BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, May-14-2019, 12:50:13 PM   #21
11b4

United States

Default Re: Car going through batteries fast?

This morning on my way to work the dsc, brake, abs, and tire light came on. Luckily it was right before I pulled into the parking lot. I noticed my radio cut out first. Then the dash lights followed a couple minutes after. Then a couple hours after PT I went to get gas, car started up fine then a minute or two later the radio cuts out followed by dash lights. This time the brake light flashing red. The alternator is defiently failing. I'm about to overnight a alternator so I'm asking for feedback here. Are remanufactured Bosch alternators reliable? All I'm finding is new valeo, new oem and remanned Bosch I have a new valeo and it's obviously not working. I'm not going to throw $600+ and a oem alternator just because it has a bmw logo on it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Jump to top 11b4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 02:08:26 PM   #22
elbert
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Wales

Valeo is the OEM for M3 alternators. If your Valeo is new, ask for a replacement.

Avoid reman Bosch alternators like the plague, too many issues with them (ironically enough)

I would also double check to make sure all the connectors are tight (including all ground straps) and wiring is in good condition.
Jump to top elbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 02:46:01 PM   #23
Aeko

In the garage:

United States

If you haven't already found the source of the pop do that, and keep a fire extinguisher handy in case your + lead is shorting somewhere... maybe I'm a bit paranoid.

It's also worth chasing parasitic draw once you have a multimeter. If you have a problem caused by a short, then you will probably see that when looking for parasitic draw.

If you wanna make REAL donuts, run Crisco in your diff.
Jump to top Aeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 02:47:41 PM   #24
sapote

United States

If you don’t want to throw another $600 then don’t buy another alternator until having the proof. It’s not enough to blame the alternator.
Jump to top sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 05:35:18 PM   #25
hbalzanya69

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11b4 View Post
This morning on my way to work the dsc, brake, abs, and tire light came on. Luckily it was right before I pulled into the parking lot. I noticed my radio cut out first. Then the dash lights followed a couple minutes after. Then a couple hours after PT I went to get gas, car started up fine then a minute or two later the radio cuts out followed by dash lights. This time the brake light flashing red. The alternator is defiently failing. I'm about to overnight a alternator so I'm asking for feedback here. Are remanufactured Bosch alternators reliable? All I'm finding is new valeo, new oem and remanned Bosch I have a new valeo and it's obviously not working. I'm not going to throw $600+ and a oem alternator just because it has a bmw logo on it.

Someone I know had problems like this with their e36 a few years ago. Positive battery cable (that runs from the battery in the truck through to the front of the car) was worn through and was shorting out on the body of the car.

These cars are very sensitive to voltage drops and it sounds like that is what you're experiencing. I agree with the other guy, keep an extinguisher and check your wiring for shorts, particularly the main positive cable.

Last edited by hbalzanya69; Tue, May-14-2019 at 06:05:19 PM.
Jump to top hbalzanya69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 05:43:05 PM   #26
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Yeah I’m not convinced you have a bad alternator just yet. Sounds more like you have a short resulting in very high battery draw. Measure that current draw before throwing parts at it
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 05:55:17 PM   #27
Pnick

United States

In any case...once you figure out what's causing it and get it fixed and need to replace the alternator, new Valeo unit for $206.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...317831436#desc

But do find out what is causing it first before you stick another one. There is a reason why alternator is giving out (same with your battery for that matter). Less than 24-hours for a battery and it died? There is something serious going on and needs to be resolved first.

05-SMG/IB/CINN/ZCP/SUNROOF_DELETE
If they don't meet your standards, lower yours!
Jump to top Pnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-15-2019, 12:02:28 AM   #28
11b4

United States

I am stupid... I didn't fully connect this or it came undone after a month or so.. probably the first one. Going to let the car idle and get everything tested out. Sorry for wasting people's time.

Jump to top 11b4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-15-2019, 12:25:16 AM   #29
Pnick

United States

Naah! you just exercised our brain cells...

05-SMG/IB/CINN/ZCP/SUNROOF_DELETE
If they don't meet your standards, lower yours!
Jump to top Pnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-15-2019, 05:54:03 PM   #30
sapote

United States

That connector has 2 wires: one for feeding the 12V to the regulator which manages the rotor current to generate the charging voltage; the other wire connected to the DME. With the connector opened the alternator is a dead duck.
Jump to top sapote is offline   Reply With Quote