BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, May-14-2019, 10:57:47 PM   #261
fastsoup

Canada

Default Re: I think it's the SMG pump...hopefully not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG cog light View Post
Whether you used the original or not. It is based on the last time you opened your hydraulic lines. The tool has no idea whether you have an old accumulator or a new accumulator. But when it doesn't read pressure, it will assume that you have a faulty accumulator. If it reads some pressure you will get the drive for 1000 KM message. I don't know what parameters the tool use to read the pressure inside the accumulator but i do know that you can also use the live data test (in my previous posts) to get an idea of the charge. (I believe this is how the foxwell tool also figures out the pressure inside the accumulator). The accumulator works in conjunction with the hydraulic pressure sensor. Whenever you opened your lines again, you will have to wait another 1000 KM. The other tools to use that won't have to wait until 1000 KM is the DIS and INPA.
Fair enough. I'll wait 1000km before attempting again. All I know is that the motor primes for 3-4 seconds now when I open my door. It would be a shame for it to prematurely die because of a bad accumulator.

I don't have LIVE DATA selection in Drive - SMG transmission
Jump to top fastsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 11:02:25 PM   #262
fastsoup

Canada

Quote:
transmission adaptation requires 11v-12v+ battery power. make sure you have a battery charger connected to the car during procedure. low battery will affect success rates.
Tried this again with charger connected...didn't ask about battery voltage at the beginning of the test. Heard the pump going crazy and the motor continually priming. Finally got a completed correctly message
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 11:53:22 PM   #263
SMG cog light

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsoup View Post
Thanks for clarifying that. This means I need to redo my full adaptions. How long does it usually hang up for? It was almost 20 mins with nothing happening. Here is the message it displays. If I click OK, it says "ended correctly" but not "completed correctly"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jkfktqfb06...62453.jpg?dl=0
It doesn't hang up. It will say test "end" that is when you can press ok.
pressing ok will take you to the next screen where it says ended correctly.

If it doesnt say test "ended" pressing Ok will not result in a message saying test ended correctly. It will just most likely take you to another menu or screen without any message.
Jump to top SMG cog light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 11:55:42 PM   #264
SMG cog light

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Fair enough. I'll wait 1000km before attempting again. All I know is that the motor primes for 3-4 seconds now when I open my door. It would be a shame for it to prematurely die because of a bad accumulator.

I don't have LIVE DATA selection in Drive - SMG transmission
it's on there. I will have to check the exact menu order again. I use this feature very often because I keep a close eye on the hydraulic fluid temperature, during hot days driving and also after I parked the car after a long drive.
Jump to top SMG cog light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-15-2019, 12:12:25 AM   #265
fastsoup

Canada

Quote:
It doesn't hang up. It will say test "end" that is when you can press ok.
pressing ok will take you to the next screen where it says ended correctly.

If it doesnt say test "ended" pressing Ok will not result in a message saying test ended correctly. It will just most likely take you to another menu or screen without any message.
Thank you sir for clarifying! That then completes my SMG motor swap.
Old Wed, May-15-2019, 12:12:47 AM   #266
fastsoup

Canada

Quote:
it's on there. I will have to check the exact menu order again. I use this feature very often because I keep a close eye on the hydraulic fluid temperature, during hot days driving and also after I parked the car after a long drive.
Please do...very curious.
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 03:23:38 PM   #267
JohnVu

In the garage:

United States

Hey everyone!

I just found this thread today and have been in the process of relocating the SMG pump on my 02 M3. I had to fab up my own bracket because no one makes one for the 01-02 models yet.

One idea I had was to relocate the accumulator so that it could be detached from the SMG pump and mounted separately. This would also allow us to purchase a much cheaper accumulator that is potentially refillable. Can anyone with accumulator knowledge chime in on whether or not this is a good idea? I don't know if the additional length of hydraulic hose will affect functionality of the acc.
Jump to top JohnVu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 03:41:58 PM   #268
fastsoup

Canada

So the car has been awesome. Shifts feel good...the other day it was 25'c and I was running errands in town and not a blip. Motor primes take roughly 4-5 seconds.

The only thing I'm concerned with is the ACC. When I open the door (after being away for over an hour) and I hear the motor prime, if I get in & turn key over, leave engine off, I can shift 3-4 times before I hear the motor prime again. Does this mean 3-4 shifts before the ACC needs to be filled again by the motor?

If yes, I'm curious, if anyone with a newly installed ACC, can try the scenario above and tell me how many shifts you get before you hear your motor prime.
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 06:24:04 PM   #269
Texaz3

United States

3-4 shifts is about right.
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 07:06:41 PM   #270
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
So the car has been awesome. Shifts feel good...the other day it was 25'c and I was running errands in town and not a blip. Motor primes take roughly 4-5 seconds.

The only thing I'm concerned with is the ACC. When I open the door (after being away for over an hour) and I hear the motor prime, if I get in & turn key over, leave engine off, I can shift 3-4 times before I hear the motor prime again. Does this mean 3-4 shifts before the ACC needs to be filled again by the motor?

If yes, I'm curious, if anyone with a newly installed ACC, can try the scenario above and tell me how many shifts you get before you hear your motor prime.
That sounds about right.
Also it's normal for the motor to engage and prime the system any time you turn the car off and then unlock the doors after having stepped away. The system will always assume you are about to drive off and will prime itself in preparation.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
Camshaft Group-Buy, OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote