BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Mar-20-2019, 06:36:06 PM   #1
ATB88

United States

Default Avin Avant 4 Thread

Hi all,

I've been getting lots of requests for my thoughts on the Avant 4 (seems like I'm the only one on the forum that's taken the plunge so far). Should also have somewhere to discuss it outside the Avant 3 thread. Been pretty busy but I'll start by saying what I can about it. Will try and get pics/videos up at a later time.

My overall impression of the unit is good. Overall it works well and looks nice, I found a nice BMW themed launcher and it looks like it could have been a modern OE nav unit. Apps don't freeze or crash so what else can I say about that.

Carplay works fine. Has glitched out once forcing me to unplug and re-plug in my iphone. Also got the BT OBD2 unit so I can use Torque, which works great and I like a lot. Installation was easy.

There are a few things I've found annoying about the unit:

-The choices of the functions they mapped and labeled on the physical buttons are pretty silly. If you go to Avin's website and actually look at the unit, you'll see that there are *four* buttons dedicated to radio function: RADIO (opens the radio app), AMS, APS (both of those are different types of search functions for stations), and BAND (switches freq band). Who the hell buys a $500 touch screen head unit and wants FOUR physical buttons dedicated to controlling the radio? I would have really welcomed a button that opens the TPMS app, or a button that opens the bluetooth music app (which is distinct from the normal MUSIC app that the MUSIC button launches, which can only play music from the unit's internal storage, which is again silly because most people would be using the bluetooth app for music). There's also a button inexplicably labeled AVIN which launches the backup camera. What's more is that you can't re-map what these buttons do in any useful way. The button choices for the Avant 3 were better.

-The TPMS receiver they shipped me doesn't work. I spoke with Avin support about it and they found that there was an error made at the factory that made the receivers and they're getting a new batch from them and will ship it straight to me when they get it (in the next few days).

-Half the time I power the unit on, it automatically opens the radio app (regardless of whether the radio was on or off last time I shut the unit off) which is super annoying. I have tried every option in the settings to try and get it to stop doing this, it won't, it's a bug. Annoying.

-It has no SIM card port, so you need to use your phone's mobile hotspot to connect it to the internet. This is annoying because it means I have to go into my phone's settings and turn on the mobile hotspot function every time I get in my car, and then it doesn't ever find my phone's hotspot and automatically connect to it unless i go into the unit and open the list of available wifi networks (then it magically finds it and automatically connects). So there's no seamless "get in and go" functionality which kinda sucks.

I didn't get any cameras or anything like that so I can't speak to that functionality.

Feel free to ask me anything else about the unit.
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Mar-20-2019, 07:44:54 PM   #2
///M Dream
Real Madrid C.F.

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Avin Avant 4 Thread

Awesome! Thank you for the honest review of it. Most important thing to me was that the unit doesn't constantly crash or is buggy to the point where I wouldn't want to use it. This will be my first unit which has CarPlay, I'm assuming that allows me to play music and see my messages, look at maps, etc? Did you go for the ibus adapter?

Any pics of the unit in your car?

Definitely going to order for my car (need bluetooth, and sick of seeing dead pixels).

Current: 2006 Interlagos Blue ZCP ///M3
Past: F80 M3. E46 330i ZHP. B8 S4. E92 M3. E46 M3.
Jump to top ///M Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-20-2019, 08:45:03 PM   #3
James31

can you post a picture of it installed?
Jump to top James31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-22-2019, 02:16:57 AM   #4
randman

In the garage:

United States

I just received mine. Here's some pictures of what's in the box. I also ordered the 6m cable. Hopefully I can get this installed over the weekend. If so I'll update with more photos.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnyQ2vHnNBgVhimodyozkLYIeq65
Jump to top randman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-22-2019, 02:48:24 AM   #5
///M Dream
Real Madrid C.F.

In the garage:

United States

Please do ^

Current: 2006 Interlagos Blue ZCP ///M3
Past: F80 M3. E46 330i ZHP. B8 S4. E92 M3. E46 M3.
Jump to top ///M Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-23-2019, 02:43:37 PM   #6
bduff51

United States

Does anyonehave any comparisons of the Avant 4 and the newer Avin 9inch Oreo display model that’s on the Avin website? The 9 inch looks pretty big but has some nice features. Just wondering if it looks as good as the 4. Can’t find any reviews comparing the two.
Jump to top bduff51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-24-2019, 05:12:36 AM   #7
RedM3/4

United States

I'd like Avant 3 owners to compare the limitations you list. Are these ongoing problems that never got resolved, or worked in V3 and now don't? I'd hope for a maturation of the platform.

Thanks!

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-24-2019, 07:50:43 PM   #8
xF4m3

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by James31 View Post
can you post a picture of it installed?
I have some of them I made a post about my experience sofar in the avant 3 thread because there were also some questions open.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...&postcount=338

So to break it down, I really like this unit, worth the money in my opinion for everyone who wants it to look oem, I mean look at those pictures but donw mind the sc card cover missing, it also illuminates the sd card icons(see in the dark picture), was planning on putting some musik on there but forgot So happy about the looks and fitment and so forth.

Installing was püretty easy tbh, I had the factory navigation unit and the hardest part was the bcam signal. Getting that s*** down to the trunk su**ed. Whoever has the 30 bucks or so to space for the wireless transmitters, do it. I wanted to save some money but invested with time instead. Bcam needs some filing in the back to make it for and there is for some reason a hole that can go up to the top, sealed tthat with some clear silicon. Dont want water everywhere.

Getting the Quadlock cable from the back to the front was pretty easy along the driver side, there is a huge foamy grommit that you can route the big end of the extenstion cable through. bind the bcam cable with yellow chinch and a lose red wire to the quadlock cable aswell as the gps antenna cable so you dont have to use the included one. take out all the covers along the driver side, take out the plastig thing above the pedals and then you are pretty much there. pull out the old navi (maybe some special tools needed for taking the navi with the screen out, it has anti theft protection, atleast the 16:9). Removed basically all modules from the trunk. If you went without wireless transmitters you can route the cable down to the trunk, then just before the back seats in the trunk ceiling you can route the cable through to the driver side and along with the quadlock cable.

Then tap into the blue/yellow(+12V when in reverse) cable from the trunk lights aswell as brown one (gnd/-).

Finally when you want to use ibus you need to download the ibus app from https://www.ibus-app.de/, your avin unit also needs internet to activate, it doesnt come preloaded but this worked flawless for me.

plug everything into the unit itself in the front and you are pretty much good to go.

Not a full guide but probably helps some people

Please dont mind any grammar or spelling mistakes, i am from germany. Feel free to make my Comment into a guide with proper how to remove xyz aswell as the grammar fixed if you like :3

The only thing that bugs me atm is that you cant remapp the buttons or atleast i dont know a way. Maybe we can root this device somehow and do it that way, that would be awesome. If someone knows a way, hit me up

Images: https://imgur.com/a/SDhKybG because i cant get them uploaded for some reason. Page after upload just goes blank.

Last edited by xF4m3; Sun, Mar-24-2019 at 08:05:06 PM. Reason: Forgot the Images...cant add them for some reason
Jump to top xF4m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-25-2019, 04:01:24 AM   #9
randman

In the garage:

United States

I finally got it installed today. Updated pictures of the install are added in the link below.

I haven't had much time to play around yet, but some initial observations:

1. It does not appear that the USB ports are charging my phone like the Avant 2 did. I will try some different cables later.

2. The keyboard seems to randomly pick different language letters. I don't know if there is some sort of setting to adjust. It's acting like when you hold down the key on the phone keyboard and select one of the character options.

3. When I initially hooked it up (not fully installed in the dash) I was getting FM radio reception. After install I don't have any. At this point I really didn't want to tear things apart again to investigate, especially since I never use the radio. Although when it does start up, it seems to default to radio mode.

4. It is fast (especially coming from the Avant 2). The wifi reconnected within about 5 seconds after I made a brief stop. The Avant 2 seemed to take 20-30 seconds.

5. Background audio apps seem stable with Waze running in the foreground. On the Avant 2 they would crash all the time.

6. There are zero installation instructions with it, so you have to sort of guess what goes where. There is an installation guide for the Avant 2 (on the support site) and I found a couple of others for the Dynavin and Dice equipment installations which were helpful.

7. Setup is pretty quick once everything is powered up. About 90% of the day was spent removing/reinstalling trim, seats, etc. and routing cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post
I just received mine. Here's some pictures of what's in the box. I also ordered the 6m cable. Hopefully I can get this installed over the weekend. If so I'll update with more photos.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnyQ2vHnNBgVhimodyozkLYIeq65
Jump to top randman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-26-2019, 12:21:51 AM   #10
ATB88

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by xF4m3 View Post
The only thing that bugs me atm is that you cant remapp the buttons or atleast i dont know a way. Maybe we can root this device somehow and do it that way, that would be awesome. If someone knows a way, hit me up
I spoke directly with Avin about this and they said that there is not a way to re-map the buttons (at least not in any useful way -- you can set any button you want to be a play button or a next track button or simple functions like that, but you can't make it open a specific app or anything useful like that).

In response to the silly choices of the functions they chose to map to the physical buttons, they said they agree that it's dumb but they were limited by the "PX5" platform they were working with and couldn't do anything about it.

Yeah if there was some way to get around this I'd be thrilled.
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote