BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Apr-27-2019, 12:40:00 AM   #21
wolffbimmer

United States

Default Re: Warm Start Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPNC View Post
Hah! Yep. I should have clarified that I did that on an M54. I also think it's your fuel pump, but wanted to chime in if you were still going to that the rail.
Funny. I tried signing up but you have to register request and all. So were you actually having misfires upon starting and not just a crank scenario like me?
Jump to top wolffbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Apr-27-2019, 01:04:39 AM   #22
ZHPNC

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbimmer View Post
Funny. I tried signing up but you have to register request and all. So were you actually having misfires upon starting and not just a crank scenario like me?
Yeah it would long crank and then misfire until I gave it some throttle, then smooth right out. I think the dealer that I bought it from couldn't figure it out and sold it cheap because they thought it was something serious.

I see now that you have to pay an M tax on your fuel pump too, so I understand you wanting to do a thorough root cause analysis.
Jump to top ZHPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-01-2019, 08:30:56 PM   #23
wolffbimmer

United States

Update: I didn't get to performing the fuel pressure test but I got a cheap newer and lower mileage fuel pump for $50 to throw in. While this pump is much quieter than my original; the issue happened today where it didn't start leaving work first crank. Held it for roughly 10 seconds even pressed on the gas pedal during. Second crank started right up no issue.
I'm really doubting this is even fuel pressure issue but I will try and get a gauge on there and monitor it. I'm leaving towards something with warmer ambient temps. I do have a Turner Intake Air Temp sensor relocation kit on my car. I unplugged it and put the stock plug back on so it will be pulling from the MAF sensor rather the kind I put into the lower air box. I'll report back if that issue happens again.
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 02:01:00 PM   #24
wolffbimmer

United States

Another update: The IAT relocation kit wasn't the culprit as the car did the crank but no start again so that is ruled out. Also another case where it didn't start, the car almost started (a chug was heard) so I know now this is fuel related and not ignition. At this point I decided to replace the fuel pressure regulator seeing as the pump wasn't it and injectors are highly unlikely given my no issue of misfires or codes upon start up. Since replacing the regulator it seems to be starting much easier and smoother and car feels better when running it hard. I also have a test light plugged into the fuel pump harness to ensure I'm getting power in the event it doesn't start again. I'll report back after another week or so but I've had no issues since doing the regulator. (ebay ecs tuning had the cheapest at $50 shipped in case any others need to do theirs)

Last edited by wolffbimmer; Tue, May-14-2019 at 02:08:00 PM.
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 03:12:39 PM   #25
IggyP

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Another update: The IAT relocation kit wasn't the culprit as the car did the crank but no start again so that is ruled out. Also another case where it didn't start, the car almost started (a chug was heard) so I know now this is fuel related and not ignition. At this point I decided to replace the fuel pressure regulator seeing as the pump wasn't it and injectors are highly unlikely given my no issue of misfires or codes upon start up. Since replacing the regulator it seems to be starting much easier and smoother and car feels better when running it hard. I also have a test light plugged into the fuel pump harness to ensure I'm getting power in the event it doesn't start again. I'll report back after another week or so but I've had no issues since doing the regulator. (ebay ecs tuning had the cheapest at $50 shipped in case any others need to do theirs)
I have the same problem where the car wants to start only on the second try. I am happy you most likely found a solution with the pressure regulator.
Where does it mount in the car?
Jump to top IggyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 04:15:36 PM   #26
wolffbimmer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyP View Post
I have the same problem where the car wants to start only on the second try. I am happy you most likely found a solution with the pressure regulator.
Where does it mount in the car?
It's underneath the drivers side of car where the fuel filter is. I usually have a lift to work with but couldn't this time around so I drove it up on rhino ramps, jacked up the drivers side a little and placed a jack stand too. You take off a couple of the bolts/screws to reveal the filter/regulator area. I unplugged the fuel pump and let it die and relieved the pressure via the schrader valve; have a catch can ready. You need a decent snap ring pliers to get the snap ring out that holds the regulator in, get that off and the vacuum hose and reverse install. A good bit of fuel came out after the removing the regulator as well so be ready for that.
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 04:57:18 PM   #27
IggyP

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
It's underneath the drivers side of car where the fuel filter is. I usually have a lift to work with but couldn't this time around so I drove it up on rhino ramps, jacked up the drivers side a little and placed a jack stand too. You take off a couple of the bolts/screws to reveal the filter/regulator area. I unplugged the fuel pump and let it die and relieved the pressure via the schrader valve; have a catch can ready. You need a decent snap ring pliers to get the snap ring out that holds the regulator in, get that off and the vacuum hose and reverse install. A good bit of fuel came out after the removing the regulator as well so be ready for that.
I just placed my order for the $50 non OEM from ecs. I am a little puzzled about where the snap ring is, but I will buy the pliers and figure that out when I'm under the car. I will also be doing this on jack stands.
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 05:21:41 PM   #28
wolffbimmer

United States

The regulator sits in a housing as shown in picture 1 where the snap ring attaches.
Pic 2 is from an e36 but same concept of how it works.
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 07:34:20 PM   #29
IggyP

In the garage:

United States

Thank you so much, no more questions
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 08:36:24 PM   #30
wolffbimmer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyP View Post
Thank you so much, no more questions
I have the worst luck. Car did the no start today, chugged once and just cranked. Started up perfectly second go. I'm at a loss. I'm changing the fuel filter as I spare on hand, only guess it that it's clogging with a piece of debris at the outlet. I'll report back yet again. I'm sure you can cancel your order still or return. Sorry!