BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, May-15-2019, 07:47:09 AM   #31
Kurty

United States

Default Re: Warm Start Problem

I have this same problem since i bought this car too!

Things i changed

Spark Plugs
Fuel Pump
New Injectors
Fuel Pressure Regulator
New orings for the air tubes
Changed the filter 3 years ago
Crankshaft Position Sensor

Only thing left is MAF if that wont do it im puzzled. All the things ive replaced were recently. I deleted the adaptations too nothing..
Jump to top Kurty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-15-2019, 04:27:44 PM   #32
Race M3
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

United States

I have been dealing with this issue too....heres my post (which nobody has been replying to the last 2 pages, talking to myself mostly)

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=601358

mine happens cold and hot sporadically.

replaced the following;

fuel pump
fuel filter
fuel pressure regulator
fuel injectors
vacuum line
tps's
crank sensor
vanos seals
checked all grounds
starter
exhaust temp sensor
no vacuum leaks
new plugs
new coils (new eldor ones...)
coolant temp sensor
maf sensor

only code left in system is i get a crank sensor fault (checked circuit and replaced sensor and both are good) when it has the long crank/hard start and i have a code for the ebox fan (dme cooling fan) apparently this is wired into the same circuit as the injectors for some stupid reason, and the dme has the temp sensor for it built into the dme rather than in the e box like the non ///M's my though is dme is overheating and causing the issue or a short of some sort messing things up. part has arrived today and will report on if this fixes the issue. if not im selling it lol.

oil has a fuel smell which originally led me to replace the injectors (at 195k miles now and fcp euro had the bosch ones on sale for cheap so was better than paying a little less for rebuilds on my old ones) call pulls like hell and roasts the tires then randomly it fells like its holding back. also the hard starts...

Last edited by Race M3; Wed, May-15-2019 at 05:11:52 PM.
Jump to top Race M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-15-2019, 05:34:07 PM   #33
wolffbimmer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race M3 View Post
I have been dealing with this issue too....heres my post (which nobody has been replying to the last 2 pages, talking to myself mostly)

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=601358

mine happens cold and hot sporadically.

replaced the following;

fuel pump
fuel filter
fuel pressure regulator
fuel injectors
vacuum line
tps's
crank sensor
vanos seals
checked all grounds
starter
exhaust temp sensor
no vacuum leaks
new plugs
new coils (new eldor ones...)
coolant temp sensor
maf sensor

only code left in system is i get a crank sensor fault (checked circuit and replaced sensor and both are good) when it has the long crank/hard start and i have a code for the ebox fan (dme cooling fan) apparently this is wired into the same circuit as the injectors for some stupid reason, and the dme has the temp sensor for it built into the dme rather than in the e box like the non ///M's my though is dme is overheating and causing the issue or a short of some sort messing things up. part has arrived today and will report on if this fixes the issue. if not im selling it lol.

oil has a fuel smell which originally led me to replace the injectors (at 195k miles now and fcp euro had the bosch ones on sale for cheap so was better than paying a little less for rebuilds on my old ones) call pulls like hell and roasts the tires then randomly it fells like its holding back. also the hard starts...
This sounds a lot like the vanos solenoid. I used to get some random P0012 /11 codes which is the intake cam sensor. I replaced it but it came back. I read about how the vanos solenoid electrical connections on the circuit board crack and can cause those codes/or it gets stuck in wrong timing and won't pull hard up top/down low depending. I took mine out and cracked it apart. The connections were boogered just like Beisan's site said. Resoldered and put back together haven't had an issue since. This issue with the start is annoying though. I'm going to get a fuel pressure gauge to hook up and read it over a few days. Need to rule out 100% if this fuel related or not.
Jump to top wolffbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-15-2019, 06:00:09 PM   #34
Race M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbimmer View Post
This sounds a lot like the vanos solenoid. I used to get some random P0012 /11 codes which is the intake cam sensor. I replaced it but it came back. I read about how the vanos solenoid electrical connections on the circuit board crack and can cause those codes/or it gets stuck in wrong timing and won't pull hard up top/down low depending. I took mine out and cracked it apart. The connections were boogered just like Beisan's site said. Resoldered and put back together haven't had an issue since. This issue with the start is annoying though. I'm going to get a fuel pressure gauge to hook up and read it over a few days. Need to rule out 100% if this fuel related or not.
WHOOPS, forgot to mention that one too...

i cracked open the vanos solenoid as well and the solder joints were cracked. soldered them back and sealed it up and had no effect. cleaned the solenoid as well. passes vanos test. and timing is perfect as i used the bmw tools for timing. full adjustment range reached. never had a cam sensor fault. only vanos inlet fault which made me crack open the solenoid as the cam sensor was testing good.... lol. i hate this car.
Old Wed, May-15-2019, 06:23:34 PM   #35
Race M3

United States

Mine is mostly the start problem.

does the following;

-cranks and fires instantly....good

-cranks and fires but then rpms bounce up to 1,000 rpms as if one cylinder is dead or something and its building up fuel pressure or if its not detecting cam/crank position on one cylinder then runs perfectly 1 sec later

-cranks fires/chugs and dies in one second

-longer crank then fires.

idles perfectly. pulls hard (sometimes feels sluggish)

idk....im at a loss. no fault codes other than the crank sensor and ebox fan now.
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 02:09:58 PM   #36
IggyP

In the garage:

United States

Man with that many problems and that much money invested in guessing, I would just take it to a dealer and have them tell me what's wrong.

