BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 04:26:16 AM   #41
DOCTOR 3VIL

Armenia

Default Re: Finished my Recaro Sportster CS seat install with custom floor mounts

Those seats are just amazing!!
I'll definitely get a pair for my E92.

02 E46 M3 Jet Black
11 E92 M3 Le Mans Blue
Jump to top DOCTOR 3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 01:29:27 PM   #42
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Finished my Recaro Sportster CS seat install with custom floor mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeedgo1 View Post
I was at Griffin Motorwerke (Recaro distributor) last Tuesday comparing seats. Since it was brought up, I figured I would provide some measurements for those looking to gain more headroom by installing these seats.

Stock seat is 4-3/4" to 5" from bottom of seat rail to bottom of seat cushion near seat back at lowest position.

Macht Schnell floor mount thickness: 7/8"
Bimmerworld floor mount thickness: 3/4"
Recaro slider thickness: 7/8"
Macht Schnell 3 point seat belt bracket thickness: 3/8"

using Macht Schnell floor mounts: 2-1/8"
using Bimmerworld floor mounts: 2"

Recaro Sportster CS height from seat base/mount to bottom of seat cushion near seat back: 1-1/2"

So with Bimmerworld's setup with sliders, you are looking at 3-1/2" from bottom of floor mounts to bottom of seat cushion near seat back, 2-5/8" if you ran no slider. For some strange reason, I seemed to sit 1/2" lower in the Cross Sportster vs the CS (not sure if a difference in seat foam). Griffin Motorwerke is checking on this with Recaro.
Good info.

Before installing mine I tried to measure some of this, to estimate how tall I wanted to make my brackets and realized that seating cushion on the CS seats is shaped much different than the stock seats. In other words, where your "bum" sits is much lower then where your legs are. In the front, where the legs rest, it is almost the same height as the stock seats, so that can really throw some of these measurements off.

In reality, all things being equal mounting wise (if that is even possible) you do tend to sit about 1.5"- 2" lower with the Recaro CS seat. That is why I did not like just using a low profile mount and sliders, as I did not have my stock seat in the lowest position to begin with.

Something else I discovered through this discussion, is that some folks must sit more upright (closer to the steering wheel) than others. I was taught early on in my driver ed, to sit as far back as possible, as long as I could comfortably steer and that my leg was fully stretched when depressing the clutch. Over the years, and with the introduction of telescoping steering wheels, I have started to "lay down" more (f1 driver aspiration haha), meaning my legs are not fully stretched (so seat is slightly more forward) but I compensate by leaning back a bit more, thus my upper body is maybe a few degrees more from upright and using less vertical space. Not sure how much difference that makes in head room, but when I read that someone else, who is 5'8" tall, is having issues with head room, then I wonder what's going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR 3VIL View Post
Those seats are just amazing!!
I'll definitely get a pair for my E92.
Something else I have never heard being brought up is the "seat of the pants" feel in these seats. Driving in a Recaro Sportser CS seems to give a lot more feedback through the seat of what the car is doing. The car feels like it is on a stiffer suspension. I am curious to see how this seat will affect my driving at the track, which I will find out this Sunday

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Sportline CS8's, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 01:52:22 PM   #43
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

I'm surprised none of your class room sessions talked about proper seat positioning? Reclined is... wrong. You should not be able to lock your knee when pressing the pedals fully to the floor (seat forward/backward positioning) and your shoulders should be able to be pressed firmly into your seat back with your wrist drooped over the top of the steering wheel (back rest angle).

This will absolutely feel awkward/wrong/bad at first, because it's so different, but it's better for car control and proper functioning of the safety systems. Once you've adapted, going back to your old, reclined position, you'll feel like you have no control over the car.

There is a definite right and wrong to seat position-- not "to taste".

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Thu, Jan-12-2017 at 02:40:52 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 01:56:13 PM   #44
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_seating

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 04:46:39 PM   #45
Dave B
M3 collector

Italy

I was always taught that you should be able to press the clutch all the way to the floor with your RIGHT foot and still not have the knee locked.
Jump to top Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 05:18:56 PM   #46
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I'm surprised none of your class room sessions talked about proper seat positioning? Reclined is... wrong. You should not be able to lock your knee when pressing the pedals fully to the floor (seat forward/backward positioning) and your shoulders should be able to be pressed firmly into your seat back with your wrist drooped over the top of the steering wheel (back rest angle).

