BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, May-14-2019, 04:37:36 PM   #11
Paulo M

United States

Default Re: Thinking of selling (opinions wanted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB88 View Post
I've always been pretty curious as to why tons of people out there are singing the praises of/want an E60 M5 but nobody every talks about the E63 M6? Is it the loss of practicality in the smaller rear seats (I assume they're smaller) and loss of two doors? Surely that would come with weight savings/performance advantage, no? I've never driven either but again just curious since the M5 is so popular and the M6, at theoretical face value, seems like it should be the better performance car.

Well it’s considered by most people as an ugly car. The M5 is ugly too but it makes more sense as it’s a big sedan (big brute). A big coupe that is considered ugly isn’t as appealing. My friend had one for two yrs and sold it for the new M6. Neither lasted him long until moving on.

Power delivery was also similar to my M3, very linear and tq doesn’t hit you like the AMG/V/F like a big GT car should imo. Get behind a C63 and that throttle will push your face in. When driven gently it feels so luxurious. The SMG in the M6, although smoother than the smg m3 I drove still doesn’t live up to a true GT car of 2019. Power, Refinement, and Style is what I personally look for in a GT car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Paulo M; Tue, May-14-2019 at 04:42:36 PM.
Jump to top Paulo M is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 05:33:15 PM   #12
SeanE46

In the garage:

Armenia

Don’t think a 650 makes people turn heads as you want, an M6 will do the trick!
Jump to top SeanE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 06:07:12 PM   #13
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal420 View Post
Really? Fudge, maybe I do need to rethink it. Appreciate the feedback. What are the normal things you have to sort out?
Well, you know, the normal BMW stuff - rod bearings, SMG pump motor (if going with SMG), VANOS (mostly solenoids) and throw in throttle body actuators on S85. Typical stuff.
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 06:12:08 PM   #14
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Well it’s considered by most people as an ugly car. The M5 is ugly too but it makes more sense as it’s a big sedan (big brute). A big coupe that is considered ugly isn’t as appealing. My friend had one for two yrs and sold it for the new M6. Neither lasted him long until moving on.

Power delivery was also similar to my M3, very linear and tq doesn’t hit you like the AMG/V/F like a big GT car should imo. Get behind a C63 and that throttle will push your face in. When driven gently it feels so luxurious. The SMG in the M6, although smoother than the smg m3 I drove still doesn’t live up to a true GT car of 2019. Power, Refinement, and Style is what I personally look for in a GT car.

Looks are subjective, but I mostly agree on power delivery and torque. Though, none of the above mentioned cars can be had for under $20K. V10 is a V10, no matter how you look at it, and the sound this thing makes is absolutely glorious. And I'm a big fan how it looks.

Old Tue, May-14-2019, 06:14:12 PM   #15
W///

In the garage:

Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
Looks are subjective, but I mostly agree on power delivery and torque. Though, none of the above mentioned cars can be had for under $20K. V10 is a V10, no matter how you look at it, and the sound this thing makes is absolutely glorious. And I'm a big fan how it looks.

Big fan of the 6er as well. You just never see these M6's on the road.

How come you're about to put yours up for sale after fixing everything? Making room for a new project?

Jump to top W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 06:39:00 PM   #16
Paulo M

United States

Default Thinking of selling (opinions wanted)

Quote:

That is true, looks are subjective.

I just remember seeing a lot of threads and articles calling them ugly when my friend was looking to buy. Chris Bangle is considered a failure because of his designs, 6 series arguably being the main one. Although I will say, when done right m6 does have a presence about it.

Here’s my friend’s m6. My biggest criticism of it isn’t even the looks but the transmission. As I believe a GT car should be smooth. Would have preferred a standard Auto in it.

Last edited by Paulo M; Tue, May-14-2019 at 06:47:34 PM.
Jump to top Paulo M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 06:50:38 PM   #17
norcal420
mass nerder

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanE46 View Post
Don’t think a 650 makes people turn heads as you want, an M6 will do the trick!
haha, in LA I believe you but I'm in the land of F150s. Most folks here can't pronounce BMW.

Quote:
Well, you know, the normal BMW stuff - rod bearings, SMG pump motor (if going with SMG), VANOS (mostly solenoids) and throw in throttle body actuators on S85. Typical stuff.
10-4, thanks. And I admit, while I'm generally not a fan of Bangle either, yours looks pretty good.
Jump to top norcal420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 08:06:28 PM   #18
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Big fan of the 6er as well. You just never see these M6's on the road.

How come you're about to put yours up for sale after fixing everything? Making room for a new project?
Yeah, I have 6 cars, my wife gave me an ultimatum - said something gotta go before I can bring in another car - plus I simply don't have the room anymore.

I also have a few possible projects I want to take on, and this one is all fixed up I had it for a long time too, and its my lowest mileage car at 67K miles. I'm still on the fence.
Old Tue, May-14-2019, 08:45:24 PM   #19
pbonsalb

I like the idea of a cruiser, but it has to have plenty of power, handle decently and be comfortable. As I get older, the raw cars are fun for shorter periods of time. I might even be at the point where I would sell my current cruiser, an 08 M3, to buy a car along the lines of a 2015 M5 or M6 or E63 AMG BiTurbo. A new AWD M5 or AMG would be awesome but too much money.

An older V10 M5 or M6 would be fun but another high rpm screamer. If I could have a car collection, I would have one, but I don’t have the space or the time and money to maintain more than the 3 BMW that I have now.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 12:06:56 PM   #20
W///

In the garage:

Thailand

Quote:
Yeah, I have 6 cars, my wife gave me an ultimatum - said something gotta go before I can bring in another car - plus I simply don't have the room anymore.

I also have a few possible projects I want to take on, and this one is all fixed up I had it for a long time too, and its my lowest mileage car at 67K miles. I'm still on the fence.
Understood. I'm at 5 cars, and I completely understand. It's completely first world problems, but realistically, the M's only get driven like once a week, while I pile on the miles on my G20 330i. Plus it's very difficult to keep them maintained (time wise), especially to your standards. Personally, I'm pretty happy with the M's I have and don't plan on adding anything else. The only car that is tempting would be: M2 CS, 997 Turbo, Gen 5 Dodge Viper and an M5/6 V10 with a 6MT.

But all those cars cost as much as all 3 of my M's combined so I'll pass for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I like the idea of a cruiser, but it has to have plenty of power, handle decently and be comfortable. As I get older, the raw cars are fun for shorter periods of time. I might even be at the point where I would sell my current cruiser, an 08 M3, to buy a car along the lines of a 2015 M5 or M6 or E63 AMG BiTurbo. A new AWD M5 or AMG would be awesome but too much money.

An older V10 M5 or M6 would be fun but another high rpm screamer. If I could have a car collection, I would have one, but I don’t have the space or the time and money to maintain more than the 3 BMW that I have now.
Completely with you. There was a time in my life where I would question why I don't drive my Z4M Roadster everyday. Those days are definitely gone. No interest in selling the fun cars, but I'm definitely looking at selling my 4Runner and lease car for a used Toyota Tundra Platinum. At $35k, that's a mint E39 M5 or older M, which at some point would have been inconceivable to me. But I like the idea of a with minimal maintenance, comfy and can be useful for house chores.

Jump to top W/// is offline   Reply With Quote