BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, May-16-2019, 09:42:13 AM   #1
derek2079

United States

Default Cost to code smg to 6 speed?

Iím thinking about buying an e46 m3 and obviously I would have it pre purchased inspectionEd if before I bought it but this car was a smg to 6 speed swap. I took it for a test drive yesterday it drove okay. Needs work.

The person who did the swap never did a coding flash. So it wonít pass emissions because the dash lights are on.

Does anyone know what it would cost to have it programmed to a 6 speed?

Excuse me but I like to ask on forums before I ask shops for many reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jump to top derek2079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 09:42:43 AM   #2
derek2079

United States

Default Cost to code smg to 6 speed?

Iím thinking about buying an e46 m3 and obviously I would have it pre purchased inspectionEd if before I bought it but this car was a smg to 6 speed swap. I took it for a test drive yesterday it drove okay. Needs work.

The person who did the swap never did a coding flash. So it wonít pass emissions because the dash lights are on.

Old Thu, May-16-2019, 09:43:32 AM   #3
derek2079

United States

Default Approx cost to code smg to standard. Swap finished.

Old Fri, May-17-2019, 01:45:10 PM   #4
JohnVu

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Approx cost to code smg to standard. Swap finished.

The flash itself is super easy to do and only costs about $20 for the software license. Go to

http://www.ecuworx.co.uk/how-to/a-ru...-what-they-do/

Read through the How to's so you get a good idea of how it all works. If I remember correctly, here are the basic steps.

1. Buy a OBDII cable that has a legit FTDI FT232R chip. I got mine off ebay and it worked without having to re-solder any connections. Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/15318786216...item23aab54694

2. Plug in cable and install the necessary drivers.

3. Use BMWFlash to read the full ECU Binary file. I suggest you make a copy of this file just in case something gets messed up later. Software found here:
https://bimmersoftware.com/bmwflash

4. Use ECUWorxBinConverterV1.0.0.exe (Found on the ECUWORX download page) to convert the full read to a partial read. Again, make a copy just in case.

5. Load the partial read into the Binary Modification Tool (Found on the ECUWORX download page).

6. Pay for the license. This will require you to start a license procedure after uploading your file. The prompts are straight forward, just follow the instructions. Martyn is pretty quick and should have everything completed within 24 hours.

7. In the "Transmission Swap" section, select Manual instead of SMG.

8. Make any other changes you think are necessary. I would add the shift lights at least.

9. Click "Write changes" and a new binary file will be created. Name this file so you know exactly which one it is.

10. Use BMWFLASH to flash the new file to your car. Then start it up and see how it goes!

It may seem like a lot of steps at first but it is actually pretty simple. I think I got everything in order but if I am missing something or got something wrong, somebody please chime in! Also, all of this information can be found on the forums so you can go back and double check. Good luck and enjoy the M3! =)
Jump to top JohnVu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 01:58:06 PM   #5
ATB88

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVu View Post
The flash itself is super easy to do and only costs about $20 for the software license. Go to

http://www.ecuworx.co.uk/how-to/a-ru...-what-they-do/

Read through the How to's so you get a good idea of how it all works. If I remember correctly, here are the basic steps.

1. Buy a OBDII cable that has a legit FTDI FT232R chip. I got mine off ebay and it worked without having to re-solder any connections. Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/15318786216...item23aab54694

2. Plug in cable and install the necessary drivers.

3. Use BMWFlash to read the full ECU Binary file. I suggest you make a copy of this file just in case something gets messed up later. Software found here:
https://bimmersoftware.com/bmwflash

4. Use ECUWorxBinConverterV1.0.0.exe (Found on the ECUWORX download page) to convert the full read to a partial read. Again, make a copy just in case.

5. Load the partial read into the Binary Modification Tool (Found on the ECUWORX download page).

6. Pay for the license. This will require you to start a license procedure after uploading your file. The prompts are straight forward, just follow the instructions. Martyn is pretty quick and should have everything completed within 24 hours.

7. In the "Transmission Swap" section, select Manual instead of SMG.

8. Make any other changes you think are necessary. I would add the shift lights at least.

9. Click "Write changes" and a new binary file will be created. Name this file so you know exactly which one it is.

10. Use BMWFLASH to flash the new file to your car. Then start it up and see how it goes!

It may seem like a lot of steps at first but it is actually pretty simple. I think I got everything in order but if I am missing something or got something wrong, somebody please chime in! Also, all of this information can be found on the forums so you can go back and double check. Good luck and enjoy the M3! =)
It's actually more complicated than that if you want to do it properly -- you need to re-code some modules (I think gauge cluster and something else?) to not have the SMG option using NCSExpert. Also, rather than using martyn's tool to edit your SMG tune to be manual, I would just load an actual manual tune which is just as easy, but to each their own.

Anyway, it's still perfectly doable if you have patience. There's a good DIY here: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=603898
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 02:07:08 PM   #6
JohnVu

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB88 View Post
It's actually more complicated than that if you want to do it properly -- you need to re-code some modules (I think gauge cluster and something else?) to not have the SMG option using NCSExpert. Also, rather than using martyn's tool to edit your SMG tune to be manual, I would just load an actual manual tune which is just as easy, but to each their own.

Anyway, it's still perfectly doable if you have patience. There's a good DIY here: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=603898
Ahhh okay, I was under the impression that Martyn's tool would disable everything needed to get it to function properly. When I asked him directly if just clicking that Manual option would make the car work perfectly, he replied, "yes". I have never done the swap so I can't say anything for certain.

