BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, May-01-2019, 06:31:38 PM   #31
Paulo M

United States

Default Re: Quite Exhaust Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601 View Post
good recs per above.
you may want to consider a milltek muffler as well. i don't think it was brought up in the discussion above.
I had one of these. Far from quiet. Itís quiet from outside but drones worse than my SCZA exhaust inside. The noise change isnít linear either, it goes from silent-boomy-silent. The boomy part is in the rpm range that is used the most.

And it sounds like garbage. Lots of farting noise.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-01-2019, 06:38:53 PM   #32
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

All of the SuperSprint mufflers (street/sport/race) flow identically. If you have the need (more than ~430hp), all of them can be done by SS in 2 x 2.5" tubing and will once again flow identically to each other.

If you want a stock like quiet muffler, but with better flow and tone than stock, the SS street is the only option there is. Everything else increases volume.

I love my quiet muffler, loud intake setup. Completely civil when I'm not on it, doesn't upset any of the neighbors, sounds like an exotic when I'm on it (with no chainsaw/rasp for me or people around to hear). It's just wonderful in all situations

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-01-2019, 06:42:20 PM   #33
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

2.5 inch sport ftw^

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
385.7 whp 288 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-01-2019, 08:08:07 PM   #34
cozmo kraemer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
2.5 inch sport ftw^
I'm definitely going to have to get down with that!

Leighton, are they going to do a deal with the twinpipe and muffler together?
2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR - RE11, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, Swaintech coated SSV1 Headers/SS catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

2010 - X5 4.8 Msport - the boring daily driver

My Journal
Jump to top cozmo kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-01-2019, 08:13:27 PM   #35
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
All of the SuperSprint mufflers (street/sport/race) flow identically. If you have the need (more than ~430hp), all of them can be done by SS in 2 x 2.5" tubing and will once again flow identically to each other.

If you want a stock like quiet muffler, but with better flow and tone than stock, the SS street is the only option there is. Everything else increases volume.

I love my quiet muffler, loud intake setup. Completely civil when I'm not on it, doesn't upset any of the neighbors, sounds like an exotic when I'm on it (with no chainsaw/rasp for me or people around to hear). It's just wonderful in all situations
Agreed. "Street" seems to suggest to people that it's not going to be "different" enough from stock (I myself worried about this initially) but it actually does sound totally different (much better tone, more refined, meaty, and exotic sounding rather than the dinky tinny stock muffler) -- BUT the volume is very similar to stock muffler volumes (unlike any other mufflers) so it's a total win (and sounds exactly like that the OP is looking for). No harsh rasp, no in-cabin drone (literally none), and no reachable ceiling with regards to flow.....It's phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
2.5 inch sport ftw^
Also a great option. I cannot freaking wait to release these new Supersprint made mufflers!! Super stoked to see the oversized Supersprint Sport Renn-Haus muffler in the wild.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
Camshaft Group-Buy, OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-12-2019, 01:33:45 AM   #36
R60BBA

In the garage:

United Kingdom

Debaffle the backbox.

(Also known as the TrueBlue mod).

IG: bavarianjunkie
https://youtu.be/y0ymv8jOC0Y

Jump to top R60BBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-12-2019, 01:51:33 AM   #37
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by R60BBA View Post
Debaffle the backbox.

(Also known as the TrueBlue mod).

https://youtu.be/rfo0IAj3naU

https://youtu.be/FCdH03wwKCo
Jesus ****ing Christ. Do people not get when they post an exhaust video its to hear exhaust and not their crappy ghetto music pick of the week. Ffs, could you have any less sense than that?
Jump to top icecream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-12-2019, 02:25:56 AM   #38
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Also, if you’re looking for stock like quiet, a louder stock muffler isn’t it :P

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-12-2019, 02:28:58 AM   #39
SQ13

In the garage:

United States

I installed an OE exhaust today because I like quiet. The tips are tiny, but it beats the RE exhaust’s poor tone and terrible drone.
Old Sun, May-12-2019, 03:50:20 AM   #40
HDdave

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Honestly, this is an easy decision...*que waiting for Ian's reply confirming this*

For what you described, you want the Supersprint Street muffler. DONE.

My recommendation, if you can hold off for a few more weeks, jump on the Group-Buy that I am working on. Supersprint and I have teamed up to offer an exclusive dual branded set of oversized mufflers, modeled after the one-off custom Supersprint muffler that I am running. These will be completely exclusive and offered no where else. We will be offering custom oversized versions of their flagship mufflers (Street, Sport, Race) to compliment the new Supersprint Twin-Piped section 2 and will feature 63.5mm piping and 65mm internal muffler piping. The Street version, like mine will have special race tips for a more aggressive look (compared to the standard Street muffler tips) and a few other neat features that I will mention at a later date. These mufflers will also have a flow capacity to support 513hp...so you won't have to worry about any flow restrictions or outgrowing it with future mods.

