BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Apr-01-2019, 03:02:10 PM   #1
Steve M3

United States

Default My 1995 Avus Blue M3 Coupe Project

I've mostly been into E46s but I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the E36. The first time I really noticed one was in the movie "The Chase" from my childhood. I remember thinking how cool the car looked in that movie.

More recently, I got to check out a collection of cars where there were a few mint E36s as well as several other BMWs. After that, we bought a car for my wife and the salesman was a huge BMW guy that had a mint E36 M3 sedan. Every since seeing these samples I've had the thought of one in the back of my mind.

Even more recently, my wife had youtube on and a song by Khalid autoplayed where an E36 M3 was doing donuts and driving around for most of the video. I asked my wife what she thought of that car, and she said it was cool. Permission granted, at least in my mind

I came across an Avus Blue 95 M3 listed on CL and before I knew it, I was on a plane to go get it. The previous owner seemed well versed in the BMW world so I had high hopes that the car would be as described.

Waiting to be picked up by the seller, I was a bit nervous as carrying cash and meeting strangers is always a recipe for success

Got picked up in a C6 ZR1 and taken to go see the car. It was pretty much exactly as described. Several things need to be addressed, but what fun would buying a perfect car be anyway? We talked for a bit, went over the car, shook hands and I was on my way back home. Ended up getting back home around 4 am and was completely worn out.

Once I got some sleep, I decided to poke around the car a bit to see exactly what I got.

Looks good overall, a bit low, but I'll address that shortly.

The car came with a set of new coilovers installed as well as camber arms, fresh bushings, new radiator and a bunch of other recent upgrades.

It also had a set of Sparco seats and a wheel installed. Luckily, it also came with a set of stock seats that I managed to fit in the car with me on the way home. It was close to being converted to a track car, but luckily the owner had most of the stock parts still. I'm planning to make it into a driver, not a track car so I'll mostly just clean it up the best that I can and enjoy it.

First course of action was to see what was hiding under the seat. Scored a pair of child's paw control glasses and 35 cents, not bad!

Vacuumed out

Steam cleaned the carpet

Other side

Stock vaders resinstalled. The driver side needs some reconditioning, but I plan to check around to find the best course of action on bringing it back up to par. The passenger side looks pretty good as-is, but might have to get them both redone so they match.

Took it out for a Sunday night cruise after my work.

Jump to top Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Apr-01-2019, 03:12:19 PM   #2
W///

In the garage:

Thailand

Default Re: My 1995 Avus Blue M3 Coupe Project

Congrats! The car looks very nice.
I'm finally starting to like a spoiler-less E36 M3 (mine is one) haha.

How many miles?

Jump to top W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-01-2019, 03:16:30 PM   #3
Steve M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Congrats! The car looks very nice.
I'm finally starting to like a spoiler-less E36 M3 (mine is one) haha.

How many miles?
143k miles on it, which seemed like a lot until I realized it only has 7k more than my E46 wagon, haha.

The stock spoiler came with the car, but the holes have been filled so I'll probably leave it off. It also came with the stock steering wheel but not sure that I'm going to run it as the wheel is huge and rates pretty low in the looks department.
Old Mon, Apr-01-2019, 03:24:32 PM   #4
TheJDub-E36

United States

Sweet! Unfortunately the E36 has turned into a budget drift car now and none of them really get the love they deserve so congrats to you
Jump to top TheJDub-E36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-01-2019, 03:44:32 PM   #5
Texaz3

United States

Hey there Steve - welcome to E36 ownership. You'll love it.
Picking a car and driving it home is the best. Done it so many times and its always a blast.
The car looks great! Love thee look of these DS1's! Avus is a beauty.
Old Mon, Apr-01-2019, 04:38:03 PM   #6
westopher

Canada

Looks great. You got some better Vaders than originally came with the car, as they are the updated 96+ seats, which is a bonus. LOL at that glovebox fix though.
Avus is a fantastic colour. Congrats.
Do you still have the aerokit 997? Or am I thinking of someone else on here?

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 109k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 175k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-01-2019, 04:53:15 PM   #7
pbonsalb

Did you not like the Sparco seats? I was thinking of buying a set to replace my vaders. Maybe the R505.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-01-2019, 05:25:46 PM   #8
Steve M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJDub-E36 View Post
Sweet! Unfortunately the E36 has turned into a budget drift car now and none of them really get the love they deserve so congrats to you
Very true. I wanted to grab one while I still could find an acceptable example that wasn't through the roof pricing wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
Hey there Steve - welcome to E36 ownership. You'll love it.
Picking a car and driving it home is the best. Done it so many times and its always a blast.
The car looks great! Love thee look of these DS1's! Avus is a beauty.
Thanks! I've always wanted to fly to get a car, now I can either check it off my list or start a tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Looks great. You got some better Vaders than originally came with the car, as they are the updated 96+ seats, which is a bonus. LOL at that glovebox fix though.
Avus is a fantastic colour. Congrats.
Do you still have the aerokit 997? Or am I thinking of someone else on here?
That is good to hear! I love the way the oem seats look, but they aren't that comfortable to be honest. Maybe I just need to get them setup better or maybe everything I read online about them is painfully true.

The glovebox bugs me quite a bit too, not sure how I'm going to attack that one just yet, but I need to do something soon as it is slowly eating away at me.

Yes, the aerokit car was mine, but I sold it in March. I really hated to see it go, but at the same time I never really used it. I had it for four years and only averaged about 2k miles a year on it. With the Porsche market the way it is, I decided it was as good of time as any to sell it. It didn't last long after I listed it. Will I regret selling it? Only time will tell.

The last time I saw it. Gone but not forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Did you not like the Sparco seats? I was thinking of buying a set to replace my vaders. Maybe the R505.
I didn't hate them, but the seating position was a little low on them. I could have fixed this, but I really wanted the stock seats back in this car from the get go to be 100% honest. I was also surprised by how wide the seats were, which could be a good or bad thing depending on the goals of the end user.
Old Mon, Apr-01-2019, 05:42:20 PM   #9
Bimma360

United States

Congrats! Car looks great man. What I found that worked for me for Vader comfort was tilting the seat just a hair back. Made the lower back pain I was exhibiting before go away. Seats are just fine now for me, and I daily my M3 (about 20k miles per year).

Jump to top Bimma360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-01-2019, 07:17:01 PM   #10
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Nice pickup, love me some Avus.

http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
Jump to top Nate047 is offline   Reply With Quote