BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Apr-11-2019, 08:49:14 PM   #21
NolliM3

United States

Default Re: My 1995 Avus Blue M3 Coupe Project

Congrats, and I like how you're rocking and rolling already...I'll take those Sparco seats!

1995 Alpine White...X-Brace, Fan delete, Cold Air Intake, Coilover F 450 R 450
Jump to top NolliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Apr-22-2019, 02:17:21 PM   #22
Steve M3

United States

I've gotten a little bit of work done with the car, so wanted to update this thread.

I like the vaders but the condition of the driver's seat was bugging me. Not sure if this is typical or not, but something had to be done about it.

I ordered a leather repair kit and decided to give it a go. I've never tried using this stuff before, so the results aren't perfect, but the seat at least looks presentable now. I filled the cracks, glued the tear and then applied the actual dye to the seat.

There was no saving the shifter.

Fresh ZHP to the rescue. I also took those screws out of the glovebox and painted them black for the time being

Next up, my favorite "mod" to the car to date.

Cleaned off the grime.

Better.

Unfortunately, the emblem is a bit damaged. I don't think it can be repaired or replaced so I may have to just live with it for now unless anyone else knows how to fix it?

Also picked these up, because what is better than fresh mats?

Wheel and mats installed

I didn't think the wheel would make this much of a difference, but the car is actually better to drive now since I can get a proper seating position. Perhaps the other wheel would have been better without the quick disconnect, but either way, I don't see a reason to go back to it when the stock wheel is so nice.

Last but not least, took the wife out to eat and we took the E36. I couldn't resist getting a quick picture since the lighting at the restaurant we went to was pretty cool.

Jump to top Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-22-2019, 03:03:25 PM   #23
Contracheatcode

In the garage:

United States

Love every minute of it. Nice work.
Jump to top Contracheatcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-22-2019, 04:12:56 PM   #24
profesah x

United States

Which leather repair kit did you use? Looks great
Jump to top profesah x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-22-2019, 04:37:05 PM   #25
Texaz3

United States

Great progress.
Old Mon, Apr-22-2019, 08:22:54 PM   #26
Steve M3

United States

Thanks everyone. I used products from Colourlock on the seat and also tried it out on the steering wheel of my E46, was happy with the outcome on both.
Old Tue, Apr-23-2019, 12:53:46 PM   #27
Mollzyie

United States

Nice quick little makeover man 👍🏼 I haven’t touched my interior since I’ve owned my car (nov) but I’m looking forward to doing what you just did . Minus the steering wheel (it came w a Nardi I’ve come to like) and luckily I don’t need a seat repair kit .. looks beautiful man .
Jump to top Mollzyie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-23-2019, 06:24:59 PM   #28
JJCTHE1

In the garage:

United States

well done man. You can never go wrong with an Avus over black 95 with stock vaders and a 3 spoke wheel. I think it looks proper without the wing. Wise choice getting those sparcos out. You can probably sell that stuff for good money, they do not look good in an E36 at all IMO. As another member mentioned, those seats are not the originals from 95 they are 96+ its nice to see they still have a little of their matte sheen to them, when they start to go into "not savable mode" they get like a shiny gloss to them. So they were likely stored properly.
Old Mon, May-06-2019, 02:21:14 PM   #29
Steve M3

United States

Thanks all. I was able to get some more work done over the past week.

First I went to the dealer and sourced some new clips for my trim that was about to fall off on the passenger side. When this car was painted, I guess a lot of the trim clips were reused, even if they were slightly damaged. This lead to a few pieces not being as secure as I would like them to have been.

All better with fresh clips.

Next was some of the nastiness under the hood that needed attention.

Fresh cowl and did a quick wipe down, will actually clean things later but that's something I would like to do when I get ready to actually detail the car.

Also need to address the valve cover. Is it supposed to be grey or black? I am not sure which way I'll go with it, but it could definitely use some attention as it really lets the engine bay down. Oh well, at least the fresh cowl helps freshen things up for now.

Next up was to address the slip ring that came with my ebay wheel. It had a pretty terrible squeaking sound when I turned and had a weird resistance feeling at times. I originally bought it since the slip ring was included, but turned out it was junk. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Ended up sourcing a "rebuilt" slip ring that was supposedly cleaned, greased and tested for proper operation.

Installed it and the steering felt like new, also modified the connector for the horn to work while I was in there. Overall a success and a decent price so I felt like I am still ahead vs buying a brand new slip ring.

Next up I degreased the steering wheel again and redyed it since it had some wear. Didn't come out perfect, plus it has lost most of it's grain at this point, but it looks way better and I'm happy with it for now.

The shifter boot was removed and redyed since I already had everything out and I wanted it to match the wheel since it was slightly faded.

Last thing I decided to address was the thing that has been bugging me the most about the car.

Since the shelf wasn't perfect already, I decided to try the duplicolor black fabric and vinyl spray paint. It looks much better, but the texture is pretty odd now. Since it's not a piece I will ever really touch, I'm ok with it.

It's impressive how much different the car looks now walking up to it with a black parcel shelf vs a faded purple one. Almost like a totally different car

All of these little things really add up to make the car more enjoyable. Nothing I've done has been that expensive, just time consuming. It's also rather satisfying to see the subtle changes that add up to a much greater whole.
Old Mon, May-06-2019, 05:25:48 PM   #30
Texaz3

United States

Good work Steve.
Not for everyone, but I kinda like these faded purple package shelves on blue cars. Strange, I know. I left it as is on my carbon black E46, but maybe I should revisit this.