I am running the prototype of this now and it's fantastic. I think the Street muffler version would be perfect in your case if you want the airbox induction noises to be at the forefront of auditory pleasure.

The Sport would be another good recommendation if you want a little more volume from the exhaust -- But the Street is pretty damn ideal. Don't let name "Street" put you off -- It's a potent combination on this car -- Especially when paired with a complete exhaust system like what you have going on.

With my setup:
-Supersprint V1 Headers
-Supersprint Catless Oversized Section 1
-Supersprint Twin-Piped Oversized Resonated Section 2
-Superprint Custom Oversized Street Muffler

I have ZERO in cabin drone and next to no intruding rasp (my RE El Diablo had mild/moderate drone on the interstate and embarrassing rasp at cold start for the first few minutes). The tone of my current setup from behind the car is nice, deep, and throaty...It sounds tough (surprisingly so, and not at all anemic like I expected when switching over the the quieter Street setup). Although with the windows rolled up or during casual driving, the exhaust is barely audible compared to the airbox which overshouts it. With windows rolled up, dare I say I can't hear my exhaust over my airbox. From the cabin, it's a very clean and refined noise coming from the airbox (since the exhaust isn't competing with the tone) and really showcases the beautiful noises of the airbox at all RPMs -- sounds very GT3-esque in that regard.

Having recently heard a Scorza in person -- It too is a great sounding muffler. Certainly on a louder level though. Fortunately, the tone of the Scorza and airbox are similar enough that the two sort of blend in well together as you go from lower RPM (exhaust noises) to upper RPM (airbox noises) so it doesn't really sound like the muffler is competing with the airbox -- they sort of blend together nicely. That being said, I think with the Scorza there is more of a 50/50 split of exhaust/airbox noises depending on what RPM you are at and how open the throttle bodies are. I think the Supersprint Sport would be closest to this as well and also a nice option if you want a little more coming from the back of the car. With the Supersprint Street, it's more like 85-90% induction noise and 15-10% exhaust. What I like about the actual sound of the Street, it eliminates all the unwanted droney noises of louder mufflers and retains all the refined and exotic tones that I like...but at a volume level that isn't embarrassing or obnoxious for everyday driving. Put the pedal down and the car is LOUD (but that's the airbox).

Another thing I like about my exhaust setup, which was unexpected. On decel. downshifts, I still get exhaust burbles and rumbles (I don't have the pops and bang tune)...I honestly thought the RE El Diablo was the reason I had them before. Playing cat-and-mouse with a 335i last night and pulling up to a light next to him, my car greeted him with a wicked downshift throttle blip that included the wondrous roars of the airbox and rumbles and burbles from the exhaust....it was intoxicating and met with thumbs up from the other driver. The Street muffler can and does absolutely still sound "tough" without being overly loud in volume. While the exhaust volume is more in line with the stock muffler, the tones it produces are far and away tougher sounding than the cheesy stock muffler tin-can/sewing machine noises. No comparison there.

My recommendation and perhaps I am biased (but at least I do what I preach) is to go with either the new custom oversized Supersprint Street or Sport versions I am about to release. Thank me later when you no longer have to think about exhaust optimization afterwards.

Cold Start Idling Noise:
Supersprint Custom Oversized Exhaust E46 M3 -- Cold-Start - YouTube

Brief Windows Up and then Windows Down rev -- I should really redo this:

Supersprint Custom Exhaust System E46 M3 -- Quick Rev -- Windows up, then Down - YouTube

Acceleration with Windows Halfway Down:
Supersprint Custom Exhaust System E46 M3 -- Acceleration Sounds - YouTube
Supersprint Custom Exhaust System - E46 M3 - YouTube

Here is a pull from 2nd all the way to redlining 5th gear. Windows all the way up (with windows down, you would just hear the sound of air rushing into the car at these speeds)...With windows up, all you hear is incredible airbox sounds. Perhaps the fastest I've ever been in my car:
CSL Airbox 2nd - 5th Gear Redline Pull - YouTube
(disregard the GPS talking)

If you would like, I can get some recordings of what the exhaust sounds like from behind/outside of the car. But from what you described as wanting from the airbox -- This is the perfect setup in my opinion. You will add a little more weight back to the car, but directly over the rear wheels which is the ideal location...and paired with the twin-piped section 2, you should see a nice gain in performance along with it -- which is an added bonus.

*all recordings were done with my iPhone 6 Plus

EDIT:

With all this in mind, the setup I am recommending ticks all these boxes without needing to compromise. (which is exactly why I chose it for my own car).

WOW! I have been following this thread closely, and the first one I really have loved is this setup. I would be very interested in getting in on this group buy as well. I have been very nervous to even try an exhaust because I donít want a super loud rasp or drone... But this really sounds like it might be the answer. Would love to hear a couple drive bys!