BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Dec-29-2018, 12:55:51 PM   #141
KS Golfer

United States

Default Re: Comprehensive CSL Intake Thread

there are fewer and fewer days nice enough to get the car out, so i'm about ready to start the evolve install and need to gather final parts. now that the CSL air rail is available again, i presume that's the preferred path to running a MAP sensor? the other alternative i'm considering is the https://www.kasselperformance.com/pr...onversion-kit/ .

i know the kassel solution will be cheaper as with the CSL air rail i still have to buy the sensor and some wiring. but for the $100 price delta, it seems like going OE is the better route?
Old Thu, Jan-17-2019, 05:00:57 AM   #142
mainstreamer00

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Golfer View Post
there are fewer and fewer days nice enough to get the car out, so i'm about ready to start the evolve install and need to gather final parts. now that the CSL air rail is available again, i presume that's the preferred path to running a MAP sensor? the other alternative i'm considering is the https://www.kasselperformance.com/pr...onversion-kit/ .

i know the kassel solution will be cheaper as with the CSL air rail i still have to buy the sensor and some wiring. but for the $100 price delta, it seems like going OE is the better route?
Honestly, if you haven't made a decision yet I'd highly recommend the Kassel kit. It's totally plug and play, and Kassel offers great support. Probably can't go wrong either way, but I'm just speaking from personal experience here. Good luck with your install.
Jump to top mainstreamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-20-2019, 12:57:01 AM   #143
Gary Powers
Taking the long way home.

In the garage:

United States

Does anyone know if a hardware conversion is necessary for an MSS54 DME to run a map-based setup for a CSL airbox without the flap? I've searched everywhere for the answer to this and haven't really been able to get a clear answer.
Old Wed, Feb-20-2019, 01:35:02 AM   #144
L0ADED

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Powers View Post
Does anyone know if a hardware conversion is necessary for an MSS54 DME to run a map-based setup for a CSL airbox without the flap? I've searched everywhere for the answer to this and haven't really been able to get a clear answer.
Yes, chips need to be added to a MSS54 to convert it to a HP. This will allow it to run the CSL map-based software and flap. I believe Terraphantm said in another thread that it was easier and possibly cheaper to get a HP than do the conversion.
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-20-2019, 03:54:01 AM   #145
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Definitely easier to do. And if you don't have soldering skills, programmers, etc, it's probably cheaper to just buy an HP rather than having someone convert it for you.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-20-2019, 04:53:41 AM   #146
Gary Powers
Taking the long way home.

In the garage:

United States

Ok thanks for clearing that up. Maybe its worth adding to the first post on here that MSS54 DMEs must be converted to MSS54HP in order to run a map-based tune, even without the flap. And from there the MSS54HP must be converted to the MSS54HP CSL by adding the H-bridge in order to run the flap.
Old Sat, Mar-09-2019, 07:06:19 AM   #147
Rfacteur

In the garage:

If you buy a MSS54HP rather than converting is there any chance that the VIN information or anything else would be wrong and potentially cause problems? Or can that be reassigned in the software?

Are there any other potential problems when swapping out a completely different DME?
Old Fri, Mar-22-2019, 02:14:38 PM   #148
jbfrancis3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Golfer View Post
now that the CSL air rail is available again, i presume that's the preferred path to running a MAP sensor? the other alternative i'm considering is the https://www.kasselperformance.com/pr...onversion-kit/ .

I, too, am interested in the answer to this question.

KS Golfer - where did you get the indication that CSL rail was preferable?