BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Apr-14-2019, 09:39:22 PM   #1
zingbmw

United States

Default Help removing head

recently found out that my intake camshaft bolts backed out. Im working on removing the head so i can assess the damage. I have the bentley manual, but that only illustrates/instructs for a 3 series and most everything about the S54 is different.

I attached a pic, so you can see where im at. I have the vanos mostly removed. I put it close to tdc and retarded both cams, but the intake cam didnt turn the splined shaft and i cant get two wrenches on the nuts to remove the vanos. included a pic that kind of illustrates it.

Also, cant seem to find a good diy for removing the throttle bodies/injectors. Not sure how to begin this uninstall.

Depending on the condition of the pistons, Ill eventually have to buy gasket kits and tools for cam alignment and anything else that should be replaced. Any good lists for tools/parts?

Ill either make a small diy or just collect the info here after im done with removing the head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190412_221523.jpg (336.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 20190412_220553.jpg (482.8 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 20190414_202949.jpg (557.5 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by zingbmw; Mon, Apr-15-2019 at 02:43:48 AM.
Jump to top zingbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Apr-14-2019, 09:41:10 PM   #2
zingbmw

United States

Default Re: Help removing head

Ill probably replace the tps, intake cam position sensor, vanos chain guide, any weak/worn gaskets or hoses and the intake cam bolts that decided to back out
Old Sun, Apr-14-2019, 10:30:29 PM   #3
kokgo20

In the garage:

United States

Do you mean the intake cam bolts broke and pistons hit the valves or the bolts just backed out?
you have to remove the metal clips securing the injector harness, it's a little PITA but with the right think tools it should be manageable.
To remove the TBs, you have to use 11mm socket and swivel on some of them and they simply slide out.
There is a bolt on the right side of the head that has to be removed in order to be able to pull the head off, IIRC its the bolt that holds the right side chain guide.
By the way the cams look, this gear is not going to come out, you may have to rotate the bottom end while trying to rotate the cams at the same time, until you get to where you can remove the intake gear.
Removing the head on S54 is not the easiest thing to do.
You should use a cam removing tool also so you don't break or bend the cams.

Build thread---------- INSTAGRAM ------------ROTREX REBUILD-------------Now offering custom digital gauges

2004 SMG PY/BLK - 600 TCKline - CPI Headers & resonated Sec1- Stoptech BBK 6 pod front & 4 pod rear with steel lines - 75mm Studs conversion - SDW monoball RTABs - AKG subframe bushings - Multi color AEs - FR-X 3.0 Projectors - Smoked Side markers - Euro bumper - V1 with hard wire & Stealth one - M Track Mod - ZCP steering rack - Dual LI - CSL Style diffuser - SCZA Exhaust - E9x Door handle LED retrofit - SCZA CSL bootlid - VEI systems custom air vent A/F & boost gauge - VEI custom air vent Water temp & oil pressure guage- Active Prima plus + TTFS tune - Mishimoto Radiator & Oil cooler - H&R front Sway - UUC camber arms - keyless & push to start system - clear bra - interiors red stitching contrast - Apex PS7s - 16" Spal fan
Jump to top kokgo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-14-2019, 10:40:00 PM   #4
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

You have lots of work in front of you.

Generally:
  1. remove the fuel and air rail (there are two bolts plus a clip that hold it on)
  2. disconnect the Throttle actuator from the TB (pops off) and remove the TB's as Koko describes
  3. remove the water pump and pipes (there is a bolt that it hides that holds head on)
  4. remove the vanos and cams (to access the head bolts).
  5. remove the headers
  6. remove the head bolts + two bolts at front under the vanos
  7. disconnect the camshaft sensors

You should be able to find individual DIY's for everything above.

I never use the cam tool but I would if someone lent me one. If you're careful, turning each nut a bit a time and working your way up and down the camshaft, you will be fine. I have used this procedure more than a dozen times with no issue.

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-15-2019, 12:26:21 AM   #5
robgill
I'd rather be at the track.