Edit: I just watched a quick video on youtube about this starting issue and will most likely purchase this little $10 part and try it. Sounds like i will be returning that Fuel pressure regulator.

This thing goes right where the Fuel pump is.

Last edited by IggyP; Thu, May-16-2019 at 02:15:16 PM.
Jump to top IggyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 05:49:08 PM   #37
Race M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyP View Post
Man with that many problems and that much money invested in guessing, I would just take it to a dealer and have them tell me what's wrong.

Edit: I just watched a quick video on youtube about this starting issue and will most likely purchase this little $10 part and try it. Sounds like i will be returning that Fuel pressure regulator.
Amazon.com: Muzzys 8mm, 5/16", Fuel Check Valve, Inline, One-Way, Non-Return, Aluminum, WITH CLAMPS, for Water, Gas, Diesel, Oils, on UTV, Quad, Snowmobile, Motorcycle, Jetski, Mower, Blower, Car, Truck, Tractor: Automotive
This thing goes right where the Fuel pump is.
well i was also refreshing the engine at 195k did bearings and all. actually had fault codes for the sensors/had a bad fuel injector on cylinder one. all codes are gone and runs like stronger than the day i bought it.

just random hard starting. dealer sent it back already saying nothing wrong with it and indy shops just leave it parked and say yeah nothing wrong. then when i go to pick it up and it does it right in front of them they are like oh well uhhh we didnt get it to do that.

I will say i replaced the ebox fan anD my car is running stronger than ever. if you have that code and car is sluggish especially when hot. replace the fan. e39 m5's suffer from performance loss from this fan as well. dme's and electrical are set up the same and its on the same circuit as the fuel injectors for some odd reason as well as temp sensor for ebox located inside the dme instead of a separate sensor inside the ebox itself like on the rest of the non ///M's. dme gets hot = all kinds or random stuff goes wrong. code wont set a cel either need ista or a comparable scanner to find the codes, generic reader wont show it.

Last edited by Race M3; Thu, May-16-2019 at 05:58:00 PM.
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 08:35:43 PM   #38
wolffbimmer

United States

Fuel filter replaced, issue happened again today. Lately when it does this issue it will chug once while cranking but doesn't check. I'm about done with this and will probably just let it go until something truly breaks/sets a code. I still will do the fuel pressure test just to see if any changes in pressure over time/when its hot. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to have someone with a BMW specific software to check it out as well.
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 09:38:44 PM   #39
yhp2009

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbimmer View Post
Fuel filter replaced, issue happened again today. Lately when it does this issue it will chug once while cranking but doesn't check. I'm about done with this and will probably just let it go until something truly breaks/sets a code. I still will do the fuel pressure test just to see if any changes in pressure over time/when its hot. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to have someone with a BMW specific software to check it out as well.
I have a similar problem hard starts when the engine is warm.
I was going to do a fuel injector refresh send it in to check for leaks and seals.
Supposedly when the engines warm the fuel can leak through microscopic defects and does not have enough time for the extra fuel to evaporate causing a temporary flooding situation. Not sure how sound this rationale really is but just something to consider.
Havent noticed you mentioning changing the injectors out yet.
Wondering if any reason in particular?
Jump to top yhp2009 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 10:20:34 PM   #40
wolffbimmer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhp2009 View Post
I have a similar problem hard starts when the engine is warm.
I was going to do a fuel injector refresh send it in to check for leaks and seals.
Supposedly when the engines warm the fuel can leak through microscopic defects and does not have enough time for the extra fuel to evaporate causing a temporary flooding situation. Not sure how sound this rationale really is but just something to consider.
Havent noticed you mentioning changing the injectors out yet.
Wondering if any reason in particular?
I feel like if there was a flood situation it would only be on one or two injectors if this is indeed a leaking injector. The other cylinders would fire normally and the leaking one would give a misfire. It's just hard to believe in 6-7 hours the car would lose enough fuel pressure to not start and not show a single sign of misfire or rough start the second start (which it fires up perfectly) Another member in this thread did have a leaking injector and he was having misfires/stumbles until it smoothed out. I just don't feel like replacing all the injectors at 40-50 a pop and still have the same problem as many others have done in this thread. I plan on grabbing a fuel pressure tester from harbor freight tomorrow and possibly swinging by a bmw shop to see if they will read the car with a bmw scanner.

Another thing I think about the time I held it for 30 seconds or longer for a no start, when it started up the next crank it smelt very rich of fuel from the exhaust. Maybe this problem is more ignition/spark related. What are all the components of the ignition system? Can EWS allow the car to crank and not get spark, I thought it there was an issue with EWS you wouldn't get crank. Coil packs (all 6 failing doubtful) MAF, Coolant temp sensor? Ignition switch has been changed out. The coolant temp sensor is a cheap item to replace just have to remove the manifold. But even some in here have done that with no luck. I will get the damn gauge and see what happens, I plan on leaving it hooked up and driving it until the next no start happens and see what pressure is when it does it.

Last edited by wolffbimmer; Thu, May-16-2019 at 10:34:46 PM.