BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jun-18-2015, 05:10:18 PM   #1
crazyseaman
chris chach

United States

Default Chach's DIY Porsche 996 BBK Conversion extensive write up

Hello All...

So as a few of you know, I am in the process of doing the 996 Conversion on my car. I was inspired by Dafoe's post, p0lars knowledge and the increasing number of people doing this installation. As i need front and rear brakes i figured its now or never.

Regardless I have yet to come across a step by step guide ( as straight forward as it may seem) so I plan on creating it here for others. The info is on the forums but spread out, and I have not seen anything like this so sorry for the repost if it is. I also intend on giving a few review of my vendor experience, pricing, and what one should expect if going this route. (note all pricing listed as of 6/2015)

GOAL: To achieve less brake fade, a better pedal feeling, some brake bling, and refresh the entire brake setup for spirited highway driving. (car is currently at 73k)
Installed on a 2002 m3 convertible (non comp package)

Note: I could have probably purchased a used BBK for a similar price, but its used. I do not want used brakes period. Also note this is for both front and rear.

PARTS PURCHASED: (all prices include shipping etc)

ECS TUNING:
CSL/ZCP 2 Piece Front Brake Rotors = ES# 2677765 = $529.95
Porsche Front Textar Brake Pads= ES#2581221= $110.50
Porsche Rear Brake Pads= ES#2550165 = $74.54
(note: I went with the 2 piece because I was intrigued by the design- the sales rep said they were guaranteed not to warp etc so i figured id give it a shot. They were 65 dollars more then the OEM design. ECS is very helpful. I will note make sure you order everything at once. I tried to call back literally 2 minutes later to add fluid and I was told it was too late that my items have been packaged etc.- was not going to place a second order and pay for shipping. TBH that really pissed me off as I dropped a significant amount here. IMO this should not have been the response i received....... Also I will note that the pads would be cheapest from Pelican parts, (by like 50-55 bucks) however they were out of stock at the time and could not give me an ETA..... As for the pads, i opted for the OEM fitment rear pads rather then running 1 larger pad to avoid the rust ring.)

BRAKEPERFORMANCE.COM:
Standard cross drilled and slotted Rear brake rotors (black zinc coating) = $137.22
(note: these are not designed for a CSL/ZCP, but they will still work. The difference is that these are not floating rotors and are slightly heavier. Regardless the price was the cheapest I found across the internet. Also they told me that all their rotors are made to order so they have a 6-8 business day wait)

RALLYROAD.NET
Front 996 Brembo Adapter Brackets= $199.95
Front Caliper Machining= $95.00 (with my 20 dollar shipping fedex charge)
E46 M3 Front Porsche Brembo SS Brake lines= $64.95
Rear 996 Brembo Adapter Brackets= $194.95
E46 M3 Rear Porsche Brembo SS Brake lines= $64.95
(note: Eric from rallyroad is helpful, and knows his stuff but you will find yourself waiting sometime. The machining took only (2) weeks but I had to wait about (5) weeks to have the front brackets made and shipped. p0lar offers his version of rear brackets at a lower price point but was out of stock as well at the time i placed my rallyroad order)

PORSCHE CALIPERS:
996.351.425 (driver side front)
996.351.426 (passenger side front)
996.352.421 (driver side rear)
996.352.422 (passenger side rear)
Front and Rear Calipers with brake pad hardware and sensors I purchased for $1035 (with shipping) from a forum member.
(note: I could have probably sourced these cheaper, however I jumped the gun. I have seen them far cheaper but it is what it is. IMO this is where you can save the most money depending. I probably spent top dollar because these were previously powdercoated and off a lower mileage car.)

POWDER COATING:
Prodigy Coatings (based in Westchester NY).
Porsche Caliper rebuild and powdercoat in Imola Red with white "Brembo" lettering = $300.00
(note: I could have skipped this step, but I wanted the color to match my car. I had them not clear the white brembo logo as the white vinyl on a red caliper over time tends to bleed. Joe from prodigy printed me duplicate sets in black and silver should I want to change it at a later date)

BMW:
Fluid: OEM fluid (x2) about $10.00.

EBAY:
5mm SPACER with bolts. =$44.00
My front wheels are 19 x 8.5 et 35. I was told i need at least 5mm to clear.

ECS: $714.99
Brake Performance: $137.22
Rally Road: $619.80
Calipers: $1,035.00
Powdercoating: $300.00
BMW: 10.00
EBAY: 44.00
-----------------------------------
TOTAL SPENT: $2,861.01

My original build goal was 2k. I bet if i didnt opt for higher quality front rotors, bought the pads from pelican, rear brakets from polar, waited on cheaper calipers and didnt re paint the calipers I would be either at that or below that. Also if you have a competition package M3 you will be able to pull this off far cheaper then I.

EDIT- I HAD TO SPEND ANOTHER $80.00 because the 5mm spacers I purchased would not clear my wheels. 10mm works fine.
This brought my total to $2,941.01

Feel free to add input, etc to this thread. I will update with the install the first week in July once the damn rear brakes ship.
Cheers.
2002 E46 M3 VERT (NEW PROJECT)
1987 E30 325iS (DAILY DRIVER)
1992 DA INTEGRA (SOLD)

Last edited by crazyseaman; Fri, Jul-17-2015 at 08:07:35 PM.
Jump to top crazyseaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jun-18-2015, 05:11:14 PM   #2
crazyseaman
chris chach

United States

Default Re: Chach's DIY Porsche 996 BBK Conversion extensive write up

sorry for the delay, as promised here is my step by step write up on how to complete this install..
I apologize an advance for the verbiage I used. I will also note that this is a pretty basic install and any brake installation guide should be enough to help you.

I will note for the noobs that you need to have the mounting bosses from the front calipers shaved 5.5mm. Rally road did mine. Im sure any machine shop can pull this off

The goods:

FRONT INSTALL:
Remove caliper and rotor

Bolt bracket to the spindle

Install rotor

Using the supplied bolts mount caliper to the bracket. Note this is not a regular bolt. You will need a 13mm 12 point deep socket.

Attach brake lines in stock location.

REAR INSTALL:

Disconnect Rear brake pad sensor (only on passenger side) from behind the tirewell (on the side closer to the door... At this point i did not care to wire in the porsche sensors so i just tucked it up there. I read on a different forum that once disconnected you should rid the light on the cluster however i will note my light is still illuminated yellow. Not sure why- any input would be ideal.

unbolt caliper...
unbolt and remove rotor..

using a grinder or dremmel cut at least (3) inches on each side of the rear dust shield. Honestly your best bet is to just hold it there and mark it with a marker- however you should be fine with 3"

install rear bracket, put some anti-seize on hub and install the new rotor

put piston shims on... note one is larger then the other...
thread supplied bolts through caliper to bracket -tighten down

Drop pads in from top - slide pin through- you may need to bump it through with a hammer or other device. be careful not to scuff up them fresh calipers. Note the hole on the pin to place the cotter pin through to hold the pads in place

install supplied brake line. Feed line through stock location and use stock clips to hold. In addition I also used a black ziptie to secure it even more. Probably not necessary but it is extremely close to the axle and I wanted it to stay secure.

Enjoy the rear

Bleed brakes - start from the furthest corner from the master (rear passenger) and work your way to front driver side. Bleed clutch. Enjoy brakes

NOTE: i needed to purchase 10mm spacers for my fronts as my initial math for 5mm was way to close. again my front wheels are 19x8.5 et35.

CAPS TO STAND OUT:
SO FAR I PUT APPROX 250MILES ON THESE AND THEY ARE FANTASTIC. NO BRAKE FADE, NO NOISE, NICE BITE, GREAT FEEL. WILL UPDATE IN A FEW WEEKS AFTER MORE MILES ARE PUT ON
1992 DA INTEGRA (SOLD)

Last edited by crazyseaman; Tue, Feb-23-2016 at 05:28:10 PM.
Old Thu, Jun-18-2015, 05:11:53 PM   #3
crazyseaman
chris chach

United States

reserved for review after install with 500 miles
1992 DA INTEGRA (SOLD)
Old Thu, Jun-18-2015, 05:29:50 PM   #4
giOsaurus rEx
(╯_)╯︵ ┻━┻

In the garage:

United States

I'm looking forward to see your DIY guide. I have a complete set of 996 calipers at home in a box that I've already machined. I'm still in the process of debating whether to install them or not. I'm running ZCP wheels and am worrisome about using 18mm spacers for the front and 15mm spacers for the rear. I really want to avoid rolling the fenders.

