BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 12:17:35 AM   #1
Smoove1

United States

Default If I were in high school I'd build it like this: My '99 M3 build

Hi Guys,

I've been around here for a while but mainly stay in the E46 section. Last month a purchased a 1999 M3 from a good friend so I figured I'd use this thread to track my progress. This is the 5th E36 M3 and 8th e36 I've owned. The previous 4 M3s were all sedans (2 Techno, 1 Estoril, 1 Tiag). I'm currently in the process of selling my E46 M3 so this car is helping me get over it. The E46 just became too track focused where it became a terrible weekend car to drive the kids around in.

I had a white E30 sedan in high school but always wanted a E36 M3 coupe like the ones I used to see on DTMpower.net and BF.c. My idea with this M3 is to build my high school self the car he always wanted. Given that I have the means and the ability to work on and setup the car to my liking i figure why not? It also helps that I convinced my wife that this car will be my "cheap fun" in comparison to the E46.

So this is how I purchased it:

The friend I bought it from used to use it as his daily driven track car. I purchased it with 198k miles. Suspension is the Ground Control track school kit with Eibach sway bars. Wheels are 17x9 CCW classic race. It also came with a Dinan front strut brace.

I personally found the wheels to be hideous so I swapped them out for a set of square 8.5" DS2s. I later replaced the worn out tires they came with with a fresh set of Bridgestone RE71r in 255/40r17.

Next up, I swapped out the black grills for a brand new, genuine set of chrome grills. I just need to get the second set of fog light deletes painted along with a rear tow hook cover. Then my front end will look much tidier.

My friend originally had an Abrahams Motorsports LTW wing on the car but swapped out the trunk lid. A little bit of time passed and I proposed some pretty compelling arguments so he finally gave it up:

I didn't think it would be worth it to just waste my track tires on the street so I convinced myself I needed a set of street wheels. I have a low offset set of 18x9.5 Forgeline RS' in my garage but I didn't want to do excessive fender rolling like I've done in the past. I guess I'll just save them for another project one day. Instead, I found a nice set of one of my dream wheels: Fikse FM5s in 18x9in square.

I made it over to R Compound to get some tires for my new wheels and these are the results:

Lastly, I installed my Recaro Pole Position driver's seat and italvolanti Formel steering wheel. I think it looks good as well as serves it's purpose. I'm trying to find a single, black Recaro SRD for the passenger side so my kids can still get in the back seat.

That's all for now. Not bad for a month of ownership. Next up is a whole lot of clean up, paintless dent removal, tint removal, and track prep. I'm too old to have a beat up looking E36. I must say, it's been pretty fun trying to find all the parts I wanted back when I was a teenager. I'm going to try my best to not turn it into a dedicated track car but I love race car parts now as much as I did back then so we'll see I guess.

My Build Thread

Last edited by Smoove1; Tue, Apr-30-2019 at 04:16:51 AM.
Jump to top Smoove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 12:45:48 AM   #2
westopher

Canada

Default Re: If I was in high school I'd build it like this: My '99 M3 build

****in rights that looks good. I came into it with the same mentality that I was going to build my "high school" e36, and also drove an e30 in high school. Things changed a bit though, as 205s and 17x10/11 Schmidt wheels are something I grew out of!

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 109k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 175k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 03:31:36 AM   #3
James D

United States

///Marvelous

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
Jump to top James D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 04:14:13 AM   #4
Smoove1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
****in rights that looks good. I came into it with the same mentality that I was going to build my "high school" e36, and also drove an e30 in high school. Things changed a bit though, as 205s and 17x10/11 Schmidt wheels are something I grew out of!
Thank you!

I still love the look of stretched tires but I've grown out of it as well. I still remember that awful noise from the rear of the car when I used to rub rim.

Your car looks great BTW. Super well done.

My Build Thread
Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 04:38:20 AM   #5
Contracheatcode

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: If I were in high school I'd build it like this: My '99 M3 build

Love the story. Car is looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Contracheatcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 01:31:46 PM   #6
W///

In the garage:

Thailand

This is just 1 month in to your ownership? That's way good.

Did you ever consider dialing the E46 back instead of selling completely? That's also a very good looking car.

I can't imagine owning 8 different cars from the same model! This one looks pretty clean for its mileage.

Jump to top W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 03:29:13 PM   #7
97_4dr_5spd_m3
Old College Kid

In the garage:

United States

I appreciate the Fiskes, but think that I like the black rims on there better. Different strokes I guess.

Also, it is a bit low and is that M3 badge on the lid with the wing off a bit?
Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 03:35:59 PM   #8
Smoove1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
This is just 1 month in to your ownership? That's way good.

Did you ever consider dialing the E46 back instead of selling completely? That's also a very good looking car.

I can't imagine owning 8 different cars from the same model! This one looks pretty clean for its mileage.
Thank you!

I thought a lot about dialing it back. I have MCS double adjustables w/ remote reservoirs on it and they actually ride really good. The car as is works really well on track. The engine is stock with just some bolt-ons. I feel like I've peaked with it and the next step would be to fully strip it or start spending on some expensive power mods and aero.

At this point, I rather sell someone a good, capable car they can just maintain and learn to drive. I've put so much time into the setup that taking it to the track in a slower state would feel like a waste of time. Granted, the E36 is slower but my goal is to chase down all my best lap times in the E46 with the E36.

My Build Thread
Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 04:27:05 PM   #9
profesah x

United States

Fitment on the wing looks pretty good.
Jump to top profesah x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 06:50:02 PM   #10
Smoove1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_4dr_5spd_m3 View Post
I appreciate the Fiskes, but think that I like the black rims on there better. Different strokes I guess.

Also, it is a bit low and is that M3 badge on the lid with the wing off a bit?
Big shiny wheels aren't for everyone but I've always been a fan

I'm pretty satisfied where the ride height is. I'll be replacing the front control arms as a service item and adding a roll center correction & bump steer kit at the same time so the front geometry is correct. The M3 badge needs to be re-mounted. The previous owner replaced it due to the stripes fading. It was a nice thought, poor execution.

My Build Thread

Last edited by Smoove1; Tue, Apr-30-2019 at 06:56:18 PM.