BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Jan-10-2018, 02:25:22 PM   #1
Haywood

In the garage:

United States

Default Driver's side door

My driver's side door is getting harder to close. I have to use more force more and more. What is the cause of this and how do I fix it? Thanks for the help in advance.
Jump to top Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jan-10-2018, 02:40:26 PM   #2
wgknestrick

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Driver's side door

Mine are the same. This would probably be a good place to start if it's hard to close before it contacts the seals. Otherwise, some striker adjustment is required.

Jump to top wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-10-2018, 03:33:03 PM   #3
crqflier

What exactly do you mean? Door doesn't swing freely or, at the point of contact to fully closed is difficult? If the latter and you see no scraping (bad alignment), with the door open, pull on the outside handle while watching the latch mechanism. My guess is the latch is not retracting probably. Should move fully without any hesitation. If that's it you either need to disassemble and lube, or buy a new mechanism.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Jump to top crqflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-10-2018, 06:39:16 PM   #4
cblock

In the garage:

United States

You might try adjusting your door striker, I had to do this on my coupe a long time ago and it shut without problem after.

Jump to top cblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-10-2018, 08:24:49 PM   #5
wgknestrick

In the garage:

United States

So while we are on the subject:

Does anyone own a E36 that has nice opening/shutting doors? Is it even possible? Obviously the strikers can cause issues upon closure and unlock if not adjusted properly.

I'm just trying to gauge if my coupe's door hardware is just shot after 20years or if BMW just had shitty door mechanisms. The parts aren't that expensive to rebuild most of the mechanicals.

There is this bushing kit for the hinges

And the door brake:

Jump to top wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-10-2018, 08:45:50 PM   #6
spaghettiM3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post

Does anyone own a E36 that has nice opening/shutting doors? Is it even possible?
My current M3 doesn't have any issues and I didn't notice anything with my prior e36.
Old Wed, Jan-10-2018, 09:09:47 PM   #7
crqflier

My driver side is perfect. My pax side has a sticky latch mechanism. I originally thought it was bad alignment of the strike plate. But that didn't make sense because nothing had ever been adjusted on it or the door. That's when I found the sticky latch. I sprayed the inside with some marine lube. But the real solution is to disassemble and rebuild/grease or replace.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Jump to top crqflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-11-2018, 12:34:39 PM   #8
Double E
Double E

United States

I have a similar issue as Haywood.
The (hardtop coupe) door swings open fine but it must be shut a lot harder for it to completely catch closed. It partially catches closed if I do not shut it hard enough.

My door seals are in very good condition and I do not see any scraping.
Should I lube the striker area or is more likely that the door is sitting too low and the hinge is in need of rebuilding?
Jump to top Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-11-2018, 02:23:30 PM   #9
Eric M3
shogun

In the garage:

Japan

No problem here too with the doors.
If the doors close harder, often the case is a shrinking door gasket, that one can repair DIY, shown here on an E34 based on my idea https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...pping-Seal-Fix
Old Thu, Jan-11-2018, 03:03:33 PM   #10
Jrrrrrrr
Unregistered User

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
I have a similar issue as Haywood.
The (hardtop coupe) door swings open fine but it must be shut a lot harder for it to completely catch closed. It partially catches closed if I do not shut it hard enough.

My door seals are in very good condition and I do not see any scraping.
Should I lube the striker area or is more likely that the door is sitting too low and the hinge is in need of rebuilding?
Ensuring that the door surround seal is clean along where it makes contact with the door glass makes a big difference in this problem. I have also had a lot of improvement by keeping the door surround treated with Gummi Pflege. You can rule out a sticky door lock or striker if you notice that the door shuts confidently and with much less force when the window is rolled down.

The root of the problem is definitely door alignment - probably caused by wear. Adjusting the striker completely solves the problem, but in my case, results in a wonky panel alignment with the door sticking out past flush with the B-pillar-rear quarter sheet metal. That means the next step is to also adjust or repair the hinges along the A-pillar, or perhaps even add some shims, but I just haven't gotten to that because the steps I mentioned in the first paragraph are good enough to live with.
Jump to top Jrrrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote