BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Mar-21-2019, 03:05:36 PM   #1
chris1866

United States

Default New Ohlins "Dedicated" (RT) Coilovers Feedback and comparison (JRZ, MCS, TCK)

I have had the opportunity to try the soon-to-be-released Ohlins "dedicated" coilover setup and would like to share some feedback with the E46 community.

First, some background:
I am a BMWCCA IP racer (E36 M3), and formed an "endurance" team (AER/WRL) with 2 other IP Racers/friends. We bought an E46 M3 street/track car and set about turning it into an endurance race car.
As a reference point, I run JRZ RS doubles, IP driver #2 runs MCS singles, and IP driver #3 runs TCKline doubles. (IP rules dictate that we cannot run remote-reservoir dampers).

The E46 M3 we purchased for the build came with the Ohlins R&T kit. We knew that Ohlins dampers were good, but also that this kit was likely to be too "soft" for a race application, given its dual-purpose nature. Lacking the budget to upgrade to something like an MCS 2-way remote, we contacted Ohlins to see how much stiffer we could go on the springs to make them as good as possible for our purposes.
They informed us that they were in the process of developing a new coilover kit (which will be called "Dedicated") based on the R&T kit. The kit will be available for purchase as a separate kit, but you will also be able to send in an existing R&T kit for conversion.
At the time, they hadn't completed the whole kit (camber plates, etc) but they had done extensive testing on-track and also on their shaker rig to come up with the valving and spring rates.
So we sent in our R&T kit to be converted (just the valving and springs since the camber plates were not ready yet). The spring rates are 120N/mm (685in/lbs) Front, and 160N/mm (914in/lbs) Rear.

We did not have the opportunity to drive the car on track with the stock R&T setup, so can't provide "before and after" feedback, but we can share impressions of the kit and comparisons to the JRZ, MCS, TCK on our e36s.
The E46 in its current guise is pretty similar to our cars....roughly 3,000lbs with aero.

We recently completed a shakedown at Road Atlanta.
The kit felt very good overall. It was composed over the large curbs (jumping the T3 curbing and 4 wheels on the T5 curbing). You could feel minor imperfections in the track surface, but they were not harsh. Turn-in was good, and transitions were well-managed.

My JRZs (800/950rates) are extremely harsh/bouncy over small imperfections in the track surface. The trade-off is that they are excellent on turn-in and also very composed over large compressions. The landing after jumping the T3 curbing (2 wheels in the air) is flat with no drama. You can feel everything that the suspension is doing. I'm used to it, but others who have driven my car complain about the bounciness/harshness.

The MCS (800/950rates) (I have driven singles and doubles) are butter smooth. You don't feel any of the imperfections in the track surface at all. However, they do not handle the large curbs as well as the JRZs, with some bounciness on the landing at T3 and T5 as well. They are not as composed in those spots. Turn-in is good, and transitions are excellent. I personally don't love the MCS' smoothness because I have difficulty feeling the car take a set, which makes it difficult for me to sense the grip level at a given point. This is not a deficiency in the damper per se, just a personal preference thing.

The best way I can describe the Ohlins is right in between the MCS and JRZ. You can feel everything that's happening (imperfections in the pavement, car taking a set, car transitioning, etc), but it's not as harsh as my JRZs.
It handles the large bumps (curbing) very well and is composed on the landing. They feel like "race dampers" every bit as much as the MCS and JRZ.....very at-home on the track with no major deficiencies that we could sense during our shakedown.
They are definitely more race-oriented than the TCKs, which are softer by nature (500/600 rates on Driver 3s IP car). The TCK are compliant over the curbs, but definitely have a different feel compared to the "race" dampers from JRZ, MCS, and Ohlins, and are not in the same category.

We did not have the opportunity to drive the Ohlins on the street (E46 is not street legal), so cannot comment on the level of comfort in that arena, but due to the stiff spring rates, I doubt they would be very comfortable for daily use (driving to/from the track would be fine).

I am not sure of the final price-point for this "Dedicated" kit, nor the cost of the complete "conversion" because all of the parts weren't available at the time for us, but I believe all of that info will be unveiled soon.
I believe it will be similar to the R&T kit.....likely cheaper than MCS and JRZ but don't quote me on that.

Overall, we think this kit is a great option for anything from occasional HPDE use to full race applications. If we were starting from zero and needed suspension for the car at a budget that wouldn't allow for higher-end remote reservoir setups, this is likely the kit we would buy.

