BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Apr-22-2019, 09:56:46 PM   #11
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

Default Re: BMW E36 M3 GT: The M3 Masterpieces Ep.2 | Carfection

Just watched it. Same incorrect info I hear and read in every review.

There were RHD GT’s made. He’s refering to the ‘GT2’ which had
some GT parts, but was based on the 3.2 engine.

There are no carbon fiber door inserts on the M3. For F sakes. He just drove the car. One look at the door panel and you can see it has no cf inserts.

I’m not 100% on the dual pickup oilpump. I’m not sure the GT got the dual pickup setup.

And again, if the ejector travel limiters are adjusted correctly, no amount of weight on the trunk is going to break the catch. As the English would say, that’s bollox.

'98 M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung
Jump to top M_Parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Apr-22-2019, 10:35:31 PM   #12
Braymond141

United States

Mpar,

I’m sure you’re mistaken on a few of those details (the GT2 came years after the GT, unsure why you even mentioned it), but the latches break regardless of those stops. Every single untouched factory original car with factory spoiler have cracked latches.

RHD “GT”
http://www.m3gtregister.com/m3gt_uk.html

Last edited by Braymond141; Mon, Apr-22-2019 at 10:38:45 PM.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-23-2019, 01:03:41 AM   #13
westopher

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Parallel View Post

There are no carbon fiber door inserts on the M3. For F sakes. He just drove the car. One look at the door panel and you can see it has no cf inserts.
He's talking about the door sills.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 109k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 175k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-23-2019, 02:09:53 AM   #14
Duck360198

United States

What a great video and review. I'm loving these reviews. Can't wait to see the entire series in its entirety.
Jump to top Duck360198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-23-2019, 04:45:50 AM   #15
Earthwormjlm
Imolarot M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyzuko View Post
It's a rare occasion when an E36 M3 gets a proper review, but when they do the reviews always seem very underwhelming. Are these cars really so bad that the best he could muster was that it wasn't as bad as he was expecting? A good engine, but otherwise worse in every way compared to the e30...bigger, heavier, slower turn in, etc. At least he mention that they competed in FIA GT/IMSA, although no mention of how well they did. The downforce from the wing breaks the boot-lid latch??...these cars must be trash.

Maybe I've been driving a modified one for too long, but I don't get the lack of praise. I'm sure when he does the e46 CSL it'll be hailed as godly.
He's British, he's not going to show significant amounts of emotion. Seemed like a very positive review to me, with hardly any criticism other than the steering. The E36 M3 GT was also no where near as hardcore of a homologation special as the E30 M3 EVO he previously reviewed, so it's not quite a fair comparison. The GT was hardly any more powerful than non GT cars and doesn't really look that different. The wing is the biggest standout detail.

He's also driving a pre-face lifted M3, so the steering is going to feel very slow. The rack used in '95 and older models is really bad, and people already complain about the '96+ racks which are quicker.
Old Tue, Apr-23-2019, 12:39:24 PM   #16
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
He's talking about the door sills.
Could be, but he says: "The doors and dash also have carbon fibre inserts".

Technically of course we here all know the sills are actually not CF at all, but have a print that mimics the CF pattern of the console/strip/ashtrays.

Bray:

Then I'm misinformed. From my old days on UK forum I thought the 50 RHD GT's were technically the same, bar RHD and wood instead of CF trim, as BMW didn't make the centre console in RHD.

This together with the 'GT2' (Imola Individual special) that only the UK market got, 50 pieces, which happen to have some of the GT bits, I thought the presenter was mixing up the RHD GT with this GT2.

Good to know.

OK strange about the lock than. But if that's how it is who am I to disagree. Other factors must be at play then.

'98 M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung
Jump to top M_Parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-23-2019, 12:45:39 PM   #17
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
It's a rare occasion when an E36 M3 gets a proper review, but when they do the reviews always seem very underwhelming. Are these cars really so bad that the best he could muster was that it wasn't as bad as he was expecting? A good engine, but otherwise worse in every way compared to the e30...bigger, heavier, slower turn in, etc. At least he mention that they competed in FIA GT/IMSA, although no mention of how well they did. The downforce from the wing breaks the boot-lid latch??...these cars must be trash.

Maybe I've been driving a modified one for too long, but I don't get the lack of praise. I'm sure when he does the e46 CSL it'll be hailed as godly.
The e30 to e36 transition was the largest increase in size, weight, comfort, etc of any of the M3 generation changes, so it's bound to show up a bit when comparing generations.

Seemed pretty positive to me, in net

I'm sure the SMG in the CSL will get hammered

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Tue, Apr-23-2019 at 01:00:33 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-23-2019, 12:54:54 PM   #18
97_4dr_5spd_m3
Old College Kid

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthwormjlm View Post
He's British, he's not going to show significant amounts of emotion. Seemed like a very positive review to me, with hardly any criticism other than the steering. The E36 M3 GT was also no where near as hardcore of a homologation special as the E30 M3 EVO he previously reviewed, so it's not quite a fair comparison. The GT was hardly any more powerful than non GT cars and doesn't really look that different. The wing is the biggest standout detail.

He's also driving a pre-face lifted M3, so the steering is going to feel very slow. The rack used in '95 and older models is really bad, and people already complain about the '96+ racks which are quicker.
I am with Jim and think that it was actually a fairly positive review.

Saw another recent review and the guy said that he had been toying with the idea of buying an E36. During the review he said that he will definitely be picking one up because of how fun the chassis was. Just that statement alone made me happy. Once you strip away what the car is and what it came from and what came after it you can start to appreciate how effing fun these cars are to drive.

PS. Here is that review...
Old Tue, Apr-23-2019, 12:57:44 PM   #19
Mollzyie

United States

Meh whatever ... I got a little nervous watching him drive that rare car on a wet track lmao .
Jump to top Mollzyie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-23-2019, 01:46:56 PM   #20
W///

In the garage:

Thailand

Quote:

I think when it comes to the E36, it's always going to be in a tough spot. As you said, the E30 came before and that's a classic in every way. Then same with the E46. So to people who just do reviews, you just get that stigma that it's never going to be the best 3 Series. As an owner, I actually agree.

Does it have the best engine ever made by BMW? No. That's US or ECE
Best looking? No, but it does have its charm
Best chassis? No, but it is really nice though
Best interior quality? Not even close
Most successful race car? Not that I know of

But as a package, especially for the price, I think it's excellent. The car is what it is. It's not going to be the most dramatic driving experience, the fastest, the best looking, but it's in general a wonderful car. I wouldn't call it the best though, but certainly not trash. I actually love driving mine in certain situations more than my E92 M3 and Z4M Roadster.

My 2 cents

Jump to top W/// is offline   Reply With Quote