BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, May-02-2019, 03:39:25 AM   #11
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Default Re: New Build - E36 N54 Swap - How did I do it?!

All the details are here!

But I gotta vent here. This took most of the entire weekend to complete. I'm talking the planning, cardboard cutting, metal cutting, final welding. A lot of thought went into this section and I am actually pretty proud of how far this has come.

I completed the passenger frame rail and will complete the driver side soon!

On to the pictures. The Radiator core support was really challenging, but the final welding was pretty fun! I think I'm getting better at the welding here.

Close up on my sexy welds, probably some of my best ever.

Then comes the work on the frame rails. First, cut the pieces you need with cardboard. So quick and easier to fab than the metal.

Then cut it out of steel. I am using 16 gauge (.054") Mild steel

I decided to use a 2.0" stainless steel 16ga exhaust pipe to REDEFINE where the bumper bracket shock mounts within. So I faced it to the frame rail mount and tacked it in...for now

Traced a circular support bracket to help brace it in. This will get welded.

Then Tacked it all up

Now that that's all complete, it's simply a matter of placing the sheetmetal pre-cut parts, lay it over, hammer and shape it as needed, tack, shape, tack, shape, then final weld until you're happy with the final product.

I'm happy with the final product. I don't know for sure but it just feels stronger than stock. Maybe it is!

In this last photo, you can see how the radiator support bracket is integrated. That thing ain't going anywhere!

E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT

Last edited by Macalent; Thu, May-02-2019 at 03:42:26 AM.
Jump to top Macalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, May-02-2019, 03:43:21 AM   #12
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Some more updates, but no pictures. Not many really to share on this one. Sort of a boring update. And that is.

PEDALS.

Accelerator Pedal swap from the old cable driven to the new E92 Electronic.
Auto to Manual Swap and discussing hydraulic clutch theory.

Not one of my best, but still probably my most educational

E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Thu, May-02-2019, 03:56:51 AM   #13
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Default Power Steering Lines / Rack / Reservoir

Time for power steering. This was not plug and play for this swap, but it also was not difficult. Just need to be mindful of your welding. I did this for my E30 S62 swap back in the day and it worked perfect for both the power steering lines as well as the air conditioning lines. Just cut, reposition/add/remove, and then reweld. All 4 major components were set in their place, and then it was just a matter of connecting A to B.
Power Steering Rack
Pump
Reservoir
Cooler
Once I had it set in place, connect the tube to each of the components and figure out how to make them connect with minimal interference to other items (frame, other tubing...etc). When welding, I needed to make sure I didn't overheat the tube welding close to the rubber hose. So other than that, it was pretty cut and dry.
Here is the layout of the reservoir and lines before modifications:

I know it looks dirty for now. But it will all be cleaned up after final install. Here I have the high pressure tube in a vice before I cut it for reweld.

Positioning the reservoir in the general location I need it. This is not rocket science, so I needed to make an appropriately sized angle, shave it to conform to the wheel well housing, drill the holes where I needed them (using a vernier caliper), weld the nuts to the backside, then assemble.

Here's a shot of the necessary positioning of the lines going into the power steering cooler (part of the radiator subassembly)

Some pics of the lines themselves after having been welded, repositioned, and then installed.

And finally, what would this be without a video to complement the details not mentioned here!?
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Thu, May-02-2019, 08:53:25 AM   #14
M3AN
321 fun...

New Zealand

Get a new reservoir, it has a filter in it, your rack will thank you.

~$20.
Old Thu, May-02-2019, 01:46:59 PM   #15
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AN View Post
Get a new reservoir, it has a filter in it, your rack will thank you.

~$20.
Thanks, Will do. Easy enough!
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Thu, May-02-2019, 02:19:42 PM   #16
pbonsalb

Definitely inspiring! Thanks for posting details.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-02-2019, 07:29:21 PM   #17
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Definitely inspiring! Thanks for posting details.

Im trying to post as many details as I can. Id say Im about 20/30/50:

20% is the planning/postulating/theorizing/thinking
30% is the actual fabrication/procurement/welding/installation
50% is the documenting, picture/video taking, editing, and forum posting.

I plan to get much more involved with the forums in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Fri, May-03-2019, 03:45:41 AM   #18
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

What's up everyone! Another update this evening and that is EXHAUST!! So to discuss a little bit of what I did and how I did it. I wanted to keep the exhaust as stock as possible, but with a bit of a kick, so to be honest nobody knows what an exhaust will truly sound like until it's finalized and installed, but I think this will sound reasonably tame, for now.

First of all, the turbos themselves do a good amount of muffling before it even gets to the Cats. And yes, I'm keeping the catalytic converters. I'm trying to be environmentally responsible here, but more important than that I want to pass inspection, so I'll have probably a few videos on that in the future. That is my most commonly asked question for my engine swaps is emissions and inspection.

So from the turbos, they come down the modified downpipes through the cats. Keeping both O2 sensors, they then go through the 2.5" V band clamps. These are sometimes a pain to line up, even with the alignment lip built into the assembly. Especially given the welding warpage and other factors like that. Just something to keep in mind.

Then it goes to the X-pipe in a weird pre-cross over. I know it looks funky, but it's functional, and actually more efficient than doing it the other way around. Easily avoids any interference to the passenger footwell.

From the X-pipe, it gets simpler. It goes straight through to the E36 M3 stock muffler, which is also 2.5", so no restrictions there.

Like I said, this will probably be relatively quiet. If we want it a bit sportier, we can always put a magnaflow glass packed dual in/out muffler.

So I have 2 hangers. One under the transmission bracket as pictured, and then stock hangers at the muffler. This is designed as one big exhaust piece, as designed. I thought about incorporating another set of V-bands for say, any rear suspension or diff work, but the work involved with removing the back half of such a suspension is just as much work as removing the suspension from the downpipe V bands.

Now on to the pictures and the Youtube video if you care to watch!!

E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Tue, May-07-2019, 02:02:49 AM   #19
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Now it's time for the oil Cooler Install. This was not difficult. Just again connecting A to B. I used the existing E92 N54 Oil Cooler Installation location. So all parts involved are stock parts, except the mounting to the body. That's all welded. Pretty simple. I didn't take any pictures, just a video. So watch if you'd like!

E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT
Old Wed, May-15-2019, 12:58:15 AM   #20
Macalent
Drivetrain Transplanter

United States

Now it's time to install the coolant reservoir, tank, heater hose lines, and bleed line to the radiator, not to mention the actual radiator hoses themselves! The radiator was positioned perfectly to allow the upper and lower radiator hoses to be installed without obstruction. The heater hoses required the most amount of fab work, but even still it wasn't that bad.

The bleed line was also pretty easy. Being a 1/4" hose for routing, it was generally pretty easily manipulated.

Now on to the theory. This is how the coolant routes in the E36 with the N54 hoses.

Coolant Reservoir Installed with new welded mounts as well as the lower third mount (cannot see below reservoir)

The heater hose (hard line from E92) also mounted pretty easy, but I needed to cut it short and allow a 3/4" heater hose to then install on it so it can go into the heater valve on the firewall. I installed this hard line to the steering rack bolts. Just needed to make a few extra relocating brackets to accurately position it.

And just for fun, 3 Swapped 3 series!
E30 S62,
E21 S54
And the work in progress E36 N54!

Now on to the video of progress!!

Thank you guys for reading - Hope you are learning something!
E30 M30 Swap
E31 S85 Swap
E36 N54 Swap
What's next?!?
@garageaholic Insta/YT