Hopefully this feedback is helpful to others in the E46 community!
Jump to top chris1866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Mar-21-2019, 03:53:09 PM   #2
LemansM
///M Enthusiast

United States

Default Re: New Ohlins "Dedicated" (RT) Coilovers Feedback and comparison (JRZ, MCS, TCK)

Thank you for your feedback! Great to know we can send ours in for the "dedicated" track treatment.
Old Thu, Mar-21-2019, 06:14:28 PM   #3
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: New Ohlins "Dedicated" (RT) Coilovers Feedback and comparison (JRZ, MCS, TCK)

FWIW, for anyone considering send them in for a conversion-- any Ohlins rebuilder can (supported by Ohlins) rebuild/revalve them for whatever spring rates you desire. Once I settle in on what spring rates I want, I'm going to send them off to have them rebuilt/revalved for my spring rates and my corner weights. Cheaper than going to Ohlins directly, as well (~half the price)!

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-21-2019, 06:36:09 PM   #4
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1866 View Post
First, some background:
I am a BMWCCA IP racer (E36 M3), and formed an "endurance" team (AER/WRL) with 2 other IP Racers/friends. We bought an E46 M3 street/track car and set about turning it into an endurance race car.
Interested in this tidbit of info. Did you create an official team and set up an LLC? Any sponsorship yet?

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-21-2019, 06:42:29 PM   #5
chris1866

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Interested in this tidbit of info. Did you create an official team and set up an LLC? Any sponsorship yet?
No, much more low-key than that. We just bought the car and are splitting the costs on everything. We only plan to run it a couple times a year.
We have been wanting to do AER for a while now, but didn't want to use one of our IP cars in case something happened. Easier to keep it separate.
Some of those guys are super serious and have crazy budgets. This is just for fun for us.
Jump to top chris1866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-22-2019, 05:37:20 PM   #6
AttaQ

United States

Really interesting information and feedback, thank you!!
Jump to top AttaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-22-2019, 07:16:45 PM   #7
OneFastSicilian
Frankie

In the garage:

Italy

excited for this.. I was actually going to contact ohlins about doing this right out of the box before they even sent me a set.. This is the coilover I want to go with. just waiting for the funds lol

Previous:
  • 01 - AW/IR - Sold
  • 03.5 - IR/Impulse - Sold
  • 02 - TiAg/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - IB/Blk ZCP - Sold
  • 02 - LSB/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - SG/Blk - Current!
Check out my Journal!

*Instagram*
@_Frank_Stone_
Jump to top OneFastSicilian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-22-2019, 08:15:36 PM   #8
DanAvoN7

United States

Were the MCS singles their standard offering? Most people aren't aware that the singles come standard with linear pistons (unless requested to upgrade to the digressive piston) versus all the doubles and up coming standard with a digressive piston. No point in really comparing the characteristics of the singles over large bumps when compared to a MCS double/triple or a JRZ RS Pro.
Apex ARC-8 w/ Hankook Z214, Apex ARC-8 w/ BFGoodrich R1, MCS 3-way Coilovers, GC Race Camber Plates, PFC BBK, Turner Camber Arms, Turner Sway Bars, Turner Subframe bushings, Turner Solid Diff Bushings, Turner Solid RTAB, Turner Solid Control Arm bushings, Treehouse Racing FCAB, Reinforced Subframe, OS Giken LSD, Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts, SGT Headers, SGT Section 1, AFE Stage 2 Intake, EPIC Tune, Dinan Exhaust, Bimmerworld Airdam/Splitter/Dive Planes, Bimmerworld V2 Wing, TC Design Roll Cage, Racetech RT4119, Scroth Profi 2 Harness

NORCAL Rod Bearing/Vanos/Valve Adjustment/Inspections Member Feedback
Jump to top DanAvoN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-22-2019, 11:44:37 PM   #9
Sirenty

In the garage:

United States

I also had my coilovers upgraded to this kit (though I went 880 rear). I finally got the car back today and Iíll be taking it on track tomorrow. From what I was told, the final kit will include Vorshlag camber plates (already have) and upgraded dampers and parts to handle the higher springs rates.

I donít have experience with the other kits, but compared to the ďstockĒ R&T, I think Iím going to like this more on track. It seems better suited to the weight of the car, and I feel more connected to the road, which is good and bad.

I should have more after tomorrow. Iíll be running Pilot sport 4S tires instead of track tires though.
Jump to top Sirenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-23-2019, 01:24:44 AM   #10
shockpot

United States

Chris... this is great feedback! Thanks so much for posting that.

I just wanted to take a second to let everyone know that we helped develop the e46 M3 Dedicated track kit and there are many other "Dedicated Track" kits in development as we speak such as E36 M3, E9X M3 and Non M, F30 etc.

As OBIOBAN said, if you want to upgrade your current Road and Track kits, we can revalve them and set you up with all the springs and mounts, no need to buy a new kit.

If you have any questions please feel free to Contact Us. In addition, if you want to be notified when the kits are fully released let us know and we can send you an email.

Here is a fun glimpse at some of the testing on the shaker rig that Chris mentioned in his post.

Cheers,

Barry
3dmmotorsport.com/
Jump to top shockpot is offline   Reply With Quote