However, I don't think getting a manual tune would really be necessary as the motors should be tuned the same in manual or SMG, as they are both technically using the same transmission. If the car had an automatic transmission to begin with then I would agree with you. I only say this because I have driven a manual swapped SC300 that didn't get retuned yet and that was an extremely interesting driving experience lol.
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 02:26:39 PM   #7
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Ahhh okay, I was under the impression that Martyn's tool would disable everything needed to get it to function properly. When I asked him directly if just clicking that Manual option would make the car work perfectly, he replied, "yes". I have never done the swap so I can't say anything for certain.

However, I don't think getting a manual tune would really be necessary as the motors should be tuned the same in manual or SMG, as they are both technically using the same transmission. If the car had an automatic transmission to begin with then I would agree with you. I only say this because I have driven a manual swapped SC300 that didn't get retuned yet and that was an extremely interesting driving experience lol.
There are minor differences in the tunes that mostly impact idling. Itís certainly drivable, but it makes sense to just use the manual software
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 02:40:17 PM   #8
ATB88

United States

Quote:

Sure, so, it's not a huge difference one way or the other.

When Martyn says "yes" that everything will function properly, I think he means that functionally, the car will drive as it should. And I think he's right about that. From what I understand, what his tool does is it takes the SMG tune on the car and edits the places where it differs from the 6MT tune and makes it look like the 6MT tune (at least in the places that affect driving functionality). Yes the motors for the 6MT and SMG are the same and the "tune" is the same, but there are certain conditions where each will behave a little differently (for example, when the clutch is disengaged, what signals does it look for, is it going to catch itself if the RPMs dip below 500 before the next gear is engaged etc etc). Martyn's tool takes those aspects of the SMG tune and makes them behave as the 6MT tune would.

You're right in some sense that getting an actual manual tune isn't fully necessary. But why not? You're flashing a file to your ECU anyway, why not just flash the actual factory manual tune (where there is zero possibility of error or bugs) instead of an SMG tune edited to act like a manual? It takes the same amount of effort (low) and is completely free, unlike Martyn's tool. To be clear I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the way Martyn's tool edits an SMG tune to be like a manual, but I see no reason not to put the actual manual tune from BMW on if it's just as easy and free. There's no point in paying for the tool if that's all you want from it. Now, if you want to take advantage of the many other nice easy coding tasks that Martyn's tool lets you do, then absolutely, go ahead and pay for it, it's a very nice tool.

The reason I say that there is extra coding to be done beyond what Martyn's tool does if you want to do things "properly" is that Martyn's tool only changes the software on the ECU. The car has many other independent electronic modules with their own software/settings (gauge cluster, light control module, DSC module, etc) that martyn's tool doesn't touch. These modules are coded to know if the car is SMG or 6MT and may behave slightly differently in each case. Changing them to think the car is 6MT is what NCSExpert is required for. That said, I can't remember exactly what differences might arise if you don't touch them. I'm sure just flashing a 6MT tune or using Martyn's tool the car will be perfectly drivable and should pass emissions, but if you're picky and want your car to be fully converted and know everything's going to behave, that's what you do.

Last edited by ATB88; Fri, May-17-2019 at 02:46:11 PM.
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 03:02:03 PM   #9
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

When Martyn says "yes" that everything will function properly, I think he means that functionally, the car will drive as it should. And I think he's right about that. From what I understand, what his tool does is it takes the SMG tune on the car and edits the places where it differs from the 6MT tune and makes it look like the 6MT tune (at least in the places that affect driving functionality). Yes the motors for the 6MT and SMG are the same and the "tune" is the same, but there are certain conditions where each will behave a little differently (for example, when the clutch is disengaged, what signals does it look for, is it going to catch itself if the RPMs dip below 500 before the next gear is engaged etc etc). Martyn's tool takes those aspects of the SMG tune and makes them behave as the 6MT tune would.

You're right in some sense that getting an actual manual tune isn't fully necessary. But why not? You're flashing a file to your ECU anyway, why not just flash the actual factory manual tune (where there is zero possibility of error or bugs) instead of an SMG tune edited to act like a manual? It takes the same amount of effort (low) and is completely free, unlike Martyn's tool. To be clear I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the way Martyn's tool edits an SMG tune to be like a manual, but I see no reason not to put the actual manual tune from BMW on if it's just as easy and free. There's no point in paying for the tool if that's all you want from it. Now, if you want to take advantage of the many other nice easy coding tasks that Martyn's tool lets you do, then absolutely, go ahead and pay for it, it's a very nice tool.

The reason I say that there is extra coding to be done beyond what Martyn's tool does if you want to do things "properly" is that Martyn's tool only changes the software on the ECU. The car has many other independent electronic modules with their own software/settings (gauge cluster, light control module, DSC module, etc) that martyn's tool doesn't touch. These modules are coded to know if the car is SMG or 6MT and may behave slightly differently in each case. Changing them to think the car is 6MT is what NCSExpert is required for. That said, I can't remember exactly what differences might arise if you don't touch them. I'm sure just flashing a 6MT tune or using Martyn's tool the car will be perfectly drivable and should pass emissions, but if you're picky and want your car to be fully converted and know everything's going to behave, that's what you do.
Youíll definitely get DSC and instrument cluster errors if you donít recode those.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 06:48:06 PM   #10
JohnVu

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

Ahhh okay, good to know! Thanks for the good info! I originally planned to do the swap but started to fall in love with the SMG. Just relocated everything over so I have abandoned the swap for now. Maybe some day in the future this info will be relevant to me again. I thank you in advance for when that day comes =).