In the garage:

United States

Good DIY here.

Couple tips:
  • If you remove the VANOS piston end caps it is easier to retard the cams.
  • At TDC, drop a long screwdriver/extension/rod/etc down the cylinder 1 spark plug hole. With the rod resting on the piston, mark where the rod lines up with the top of the spark plug hole. You now have a reference to quickly check relative piston location in any cylinder.
  • When you have the engine at TDC, rotate the engine counter clockwise ~30 degrees. In this position you can freely rotate the cams as all pistons are clear (be careful, if it doesn't rotate don't force it). You can double check all pistons are clear with your reference tool above.
  • Follow the DIY above to remove the cams without the BMW tool.

My '02 E46M Build Thread
Jump to top robgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-15-2019, 01:43:45 AM   #6
sapote

United States

I prefer to drop the solenoid block 2 mms down to release the oil pressure instead of open the piston s covers which might cause o-rings leak oil later.

Then remove vanos bolts and pull vanos s to front .
Jump to top sapote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-15-2019, 02:39:53 AM   #7
zingbmw

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokgo20 View Post
Do you mean the intake cam bolts broke and pistons hit the valves or the bolts just backed out?
you have to remove the metal clips securing the injector harness, it's a little PITA but with the right think tools it should be manageable.
To remove the TBs, you have to use 11mm socket and swivel on some of them and they simply slide out.
There is a bolt on the right side of the head that has to be removed in order to be able to pull the head off, IIRC its the bolt that holds the right side chain guide.
By the way the cams look, this gear is not going to come out, you may have to rotate the bottom end while trying to rotate the cams at the same time, until you get to where you can remove the intake gear.
Removing the head on S54 is not the easiest thing to do.
You should use a cam removing tool also so you don't break or bend the cams.
Might try to avoid using the cam removal tool with the methods the other guys posted. However, for the tbs, it looks like that have to come off in a set after you loosen those 11mm nuts. do i have to remove the injector from their rail or can they come off with the tbs?
Old Mon, Apr-15-2019, 02:42:44 AM   #8
zingbmw

United States

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

This is the best guide ive found for removing vanos.

I had a leverage the 10mm wrench against the sprocket hub to pull the splined shaft out enough to get both the 10mm and 7mm wrench on it. pictured. it inches out with a slight bit of pressure.

included a pic of where im currently at with vanos, icv, and air rail removed. need to push the car back out and lift it to drain oil and coolant before i get to removing the water pump.

Also added a pic to the first post of the sheered off cam intake bolts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190414_200212.jpg (405.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20190414_220048.jpg (521.5 KB, 37 views)
Old Mon, Apr-15-2019, 02:45:19 AM   #9
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingbmw View Post
Might try to avoid using the cam removal tool with the methods the other guys posted. However, for the tbs, it looks like that have to come off in a set after you loosen those 11mm nuts. do i have to remove the injector from their rail or can they come off with the tbs?

I just remove the injectors, fuel rail and harness as one piece and move it to the driver side out of the way. I think thatís easiest. Air rail just tugs out of the TBS.

The TBS come out as one piece once you remove the 6 nuts. Some of them are tough to get to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-15-2019, 03:25:42 AM   #10
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
You have lots of work in front of you.

Generally:
  1. remove the fuel and air rail (there are two bolts plus a clip that hold it on)
  2. disconnect the Throttle actuator from the TB (pops off) and remove the TB's as Koko describes
  3. remove the water pump and pipes (there is a bolt that it hides that holds head on)
  4. remove the vanos and cams (to access the head bolts).
  5. remove the headers
  6. remove the head bolts + two bolts at front under the vanos
  7. disconnect the camshaft sensors

You should be able to find individual DIY's for everything above.

I never use the cam tool but I would if someone lent me one. If you're careful, turning each nut a bit a time and working your way up and down the camshaft, you will be fine. I have used this procedure more than a dozen times with no issue.

Thereís a bolt on the drivers side of the head that bolts into the timing chain rail...you forgot that bugger! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote