BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Tue, Apr-09-2019, 10:38:35 PM   #1
Rich.7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 396
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Rich.7 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default E46 M3 and Z4M seats weighed

E46 M3 coupe power seat with no heating and a Z4M seat power with no heating and here are the results:

E46 M3 Coupe leather seat, powered, no heat
60.4 lbs

Z4M Coupe leather seat, powered, no heat
56.8 lbs
Jump to top Rich.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 12:23:34 PM   #2
elbert
Sikkens Autocryl MM
 
elbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 744
Reputation: 0 elbert has disabled reputation
Location: wretched hive of scum and villainy

Wales




Default Re: E46 M3 and Z4M seats weighed

Good info!
__________________
04 E46 M3
17 WK2 5.7
01 E46 325iT
Jump to top elbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 02:44:16 PM   #3
stash1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,258
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 stash1 is on a distinguished road
Location: Woodstock, MD.

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 and Z4M seats weighed

Somebody was just selling a beautiful pair of Z4M Imola seats in the Marketplace that was very, very tempting!
__________________
'04 AW/IR...some mods
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 03:00:02 PM   #4
Rich.7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 396
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Rich.7 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 and Z4M seats weighed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post
Somebody was just selling a beautiful pair of Z4M Imola seats in the Marketplace that was very, very tempting!
Those seats are a fair price, good value and are very difficult to find. The Z4M seats are much better and the best seats to getting before racing buckets. You should get them.
Jump to top Rich.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 03:08:44 PM   #5
terraphantm
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,290
In the garage:
Reputation: 11 terraphantm is on a distinguished road
Location: Philadelphia

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 and Z4M seats weighed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.7 View Post
Those seats are a fair price, good value and are very difficult to find. The Z4M seats are much better and the best seats to getting before racing buckets. You should get them.
No way to get the tilt forward working with them though, right?
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 03:29:16 PM   #6
Rich.7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 396
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Rich.7 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 and Z4M seats weighed

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
No way to get the tilt forward working with them though, right?
What do you mean? It's plug and plug. The powered seats have the same connections and motors with the exception of the older M3 models have different motor connectors so you would have to get a used wiring harness. Otherwise, everything else works fine.
Jump to top Rich.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 03:35:21 PM   #7
FK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,059
Reputation: 0 FK is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 and Z4M seats weighed

They don't tilt forward like the stock seats do because there is no rear bench in a Z4M. You basically have to slide the seat forwards.

I went with Recaro buckets with heat added in instead.
Jump to top FK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 03:37:48 PM   #8
rockstar93
Registered User
 
rockstar93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 95
Reputation: 0 rockstar93 is on a distinguished road
Location: Mississauga, ON

Canada




Default Re: E46 M3 and Z4M seats weighed

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
No way to get the tilt forward working with them though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.7 View Post
What do you mean? It's plug and plug. The powered seats have the same connections and motors with the exception of the older M3 models have different motor connectors so you would have to get a used wiring harness. Otherwise, everything else works fine.
Referring to the "quick" tilt feature the E46 has to access the back seat, which the Z4M does not as it doesn't have a backseat. I've not seen anybody retrofit that feature, and because of that it's a much better idea to try and find a set of manual adjustment Z4 seats if you're going down this route purely for the convenience. If you were to electronically tilt the seat to get into the back, well it's a very slow process. This also means a greater weight savings.

Personally though, having owned both an E46 M3 and two Z4Ms, while the Z4 is slightly more supportive and "racy" feeling/looking, it's really not that comfortable. It lacks lumbar support/adjustment which is quite apparent on longer drives. Unless you were dead set on the OEM style, I'd spring for aftermarket seats.
__________________
Instagram
E46 M3 Coupe 6MT Jet Black/Cinnamon GONE
E85 Z4M Roadster Imola Red/Black GONE
E90 M3 6MT Jerez Black/Fox Red GONE
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red
Jump to top rockstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 03:55:51 PM   #9
Rich.7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 396
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Rich.7 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 and Z4M seats weighed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
Referring to the "quick" tilt feature the E46 has to access the back seat, which the Z4M does not as it doesn't have a backseat. I've not seen anybody retrofit that feature, and because of that it's a much better idea to try and find a set of manual adjustment Z4 seats if you're going down this route purely for the convenience. If you were to electronically tilt the seat to get into the back, well it's a very slow process. This also means a greater weight savings.

Personally though, having owned both an E46 M3 and two Z4Ms, while the Z4 is slightly more supportive and "racy" feeling/looking, it's really not that comfortable. It lacks lumbar support/adjustment which is quite apparent on longer drives. Unless you were dead set on the OEM style, I'd spring for aftermarket seats.

Well the other thing is even after tilting all the way forward the opening is not as large. So A. not a family car but I wouldn't really care cause it's a coupe, and B. skinnier people are preferred for fitting through the opening for the rear seating.

I sit fairly upright with my lower back against the seat in all of my seats and feel much more comfortable even on longer drives. The only seats that are adjustable and comfortable that I like for an M car are the Recaro Sportster, which regardless cost significantly more then a used pair of Z4M seats. But it is subjective.
Jump to top Rich.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-10-2019, 05:05:07 PM   #10
S54 Madness
Registered User
 
S54 Madness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 278
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 S54 Madness is on a distinguished road
Location: Connecticut

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 and Z4M seats weighed

does anyone know the weight of E46 M3 Manual seats, leather, no heat?
__________________
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=234906&dateline=15265  73579

2001 M3 karbonius CSL Air Box / Alpha N-tune / American Racing Headers 6-1 Catted / Borla Sport Muffler /RE Race Pullies / Mishimoto Radiator & Oil Cooler / Ground Control Coilover Kit Street-School / StopTech Pads & Rotors / Apex Arc-8 / Dunlop Direzza ZII 265 Square Setup / Weight reduction down to 3,133lbs


My Build Journal
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604716
Jump to top S54 Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:20:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing E46 M3 and Z4M seats weighed in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)