Also, $300 was for a complete caliper rebuild using OE Porsche parts and powdercoating? If so, that's an amazing price.
Old Thu, Jun-18-2015, 05:36:16 PM   #5
crazyseaman
chris chach

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by giOsaurus rEx View Post
I'm looking forward to see your DIY guide. I have a complete set of 996 calipers at home in a box that I've already machined. I'm still in the process of debating whether to install them or not. I'm running ZCP wheels and am worrisome about using 18mm spacers for the front and 15mm spacers for the rear. I really want to avoid rolling the fenders.

Also, $300 was for a complete caliper rebuild using OE Porsche parts and powdercoating? If so, that's an amazing price.
Thats what he claims, and I agree. Great Price.
Second best would be RE powdercoating in PA. they wanted 320, but I would have to ship it there. (might be another option for those in that area)

TBH i dont even know the offsets for the ZCP wheels... i understand your concern with that.
1992 DA INTEGRA (SOLD)
Old Thu, Jun-18-2015, 05:43:07 PM   #6
Lyudmil

In the garage:

United States

I've been debating on whether to go forward with this, but it doesn't seem as much of a "budget" BBK as one might think. The only reason I might go through with this is because I already have a rear set of calipers from a 996 sitting here for about 2 years.

Have you driven a car with a StopTech, Brembo, or any other BBK for that matter? If so, how do these compare versus other kits?
Old Thu, Jun-18-2015, 05:47:42 PM   #7
crazyseaman
chris chach

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyudmil View Post
I've been debating on whether to go forward with this, but it doesn't seem as much of a "budget" BBK as one might think. The only reason I might go through with this is because I already have a rear set of calipers from a 996 sitting here for about 2 years.

Have you driven a car with a StopTech, Brembo, or any other BBK for that matter? If so, how do these compare versus other kits?
I have not, (at least yet) so I cant compare. Also, I agree. When tallying the overall cost it is rather pricey. I did this over the span of a few months so I didnt really realize the total until i wrote it all out......

Also for a front and rear BBK I still think at just under 3k for everything isnt the worst. A new BBK for fronts alone are around 2 grand. Buying a used set imo no matter "how low the miles" is still a used kit. Unless it was an absolute steal id probably still lean more towards this route.
1992 DA INTEGRA (SOLD)
Old Thu, Jun-18-2015, 06:05:54 PM   #8
giOsaurus rEx
(╯_)╯︵ ┻━┻

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyseaman View Post
Thats what he claims, and I agree. Great Price.
Second best would be RE powdercoating in PA. they wanted 320, but I would have to ship it there. (might be another option for those in that area)

TBH i dont even know the offsets for the ZCP wheels... i understand your concern with that.
Hmm maybe he meant that he will physically remove all the pistons and seals and what not, powdercoat them, and then reinstall what's originally there. The powdercoating company next to my job quoted me $300 for all 4 but the calipers have to be bare when they get them.

The 996 BBK upgrade is cheap if you already have the ZCP rotors. AP Racing BBK for the front alone is close to $4k. So you are still saving money when compared to that.
Old Thu, Jun-18-2015, 06:17:00 PM   #9
crazyseaman
chris chach

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by giOsaurus rEx View Post
Hmm maybe he meant that he will physically remove all the pistons and seals and what not, powdercoat them, and then reinstall what's originally there. The powdercoating company next to my job quoted me $300 for all 4 but the calipers have to be bare when they get them.

The 996 BBK upgrade is cheap if you already have the ZCP rotors. AP Racing BBK for the front alone is close to $4k. So you are still saving money when compared to that.

I will verify with them, however I handed him my calipers and he told me he will paint and rebuild them. He asked me specifics prior to bringing them as to have the necessary parts so I dont think its just to reassemble using the old pieces. Also, i handed him then fully assembled.
1992 DA INTEGRA (SOLD)
Old Fri, Jun-19-2015, 05:06:10 AM   #10
crazyseaman
chris chach

United States

also looking for info if spacers are needed in rear.
wheel size 19 x 9.5 et 25.
thank you
1992 DA INTEGRA (SOLD)