This will absolutely feel awkward/wrong/bad at first, because it's so different, but it's better for car control and proper functioning of the safety systems. Once you've adapted, going back to your old, reclined position, you'll feel like you have no control over the car.

There is a definite right and wrong to seat position-- not "to taste".

I think you misunderstood a bit. I wrote:

Over the years, and with the introduction of telescoping steering wheels, I have started to "lay down" more (f1 driver aspiration haha), meaning my legs are not fully stretched (so seat is slightly more forward) but I compensate by leaning back a bit more, thus my upper body is maybe a few degrees more from upright and using less vertical space.

My knees are not locked. They used to be a lot closer to being locked, but I did not like that and have moved my lower body fwd a bit, thus I am leaning back in that sense, but it ain't much.
I was referring to the member that was suggestion he does not have enough head room and is 5'8" tall. Clearly he is sitting a lot closer to the wheel and/or more upright.
Don't forget, you can telescope the wheel back, which allows for some give and take on all of this.

Look at my sig pic. I am strapped in tight with a harness, my right hand happens to be at 12 o'clock and my arm is not stretched out fully, meaning, I could rest my balm on it. I probably could stand to move my back rest fwd another inch or so, but I am not far off.

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Sportline CS8's, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk

Last edited by nasieg; Thu, Jan-12-2017 at 05:28:37 PM. Reason: added comment
Old Sat, Jan-14-2017, 05:43:01 PM   #47
TTFS
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Looks great post the anodized photos!
Jump to top TTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-14-2017, 05:49:38 PM   #48
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTFS View Post
Looks great post the anodized photos!

Will do, just sent the set for the passenger side, that I am not using out to the plater.

My Journal

Old Mon, Jan-16-2017, 11:12:00 PM   #49
mikentosh

In the garage:

United States

Great job on the seat mounts!

Just wanted to add in for others looking, that I'm 6'4" and running these seats with the Planted mounts and I still have issues with headroom and a helmet. We took a look at modifying the mounts to go lower but there really isn't a good way with the offset position of the seat in relation to the floor bolts/studs. I'm hoping to solve the headroom issue by ditching the sunroof and going to a CSL-style carbon roof panel

Also FYI for others considering the Planted mounts...the seatbelt tab will interfere with the plastic edge of the Sportster CS which stops it from sliding all the way forward. We ended up cutting off the tab and mounting the belt directly to the metal lower seat frame with drilled and tapped welded plates sandwiching it.
Jump to top mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-17-2017, 04:07:47 AM   #50
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikentosh View Post
Great job on the seat mounts!

Just wanted to add in for others looking, that I'm 6'4" and running these seats with the Planted mounts and I still have issues with headroom and a helmet. We took a look at modifying the mounts to go lower but there really isn't a good way with the offset position of the seat in relation to the floor bolts/studs. I'm hoping to solve the headroom issue by ditching the sunroof and going to a CSL-style carbon roof panel

Also FYI for others considering the Planted mounts...the seatbelt tab will interfere with the plastic edge of the Sportster CS which stops it from sliding all the way forward. We ended up cutting off the tab and mounting the belt directly to the metal lower seat frame with drilled and tapped welded plates sandwiching it.
I'm glad I am not the only one that found the planted seat mount belt tabs were interfering. I was starting to think I was doing something wrong, because there are guys running that set up and I was a little surprised it did not work me.

A quick update, after having my first track day yesterday with this seat/mount.
I had to buy a new helmet, since my old one just expired and the new helmet is slightly thicker/taller and I was almost touching the headliner, so I can see how taller guys are needing to sit all the way on the floor and need a slick top. I guess not all helmets are the same in that regard, but of course that is a minimal difference.

As far as how the seat compares to the stock seat at the track.........Loved it! Lots more lateral support and also a lot more sensation of what the car is doing. I just feel a lot more connected, than with the stock seats.
FWIW, I broke my previous best time at this track, which I was not expecting, but there are always a ton of other factors at work, so it's not all the seat of course.

My Journal