BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, May-14-2019, 02:17:44 AM   #11
lmtfi

United States

Default Re: OEM Rotors or CSL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehawk8 View Post
my track sessions don't usually go on longer than 30 minutes but yes sometimes they do

Do you think that a 30 minute session will be too hard on a CSL rotor?
The issue isn't heating - it is the cooling rate which streses the rotor.

I see very few drilled rotors at the track. Yes - I have seen cracked drilled rotors in the paddock. Some were on their way to failure - some had enough cracks that they were done right then.

There is nothing to be gained with drilled rotors. So given their weakness - I don't see a reason for them.
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 05:47:38 AM   #12
C///M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehawk8 View Post
Trying to decide which rotors I should choose and thought you guys know best. Keep in mind price is no issue because of FCP warranty. Also keep in mind that these are my ONLY 2 choices. My car is a daily driver that sees between 5-10 track days a year.

OEM Rotor (Blank)
Pros:
-Not prone to cracking
-Lower Heat Cycling Spikes because of increased Mass

Cons:
-No BBK upgrade
-No Where for pad buildup to go?

CSL Rotor
Pros:
-996 BBK upgrade available
-Holes for Pad buildup to escape?
-Looks freakin awesome
-More "edges" leading to better braking?

Cons:
-more prone to cracking

As of now Im more leaning to the CSL rotor because im thinking of a future 996 BBK. Somebody help me make the right choice. Thank you!
I run the 996/CSL brakes with PFC-08 and aftermarket cooling on a HPDE/competitive TT M3 and absolutely love the setup for the cost. Stock with track pads is no comparison.

Now granted I would prefer slotted discs, but with FCP lifetime warranty, decision was a no-brainer as I can replace as needed at practically no cost.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jump to top C///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 07:47:06 AM   #13
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

how does that business model work...i predict they will be closing shop very soon lol

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
385.7 whp 288 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 01:32:42 PM   #14
lmtfi

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
how does that business model work...i predict they will be closing shop very soon lol
If it becomes a loss-leader - I suspect they would simply end that offer.
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 02:04:37 PM   #15
M3AZ
///M3AZ

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Their average customer is not a track junky who replaces half their car every 6 months.

Jump to top M3AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 02:16:31 PM   #16
Steve M3

United States

Quote:
They sell for higher margin up front and probably hope that the process is too annoying for most returns to be completed properly. Between that and people that get a.d.d. and change cars often, thus losing the "warranty", I'd think they are safe when it comes to having to close up shop. If anything, this is cheaper than a marketing budget for them as they seem to get mentioned in almost every single thread posted here. Not a bad strategy when you really think about it. I too wonder if/when the program will be put to an end. It would be extremely interesting to see the utilization rate of their program.
Jump to top Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 02:32:32 PM   #17
ATB88

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
They sell for higher margin up front and probably hope that the process is too annoying for most returns to be completed properly. Between that and people that get a.d.d. and change cars often, thus losing the "warranty", I'd think they are safe when it comes to having to close up shop. If anything, this is cheaper than a marketing budget for them as they seem to get mentioned in almost every single thread posted here. Not a bad strategy when you really think about it. I too wonder if/when the program will be put to an end. It would be extremely interesting to see the utilization rate of their program.
Indeed, this is what I also suspect (really the only thing that makes sense). I'm very curious what their internal numbers on this have looked like in the last couple years. I've got most possible wear items on my fuel system, intake, drivetrain, and brakes (went with CSL rotors myself, with Castrol SRF Racing fluid cuz why not) FCP warrantied at this point and it's very comforting to know that there's little else I can spend on this car at this point. I plan to keep the car for a very long time, but the average FCP customer probably won't. I really hope the deal lasts at least a few more years, but who knows if/when it'll go away.
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 02:34:00 PM   #18
nervous24

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
The cost of the program is effectively their marketing budget. They are also a huge company. If the program was hurting their bottom line it would already be gone.

I did some research on different company that did the same thing. The posted 128mil profit the year prior and used 1.5% of net profit to fund the program. For pennies they generate undying customer loyalty and reap the rewards of an outrageous number of referrals. Rinse and repeat.

On the face it seems insane but if you make enough money it’s a brilliant business model. Also, 99% of their customers won’t ever return a single part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
They sell for higher margin up front and probably hope that the process is too annoying for most returns to be completed properly...
They are a little higher than other online retailers but not always. I’ve priced out bigger jobs (like my SMG swap) and the prices varied by small amounts.

Clearly you’ve never returned anything with them or you’d know the process is painfully easy for any product. I just did a round of maintenance and sent back a pile of crap (including diff fluid). They received the items on Monday and it was processed and refunded Tuesday by the time I woke up.

Also, a tip for those that use the service. Use paypal when you buy replacement parts. The money gets back to your account 1-2 days ahead of a return processed to a card.

Last edited by nervous24; Tue, May-14-2019 at 02:42:39 PM.
Jump to top nervous24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 02:55:11 PM   #19
Steve M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervous24 View Post

They are a little higher than other online retailers but not always. Iíve priced out bigger jobs (like my SMG swap) and the prices varied by small amounts.

Clearly youíve never returned anything with them or youíd know the process is painfully easy for any product. I just did a round of maintenance and sent back a pile of crap (including diff fluid). They received the items on Monday and it was processed and refunded Tuesday by the time I woke up.

Also, a tip for those that use the service. Use paypal when you buy replacement parts. The money gets back to your account 1-2 days ahead of a return processed to a card.
I've never purchased from them but they've 'clearly' done a good job of recruiting you as a non-paid salesperson. Another benefit of their business model
Jump to top Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 03:56:57 PM   #20
Blaikenstein

In the garage:

United States

I now buy all my consumables for the m3 as well as my wifeís Land Rover through fcp. I made the mistake of buying my initial round of maintenance items through ecs because their packaged kits were very easy to throw in a cart and go, thatís being corrected as I move forward into track/camping season. Itís a killer program and as mentioned I donít think itís actually as crazy on the p&l as people think.
Jump to top Blaikenstein is offline   Reply With Quote