BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Apr-25-2019, 04:46:31 AM   #31
SG_M3
#56 JP M3

United States

Default Re: BMW E36 M3 GT: The M3 Masterpieces Ep.2 | Carfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
What did you expect? Its a small-ish 4-banger with no torque which has to be revved real high to get any power out of it. I think your disappointment is a result of your unrealistic expectation about the car, that's all.
Could be my expectations were out of line or the fact it’s put on a podium by so many.

I never mentioned the lack of power, and yes that was one disappointment but not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Sean is fairly well versed in BMW. I would give him more credit than that. A lot more.
I’ve had a couple of cool e36’s and experience with them.

Quote:
More credit than what? That his expectation was in line and the driving experience still sucked? Wouldn't that mean that he expected it to suck? I don't see logic in your response aside from stating that Sean is well versed in BMW (which may or may not be true).
Sorry to have offended your gods chariot
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-25-2019, 05:29:15 AM   #32
twentyseven
@itsmejonnyv

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyzuko View Post
It's a rare occasion when an E36 M3 gets a proper review, but when they do the reviews always seem very underwhelming. Are these cars really so bad that the best he could muster was that it wasn't as bad as he was expecting? A good engine, but otherwise worse in every way compared to the e30...bigger, heavier, slower turn in, etc. At least he mention that they competed in FIA GT/IMSA, although no mention of how well they did.
I can say from my own experience with modern exotics, he is most certainly jaded by everything else he's driven. An E36 M3 is a great car, but it's not EXCITING. It's like your favorite old pair of sneakers. Years ago I drove a s50b30 swapped E36 and the motor felt damn near identical to my FBO S52, save for slightly better throttle response and sound. My s50b32 was a MUCH more special motor despite being only ~10% more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyzuko View Post
But from down-force produced by the wing? I thought latch failure was from the force of repeated slamming of the trunk often exacerbated by the extra trunk weight when a wing is installed.
GT/LTW wings weigh a LOT. The factory actually specified heavier duty struts to cope with this, but as most E36 owners know the latch cracks at the mounting points over time even without a wing. The standard struts can suspend a decklid with stock wing, but any Class 2 wing overpowers them and slams the trunk shut. Make sure your head is clear! BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_4dr_5spd_m3 View Post
Saw another recent review and the guy said that he had been toying with the idea of buying an E36. During the review he said that he will definitely be picking one up because of how fun the chassis was. Just that statement alone made me happy. Once you strip away what the car is and what it came from and what came after it you can start to appreciate how effing fun these cars are to drive.
This is very old. Typical young guy... got a cheap (beat) one, and proceeded to make countless follow up videos complaining what a lemon it was because he had to replace everything that was failing. Clickbait and whiner status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
On paper, especially compared to its younger siblings, the E36 doesn't appear "that great". In reality, it's so "not that bad" that it is actually quite good and a blast to drive.
Realistically, the E36 is to M3's as the 996 is to 911's. Also of the same era, they are fundamentally very different than their predecessors, and their successor was essentially just more refined and higher praised versions (IE E30 = 993, E46 = 997). While history isn't as kind to them as their siblings, those who know still think they are great cars that toe the line between modern/digital and classic/analog almost perfectly.

Quote:
What did you expect? Its a small-ish 4-banger with no torque which has to be revved real high to get any power out of it. I think your disappointment is a result of your unrealistic expectation about the car, that's all.
I always lusted for an E30 M3 from afar -only driven one literally around the block- but the price hikes on them dulled the want considerably. What ruined the car for me was driving a well-sorted S54 swapped E30 325is. The ergonomics are awkward and the car feels OLD with its 70's era suspension. Ahead of it's time but not a $50k-100k driving experience by today's standards. IMO the E36 has aged far better even despite the common build quality comparisons.

Not long ago someone elsewhere on the internet (maybe it was Reddit?) claimed the Scion FRS is the modern E30 M3. Knee-jerk reactions were abound but when he explained the similarities on paper, the two cars are very similar. Fun to see how triggered the fanbois got.

Quote:
More credit than what? That his expectation was in line and the driving experience still sucked? Wouldn't that mean that he expected it to suck? I don't see logic in your response aside from stating that Sean is well versed in BMW (which may or may not be true).
More credit than some 2015 registration date member? He's been around the scene far longer than you realize and owned/built/raced some very special BMW's.

'04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///M3 SMG coupe
V-CSL, BBS CH, Öhlins R&T, Supersprint, Brembo GT, custom Z4M seats, AVIN, G5R projector swap

'06 Jet Black + Black ///M3 SMG coupe
100% Stock. 48k mi ***FOR SALE***

'06 Alpine White + Cinnamon ///M3 ZCP 6MT coupe
Built motor by ACE performance, VF Stage 3, (610whp@16psi), KW V3
Jump to top twentyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-25-2019, 01:38:23 PM   #33
Mollzyie

United States

anybody ever seen this guys reviews 🤣

Much better 🤣

But also gives a nutshell history lesson of the first M car .
Jump to top Mollzyie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-25-2019, 02:24:16 PM   #34
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG_M3 View Post
Could be my expectations were out of line or the fact it’s put on a podium by so many.

I never mentioned the lack of power, and yes that was one disappointment but not the only one.
It's put on a podium by the same automotive "journalists" who think E36 is crap because that's what everyone reading/watching these "reviews" wants to hear. Which creates a perception exactly like you describe - an expectation that E30 is a marvel, when in reality it is underpowered car with 70's suspension design, which was not originally even designed to be road-driven, whos only claim to fame is that it was marginally better than anything else back when it was released. Bah. Good looking car, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG_M3 View Post

Sorry to have offended your gods chariot
I don't care for E30 M3 all that much. I drove several (plus buddy owns one) and know exactly what they are, which is the reason I haven't bought one, even though I had many chances back when they were $10-15K all day long. And I'm sure as hell not spending $50+K on them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyseven View Post
More credit than some 2015 registration date member? He's been around the scene far longer than you realize and owned/built/raced some very special BMW's.
Haha, really - is this how it works now? "Some 2015 registration date member" - says a guy whos entire thread history on M3F is in "parts for sale" section. You know nothing about me so to make assumptions based on my join date is pretty idiotic.

If you going to bunch your panties for some guy who 'owned/built/raced some very special BMW's' but didn't like the E30 M3 cause he expected it to be better than it was in real life, I don't think we have much to talk about here. Moving on.
Old Thu, Apr-25-2019, 04:20:22 PM   #35
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
It's put on a podium by the same automotive "journalists" who think E36 is crap because that's what everyone reading/watching these "reviews" wants to hear. Which creates a perception exactly like you describe - an expectation that E30 is a marvel, when in reality it is underpowered car with 70's suspension design, which was not originally even designed to be road-driven, whos only claim to fame is that it was marginally better than anything else back when it was released. Bah. Good looking car, though.

I don't care for E30 M3 all that much. I drove several (plus buddy owns one) and know exactly what they are, which is the reason I haven't bought one, even though I had many chances back when they were $10-15K all day long. And I'm sure as hell not spending $50+K on them now.

Haha, really - is this how it works now? "Some 2015 registration date member" - says a guy whos entire thread history on M3F is in "parts for sale" section. You know nothing about me so to make assumptions based on my join date is pretty idiotic.

If you going to bunch your panties for some guy who 'owned/built/raced some very special BMW's' but didn't like the E30 M3 cause he expected it to be better than it was in real life, I don't think we have much to talk about here. Moving on.
You’re not getting the whole picture, Tex. Jon has been around and participated here a lot longer than his current profile suggests. Sean would likely be more involved if the rest of the M3F staff had not lost their minds years ago.

Drop the defensiveness, they are both guys you want to know here. You’re not even disagreeing on the E30 anyway.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-25-2019, 05:48:00 PM   #36
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
You’re not getting the whole picture, Tex. Jon has been around and participated here a lot longer than his current profile suggests. Sean would likely be more involved if the rest of the M3F staff had not lost their minds years ago.

Drop the defensiveness, they are both guys you want to know here. You’re not even disagreeing on the E30 anyway.
Bray, I'm not being defensive, I'm just showing how easy it is not to get the whole picture by saying somebody has been only a member since 2015 or posted only in FS section. It was "tongue in cheek" comment.

All I was saying is that a lot of people are disappointed in the E30 simply because the expectations are not set right. Which is easy to do when every review out there says its amazing, blah, blah.
Old Thu, Apr-25-2019, 06:32:09 PM   #37
twentyseven
@itsmejonnyv

United States

Quote:

You just proved my point and contradicted yourself. Judging my (current) post history, but suggesting SG "may or may not be" well-versed in BMW's despite overlooking his 2003 join date is a bit of a double-standard... but I digress.

Since we are ironically all on the same page, it's not fair to go on the offensive and dismiss the 30+ years of it's generally undisputed reverence on literally every automotive outlet. Owners and journalists STILL use it to set some imaginary bar and have been doing so since I started shopping for my first BMW in 1996. Many of us had the same chance to buy E30's when they were $10k and LTW's when they were $25k. I drove two LTW's and came away underwhelmed but now it's reached cult status and the collectibility has overshadowed the driving experience itself, so you can't blame someone for being disappointed in the E30 M3 if they didn't have access to one before buying into the hype. Now both have been priced out of reach for most to realize what buyers concluded: "Cool car but why is the one parked next to it in the showroom just as fast and less expensive?"

PS I have two other friends who have been BMW enthusiasts equally as long; they bought original <40k mi E30 M3's before they were overvalued. Had their fun and enjoyed it, but also didn't keep the cars very long. And these are guys who could most certainly afford to stash one away and forget about it if they wanted to.

'04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///M3 SMG coupe
V-CSL, BBS CH, Öhlins R&T, Supersprint, Brembo GT, custom Z4M seats, AVIN, G5R projector swap

'06 Jet Black + Black ///M3 SMG coupe
100% Stock. 48k mi ***FOR SALE***

'06 Alpine White + Cinnamon ///M3 ZCP 6MT coupe
Built motor by ACE performance, VF Stage 3, (610whp@16psi), KW V3
Jump to top twentyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-26-2019, 05:07:25 AM   #38
M3AN
321 fun...

New Zealand

I'm not sure how you avoid high expectations of the E30 M3 when every article about them is so effusive. It's easy to be underwhelmed by an E30 M3, that doesn't make it a lessor car but equally, by today's standards it's not particularly special at anything.

3.0 GT? Meh IMHO. Unless you have a time capsule example you're better off with an Evo.

E36 M3 Evo Coupe | Estoril Blue | S50B32 | 6MT | Alu Doors | Z3 Rack | Simota | Remus | Bilstein | Eibach | BBS | Goodyear | Rally Road | 3.62 CWP (TBI)
Jump to top M3AN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-26-2019, 02:01:30 PM   #39
Mollzyie

United States

Well .. I think when I look at specs and see 200hp that about says it all . Same w e36 . I realize 240 isn’t beastly either . But the e36 m feels good enough for me . When people ask me if it’s fast I tell them no not really but it does what I want it to do .
Jump to top Mollzyie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-29-2019, 11:58:13 AM   #40
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

I've really enjoyed my e30 M3 drives

... though I think my favorite e30 driving experience is the 318is.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote