BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Mar-26-2019, 03:50:58 PM   #11
chris1866

United States

Default Re: New Ohlins "Dedicated" (RT) Coilovers Feedback and comparison (JRZ, MCS, TCK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAvoN7 View Post
Were the MCS singles their standard offering? Most people aren't aware that the singles come standard with linear pistons (unless requested to upgrade to the digressive piston) versus all the doubles and up coming standard with a digressive piston. No point in really comparing the characteristics of the singles over large bumps when compared to a MCS double/triple or a JRZ RS Pro.
The MCS singles on IP Driver's car are 4 years old. Whatever the standard valving and offering was at that time. He runs 800/950lb springs on them.

Funny you should mention an MCS Double. My brother has the double NON-REMOTES on his E46 M3 race car. Off-the-shelf valving with 800/950 rates and the bouncing was TERRIBLE over the curbs.
It's so bad you can even see it in the video:
Check out the 45 second mark....when he goes over the curb in T5 you can see it bouncing after the fact (48 seconds camera oscillation).
He has since worked with MCS and gotten them revalved to correct this, and they are now much better (but still not as good as my JRZs).
But out-of-the-box, the MCS singles handled the curbing better than the doubles in this video. Neither were as good as the Ohlins "dedicated" or the JRZ in this particular aspect.

Just to reiterate, everything mentioned in my post was the non-remote offerings from these companies (JRZ RS doubles and MCS 2WNRs and MCS 1WNRs).
Obviously you cannot compare these to remotes from MCS or JRZ.
Jump to top chris1866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-04-2019, 11:50:55 PM   #12
Sirenty

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: New Ohlins "Dedicated" (RT) Coilovers Feedback and comparison (JRZ, MCS, TCK)

Iíve now taken this setup to two tracks. I did one session on Jefferson at Summit Point and it was bad. I havenít been on that track since my very first DE 3 years ago, and now I know why. It was extremely bumpy. Bumpy enough to bounce my rear wheels off the ground and spin the engine to redline with these new stiffer springs. I wasnít the only one with an issue, so I couldnít get a good read on the new setup.

I did Summit Point last weekend and this setup kicked ass. The car was planted with great feel and communication. Another person that rode with me commented on how much more bite my car had than his GT4. I was on NT01s that are almost slick and it gave me such confidence that I improved min corner speeds all over the place.

On the street, it is stiff, but Iím still running at 8 clicks. I havenít tried softening it yet because it doesnít really bother me.
Jump to top Sirenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-05-2019, 02:55:28 PM   #13
AttaQ

United States

Great feedback... when it comes time for my R&T kit to need a rebuild some day I will for sure have it upgraded to this spec!
Jump to top AttaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-05-2019, 08:57:45 PM   #14
benzthis

United States

When are these new ohlins coming out?
Old Fri, Apr-05-2019, 09:46:00 PM   #15
Nigt3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzthis View Post
When are these new ohlins coming out?
Would like to know this also!!
Jump to top Nigt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-05-2019, 09:58:24 PM   #16
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

For someone who already has a GC/ TCK sort of setup, is there a way to just get the dampers so we can mount them with existing 2.5" springs, camber plates, etc.?

Last edited by Drewster; Fri, Apr-05-2019 at 10:17:28 PM.
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-16-2019, 01:41:36 AM   #17
OneFastSicilian
Frankie

In the garage:

Italy

Any update on these? I want to order a set soon and I don’t want to but the R/T then these come out lo

Previous:
  • 01 - AW/IR - Sold
  • 03.5 - IR/Impulse - Sold
  • 02 - TiAg/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - IB/Blk ZCP - Sold
  • 02 - LSB/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - SG/Blk - Current!
Check out my Journal!

*Instagram*
@_Frank_Stone_
Jump to top OneFastSicilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-16-2019, 07:39:48 PM   #18
Radekxpl

In the garage:

Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFastSicilian View Post
Any update on these? I want to order a set soon and I donít want to but the R/T then these come out lo
I would suggest to hold your order for at least 2 more weeks if you are interested in these. Reason being is I'm actually working directly with 3DM on this Ohlins product, which will bring new options of obtaining these to the market in a way and value it was never offered before from Ohlins. I currently cannot disclose any details as everything is still in the works, but we should be able to share more details in about 2 week time frame. I will update this as soon everything is ready. Probably will be in a new thread though.
Mod list: TTFS Custom Tune, Headers Sec 1 AR20, M-Track Mode programmed, IAT relocated, Upadted cam bolts with S62 pressure springs and diaphragm, sub-frame reinforced Vince bar & plates, 996 Brembo brakes PFC 08 pads, CDV delete, F10 M5 shift knob, CSL diffuser, D/A pulleys, AVANT-II, Dinan CAI, SDW RTAB, Ohlins Custom GC Weight Jacks, GC Street Camber Plates, Hotchkiss sway CSL rear bar, Beisan Oil Pump Disk, ECS camber arms, N15 SPAL 2082 fan, Micro-blue rod bearings, ZHP .712 Yellow tag rack.
Jump to top Radekxpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-16-2019, 08:49:30 PM   #19
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Any update on my question? Is it possible to order components, or does is it full kit or bust?
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-16-2019, 09:29:32 PM   #20
benzthis

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Any update on my question? Is it possible to order components, or does is it full kit or bust?
This^I want to be able to order components also.