BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, May-14-2019, 02:58:20 AM   #1
norcal420
mass nerder

In the garage:

United States

Default Thinking of selling (opinions wanted)

Hey all,

I've lusted and loved my M3 for about a decade now and I'm seriously starting to give consideration to something 'new'. I think I want a 2013+ 650i Coupe (not the ****ing Gran Coupe BS).

I think I could get $15k for the M3 and either add cash or a small loan which wouldn't affect my finances much. Maybe higher insurance costs but I'm guessing gas would be similar.

While I love the E46 M3, I want a true GT. I thought that was the E46, but I guess it's too 'racecar' for me at this point in my life and I want something softer. Something that still turns heads. Something that's offers a bit more leg room for my young-ish kids. Something with more tech.

Thoughts? I hear the F13 guzzles oil for the turbo and the front seats can cause some issues. Anything else I should think about? Will repairs be worse on a newer 6-series or about the same as an old M car?

Appreciate it.
Jump to top norcal420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 05:28:20 AM   #2
umichchris

United States

Default Re: Thinking of selling (opinions wanted)

Depending on your repair budget and masochism threshold...you could consider the E63 M6. A buddy of mine had an LCI Alpine White one with SMG and honestly it’s one of the best GT cars I’ve ever put hands on.

Woefully unreliable with that S85 (I own an E60 M5 so I’ve learned the hard way) but once they are sorted...they are amazing.

Dirt cheap these days too.
Jump to top umichchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 05:31:30 AM   #3
2001E46m

United States

I recommend a used Tesla model S.
Go test drive it, it's a great GT car. Cost to run is way cheaper than a Bimmer.
$45k you should be able to buy a P85 version. 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

Last edited by 2001E46m; Tue, May-14-2019 at 05:37:16 AM.
Jump to top 2001E46m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 12:24:08 PM   #4
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by umichchris View Post
Depending on your repair budget and masochism threshold...you could consider the E63 M6. A buddy of mine had an LCI Alpine White one with SMG and honestly it’s one of the best GT cars I’ve ever put hands on.

Woefully unreliable with that S85 (I own an E60 M5 so I’ve learned the hard way) but once they are sorted...they are amazing.

Dirt cheap these days too.
I second this. I have an E63 M6 and they are amazing cars. Once sorted out. Better to buy already sorted out. They are incredible bargains right now. In fact, I might be selling mine soon (sorted out) for not much more than you plan on selling your M3 - so if you decided to go that way - let me know.
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 12:27:30 PM   #5
Paulo M

United States

C63 S coupe is nicest looking today imo. Much more comfortable and you get new tech. The look and sound will attract attention from the right crowd. Bigger and more of a true GT car than the e46 m3.
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 02:39:58 PM   #6
ATB88

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
I second this. I have an E63 M6 and they are amazing cars. Once sorted out. Better to buy already sorted out. They are incredible bargains right now. In fact, I might be selling mine soon (sorted out) for not much more than you plan on selling your M3 - so if you decided to go that way - let me know.
I've always been pretty curious as to why tons of people out there are singing the praises of/want an E60 M5 but nobody every talks about the E63 M6? Is it the loss of practicality in the smaller rear seats (I assume they're smaller) and loss of two doors? Surely that would come with weight savings/performance advantage, no? I've never driven either but again just curious since the M5 is so popular and the M6, at theoretical face value, seems like it should be the better performance car.
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 02:52:48 PM   #7
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB88 View Post
I've always been pretty curious as to why tons of people out there are singing the praises of/want an E60 M5 but nobody every talks about the E63 M6? Is it the loss of practicality in the smaller rear seats (I assume they're smaller) and loss of two doors? Surely that would come with weight savings/performance advantage, no? I've never driven either but again just curious since the M5 is so popular and the M6, at theoretical face value, seems like it should be the better performance car.
M6 was produced in much smaller numbers, due to the fact that the price sticker was around $20K more when new for pretty much the same car. 0.1 second better time 0-60, about 60 pounds weight savings over M5, and even the carbon roof were not enough to outweigh the lack of practicality. It is an AMAZING car, though. Especially now that a clean one with low miles can be had for under $25K.

I think it is much easier to justify buying an M5 to your spouse - oh, its just a family sedan vs. oh, its a V10 monster coupe. I absolutely love mine, now that I fixed all the "typical" issues.
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 02:56:20 PM   #8
norcal420
mass nerder

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by umichchris View Post
Depending on your repair budget and masochism threshold...you could consider the E63 M6.
Thanks for the suggestion. You sound like my buddy who suggested the same. I think my masochism threshold is too low to consider it. Plus, isn't that the Bangle butt one (no thx)?
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 02:57:08 PM   #9
norcal420
mass nerder

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001E46m View Post
I recommend a used Tesla model S.
Go test drive it, it's a great GT car. Cost to run is way cheaper than a Bimmer.
Hmmm, I hadn't even considered Tesla. Thanks!
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 03:01:57 PM   #10
norcal420
mass nerder

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
Really? Fudge, maybe I do need to rethink it. Appreciate the feedback. What are the normal things you have to sort out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
C63 S coupe is nicest looking today imo. Much more comfortable and you get new tech. The look and sound will attract attention from the right crowd. Bigger and more of a true GT car than the e46 m3.
I'll put that on my list too.

Appreciate the feedback everyone.