BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jan-10-2017, 08:35:57 PM   #31
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Finished my Recaro Sportster CS seat install with custom floor mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdmej View Post
i've got a CS on my passenger side and was pleasantly surprised at how low it sat, but shorter passengers do note that it sits a bit low.

i use macht schnell floor mounts (which lets you get it as close to the center tunnel as practical) and macht schnell seat belt receptacle mounts (which add about half an inch of height)

the seat in general is on the wide side for E46 fitment, you can barely use the recline adjuster because it's so close to the door sill (a problem your mounts will probably remmedy if they can move it above the sill)

if there are potential weight savings involved i'd be interested in your mount!
Yes, I noticed that as well, that it is hard to get your hand in between the door sill and the recline adjuster.

I had one other person ask if I would make him another set. As with anything that needs to be produced, the cost of making just one or two sets would be astronomical, but I am happy to do so if there is interest. I don't necessarily want to deal with all the headaches of group buy and answering a 100 questions, but if someone else wants to see if there is enough interest in making at least five sets, then it would probably be reasonably cost effective. Meaning, in line with what you would pay for other mounts.

As far as weight savings. Yes, I managed to get each side done at about 6 lbs. The Macht Schnell Mounts are that much by themselves and then you still need the sliders, which are about 8 lbs.
The Planted & Wedge seat mounts are also about 8 lbs each, and offer not adjust-ability. Mine can be adjusted front to rear about 3.5", but you have to undo take screws in an out each time. That is the draw back of not having sliders.

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Sportline CS8's, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-10-2017, 09:14:20 PM   #32
bngl3rt

United States

Default Re: Finished my Recaro Sportster CS seat install with custom floor mounts

I'm 5'8" ish and definitely have to lower the stock seat from where I normally sit when it's time to go out on track so that my helmet isn't constantly hitting the roof.

How much clearance does your helmet have to the roof in this setup? Does your car have a sunroof?
Old Tue, Jan-10-2017, 11:03:03 PM   #33
toy4to
Lemonade Tycoon

Canada

I would be interested in a pair of mounts, if you decide to produce them.
Jump to top toy4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-11-2017, 12:37:44 AM   #34
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bngl3rt View Post
I'm 5'8" ish and definitely have to lower the stock seat from where I normally sit when it's time to go out on track so that my helmet isn't constantly hitting the roof.

How much clearance does your helmet have to the roof in this setup? Does your car have a sunroof?
I don't understand how you would have these issues at your size. I can easily put the stock seat half way up from the lowest setting and not hit the roof with a helmet and a sunroof. Maybe I am not sitting as upright as you, but that seems strange to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4to View Post
I would be interested in a pair of mounts, if you decide to produce them.
OK, you would be the 3rd person that is interested. Maybe I will price it out and see what it would take to make 5 sets.

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Sportline CS8's, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk
Old Wed, Jan-11-2017, 02:44:48 AM   #35
AngelesCrest

United States

Do you have a drawing file for me to use on my CNC machine? Like a .dwg .dxf or .eps?
Jump to top AngelesCrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-11-2017, 09:25:15 AM   #36
hemi8
M Power

United States

Are the seats in leather on the sides or vinyl? Do you like the materials?

Mike
2004 SMG M3, carbon black metallic w/cinnamon interior, OEM Euro Headers, Frank Smith engine & CSL SMG tuned, 300rwhp. Original SMG pump died @ 198k. Original clutch died @ 190k. Original rear diff. died @ 200k, driveshaft and axles shot @202k
Jump to top hemi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-11-2017, 12:28:18 PM   #37
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi8 View Post

Mike
You can order them either way.

... priced accordingly.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-11-2017, 01:43:04 PM   #38
Mr. Wolfe
Anti-Bling

In the garage:

United States

I would most likely be interested in a set if you decide to produce them and the price isn't "astronomical". Good job by the way.

Mr. Wolfe

2006 Interlagos/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT
1987 Turquoise Green / Imola Red 325is Mtech1 w/ M62 V8 Swap
1994 Porsche 911 Factory Widebody
2003 Alpine/Cinnamon ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
2003 Steel Gray/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
Jump to top Mr. Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-11-2017, 03:43:11 PM   #39
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelesCrest View Post
Do you have a drawing file for me to use on my CNC machine? Like a .dwg .dxf or .eps?
I don't, I'm sorry! I could send you a finished Post for a Haas or a Fanuc. And btw, that is only for the aluminum base. The sides are sheet metal and i had those made. I don't bend sheet metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi8 View Post

Mike
I don't know. Doesn't the Recaro website have that info? My guess is the sides are vinyl, but I am pretty happy with the quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wolfe View Post
I would most likely be interested in a set if you decide to produce them and the price isn't "astronomical". Good job by the way.

Mr. Wolfe
I will see what it would cost to make a few sets.

My Journal

Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 04:22:31 AM   #40
gospeedgo1

In the garage:

United States

I was at Griffin Motorwerke (Recaro distributor) last Tuesday comparing seats. Since it was brought up, I figured I would provide some measurements for those looking to gain more headroom by installing these seats.

Stock seat is 4-3/4" to 5" from bottom of seat rail to bottom of seat cushion near seat back at lowest position.

Macht Schnell floor mount thickness: 7/8"
Bimmerworld floor mount thickness: 3/4"
Recaro slider thickness: 7/8"
Macht Schnell 3 point seat belt bracket thickness: 3/8"

using Macht Schnell floor mounts: 2-1/8"
using Bimmerworld floor mounts: 2"

Recaro Sportster CS height from seat base/mount to bottom of seat cushion near seat back: 1-1/2"

So with Bimmerworld's setup with sliders, you are looking at 3-1/2" from bottom of floor mounts to bottom of seat cushion near seat back, 2-5/8" if you ran no slider. For some strange reason, I seemed to sit 1/2" lower in the Cross Sportster vs the CS (not sure if a difference in seat foam). Griffin Motorwerke is checking on this with Recaro.
Jump to top gospeedgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote