BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, May-15-2019, 03:13:22 PM   #21
spaghettiM3

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: New Build - E36 N54 Swap - How did I do it?!

Cool build. I definitely prefer this over another LS swap.

I'd be interested to see more of the e21 and e30!
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 07:56:34 PM   #22
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiM3 View Post
Cool build. I definitely prefer this over another LS swap.

I'd be interested to see more of the e21 and e30!
Thanks, I plan to do a E30 S62 Life after people revival thread coming up in June.
It's in pretty bad shape right now. Kind of like my own barn find. Standby for that coming up!
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Jump to top Macalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 07:59:01 PM   #23
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Ok, so more progress today. Today we worked on the Brake Booster Vacuum Line and the Engine Ground, but also cleaned up a little the heater hose return from the firewall down through and across to the pump.

Not much to say on the booster vacuum line. Pretty self-explanatory and relatively easy hookup. Just needed to use, yes, another Oetiker clamp! Gotta love those. I did something similar for the heater hose, so make the hose a bit more single-pieceish.

Engine ground was pretty easy too. Just make a large gauge wire that goes from the engine block to the body frame. I don’t think I picked an ideal spot for the engine frame unfortunately. I didn’t have the room I wanted to drill into the frame, so when we take the motor out, I might relocate it. The video tells all, here. Again – pretty self explanatory.

As a courtesy, I watned to send you guys a pictogram of the power steering lines and how I hooked it up. Hope this helps.

E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Sat, May-18-2019, 06:41:41 PM   #24
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Ok guys, so today we tackle the fuel system! I've decided to take the existing fuel system completely out and replace it with a known newer E46 M3 version.

So this is the old assembly from the E36 M3.

Here is the new E46 M3 Filter and Regulator. You can simply not use the regulator vacuum line. The regulator regulates the incoming fuel pressure to 5 bar, which should be more than enough for the N54.

And I labeled each of the 5 tubes (Pipes) going from front of the car to the rear of the car. Includes the 2 brake lines.

Now on to the video! It is pretty comprehensive in terms of what's entailed for the installation.
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Fri, May-24-2019, 01:44:14 PM   #25
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

So now it's time to work the Air Conditioning Lines. That's right, this track E36 will have air conditioning. And honestly, modifying the lines to adapt to the E36 was not as difficult as one might think. The video below explains it pretty well, but overall you just want to match A to B, just like with the power steering lines, and the Drivetrain Positioning.

Some pictures of the final installation after welding them together.

And here is the air conditioning schematic. As you can see there is no explicit air dryer. That's because on the E9X, the dryer is built into the condenser. I explain it on the video, but it was a godsend because it saved a lot of space in the engine bay not having to mount a big bulbous air dryer! Hope you enjoy and learn something!
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Tue, May-28-2019, 04:50:22 PM   #26
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Update for all ya'll guys! So I removed the engine - Took 25 minutes. Much easier to remove them after modifying the exhaust headers to clear the frame rail. Once I removed it, it was time for factory fixes. Up until this point, I've done just a handful of fixes.
Clutch, Release Fork, throwout bearing
Turbo Wastegate Rattle fix and rebuild kit.

That right there necessitated 3 videos, in order to cover it in the level of detail I needed. I understand there are so many Turbo wastegate rattle videos out there, but another one couldn't hurt, and there was some detail in previous videos (tips/tricks learned) that were not covered that I wanted to share with people, so I did have some info to share, which was nice.

So let's remove the engine and inspect/replace the clutch:

Once that was done, it was time to remove the turbos for bench reassembly. The 2 hardest parts of the wastegate rattle fix was:
1. Drilling out the pin with a HARD cobalt or titanium coated drill bit
2. Even harder was removing the old bushing.
To remove the bushing, I needed Heat, a grinder, and finally a punch with a 5# hammer to finally push it through. But once that was done, the rest of the reassembly was key. The one big thing I learned from doing both these turbos is to mark the location of the existing wastegate lever arm BEFORE you grind it off and remove it. Very important or everything else will be off!

The first video of removing the turbo, reworking is here:

And the second video of reassembly with all new O-Rings, seals, is here:

Finally, for those of you who want pictures, here are a few of the final shots reinstalled for your viewing pleasure!

Next up is final engine stock fixes and engine bay prep because you know what? Alpineweiss #300 paint has been acquired!!
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Wed, May-29-2019, 01:06:49 AM   #27
NolliM3

United States

Liked the exhaust class...sub for knowledge.

1995 Alpine White...X-Brace, Fan delete, Cold Air Intake, Coilover F 450 R 450
Jump to top NolliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-05-2019, 03:31:55 AM   #28
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Ok, some more progress on the E36 and the N54 Engine!

On the N54, we completed with installation of the coolant pump assembly, engine serpentine belt, tensioner, idler pulleys. I've heard about serpentine belts shredding and causing major problems by wrapping around the crank and that's no good. This is typically caused by a leaky valve cover gasket and/or oil filter housing gasket. Both of which will be replaced at a later date.

You can see all of the oil leaks here. Really bad. Happening for a while now. So I plan to powerwash the engine safely and replace all those gaskets.

I replaced the transmission output shaft with one that will work for this swap. It's from an E46 M3. Correct 96mm size to mate up to the existing E36 S52 auto transmission. Had the right spline count, size, and output seal size too. It was nearly perfect!

I fit the charge air pipe in. The video below shows why I was nervous about installing this, but I think I have it all figured out and have afforded myself the room I need to clear the frame rail.

I got the new clutch installed. I didn't have a clutch alignment tool, so I made my own and it worked out pretty darn well! I didn't even have a lathe to make it perfect. Just got lucky I guess.

I got the oil pan reinstalled with a new gasket!
Installed a new guibo, some new shifter parts and I'm good to go!

Take a look at the video below hope you like it!
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Wed, Jun-05-2019, 07:16:09 AM   #29
M3AN
321 fun...

New Zealand

The rust looks like it's as big a problem as the leaks... hope you're banishing all those parts to the bin...
Old Thu, Jun-06-2019, 01:50:52 AM   #30
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Now it's time to prepare the engine bay for paint. As a shadetree mechanic, I did my best to shave the bay. The front left wheelwell housing had damage from what looks to be a previous accident. Appears to be something that can be rectified, and I did my best to use filler and smooth out the imperfections to be less imperfect!

First, we cut out the frame rail to make more room for the charge air intake tube for the rear turbo. Couple pictures for you to mull over. I know the welds need to be improved. I'm learning how to better weld sheet metal.

Top View

Here's a quick video of the work I performed up to date. Below is more work for engine bay prep!

Then I powerwashed the engine bay. Some Before/After are pretty dramatic.

The above pic needed a lot of work, in particular the bondo that was revealed.

Powerwashing the engine.

Next up is Paint - Let's get this bay prepped and painted! Standby for more progress tomorrow!
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT