BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Wed, May-15-2019, 05:21:54 PM   #21
Turb02

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Global Fuel Factor: Definitive & Final Guide to Calbrating MSS54 for Larger Injec

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4ck_m3 View Post
I believe ESS uses 3.5 bar for their 630cc injectors?

So effectively 630cc at 3.5 bar gets converted to 527.1 @ 5 bar.
for easier comparision against stock using hassan's equation.
How do you get this conversion?

Currently my car has 39lb (410cc) Ford injectors. At 5bar, what would that convert to?

The ID1050x that I have on hand, based on the websites chart, at 70psi (approx 5bar) is 1350cc

So I guess Im confused why some numbers are converting to a higher CC with more pressure, and some actually lose CCs.

Still trying to learn this stuff.

NOT NARDO
Active Autowerke Stage 2.5-AA Headers-Supersprint-Meisterschaft-Vorsteiner-Brembo-AC Schnitzer-BBS-CSL
6MT swapped-RTD shifter-Amber Gang
Jump to top Turb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-15-2019, 05:37:09 PM   #22
tr4ck_m3
Buildjournal

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Global Fuel Factor: Definitive & Final Guide to Calbrating MSS54 for Larger Injec

I'm just converting 630cc @ 3.5bar to what it would flow cc-wise at 5 bar to make the conversion easier.

630 cc flowing at 5 bar would be 630 cc

630 cc flowing at 3.5 bar (ESS Aftermarket) would be equivalent to 527.1cc @ 5 bar.

technically, most tuners for other cars just put in the injector latency profiles and call it a day. Not sure if that strategy has been discussed or mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb02 View Post
How do you get this conversion?

Currently my car has 39lb (410cc) Ford injectors. At 5bar, what would that convert to?

The ID1050x that I have on hand, based on the websites chart, at 70psi (approx 5bar) is 1350cc

So I guess Im confused why some numbers are converting to a higher CC with more pressure, and some actually lose CCs.

Still trying to learn this stuff.
2013 BMW F30 335i 8AT - MLSD | XHP Stg3 + MHD E30 Stg2 | KW V1 | Volk TE37

Last edited by tr4ck_m3; Wed, May-15-2019 at 05:41:04 PM.
Jump to top tr4ck_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-15-2019, 06:59:59 PM   #23
Turb02

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4ck_m3 View Post
I'm just converting 630cc @ 3.5bar to what it would flow cc-wise at 5 bar to make the conversion easier.

630 cc flowing at 5 bar would be 630 cc

630 cc flowing at 3.5 bar (ESS Aftermarket) would be equivalent to 527.1cc @ 5 bar.

technically, most tuners for other cars just put in the injector latency profiles and call it a day. Not sure if that strategy has been discussed or mentioned.
Thanks for the assistance.

For anyone needing to calculate this out for their injectors, I found this calculator that helped me determine my 410CC injectors @ 5bar flow 529CC, and will flow 1356CC on my 1050s (as posted on the Injector Dynamic page)

https://www.raceworks.com.au/calcula...fuel-pressure/

NOT NARDO
Active Autowerke Stage 2.5-AA Headers-Supersprint-Meisterschaft-Vorsteiner-Brembo-AC Schnitzer-BBS-CSL
6MT swapped-RTD shifter-Amber Gang
Jump to top Turb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 07:22:42 AM   #24
MartynT

In the garage:

United Kingdom

I've never seen a tune where injector latency or dead time has been changed.

According to the specs of the Siemens Deka 630cc, they are rated for 630cc @ 3 bar, or 900cc at 6 bar. Which would make them *roughly* 673cc at 3.5 bar?
Jump to top MartynT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-27-2019, 12:46:14 PM   #25
paulclaude

Scotland

Bit late to the show on this one, but thought I'd chime in.

Having setup custom size injectors on MSS54 various times, I can say unfortunately in practice that Brian's calculation doesn't have the expected results. There is definitely more of a trial and error approach getting them scaled correctly. As you would expect, the injector latency table also has a direct effect on fueling.

For anyone wanting to re-scale correctly, I would first set the injector latency times according to your injector specs, then alter your K_TI_GA until fueling is hitting required targets. It's essential to turn off lambda control and adaption factors whist doing so, to stop them skewing results. You can then enable these once you are close to correct if required
2005 E46 M3 #Ringtool - Self Tuned - SSV2/2.5" SS Sect2/SS LWR - Schrick 288/280 - AEM Infinity - Karbonius CSL Intake - Nitron NTR R3 - Turner ARBs - Poly Bushed - Apex ARC-8 Square Setup - Alcon 365/345mm F&R BBK - Recaro SPGs - Sabelt Harnesses - SD MSA Full Cage - 6MT Conv. w/CAE Ultra Shifter - Seibon CSL Carbon Boot - MK-Rennsport GTS Wing - GSR Carbon Wings
Jump to top paulclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-27-2019, 02:27:37 PM   #26
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Looking at the disassembly, Brian's math doesn't really make sense to me. It seems to be a straight up unsigned multiplication of TI_GA against TI_F_TMOT_VSP, TI_F_NAS, and TI_F_START. So you shouldn't have to subtract from 1.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-27-2019, 02:55:05 PM   #27
paulclaude

Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Looking at the disassembly, Brian's math doesn't really make sense to me. It seems to be a straight up unsigned multiplication of TI_GA against TI_F_TMOT_VSP, TI_F_NAS, and TI_F_START. So you shouldn't have to subtract from 1.
Terra - yes, if latency values are set correctly, K_TI_GA value seems to end up pretty close by simply setting it as a percentage of old injectors. e.g 400cc injectors would be 260/400 = 0.65
2005 E46 M3 #Ringtool - Self Tuned - SSV2/2.5" SS Sect2/SS LWR - Schrick 288/280 - AEM Infinity - Karbonius CSL Intake - Nitron NTR R3 - Turner ARBs - Poly Bushed - Apex ARC-8 Square Setup - Alcon 365/345mm F&R BBK - Recaro SPGs - Sabelt Harnesses - SD MSA Full Cage - 6MT Conv. w/CAE Ultra Shifter - Seibon CSL Carbon Boot - MK-Rennsport GTS Wing - GSR Carbon Wings
Jump to top paulclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-27-2019, 06:10:25 PM   #28
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

So looking into things a little bit, I think K_HFM_TI_RATE would be another means by which we can adjust the fueling for different injectors. From what I can see, K_RF_HUBVOLUMEN (displacement), K_RF_LUFTDICHTE (air density), and cylinder count are all factored together with K_HFM_TI_RATE to generate "RF_TI_CONST" - likely would represent the target pulse width (per RPM?) for a given RF.

Not sure if there's an advantage to adjusting K_HFM_TI_RATE vs K_TI_GA. Perhaps the former would keep the MPG calculations correct?

And on the topic of fueling, despite what we call them, I'm pretty sure the fuel maps aren't lambda maps. They're just multipliers on the base pulsewidth. Said base pulsewidth is likely calculated by multiplying (or maybe dividing, I don't know the units) RF, RF_TI_CONST, and RPM together to generate a pulse width that will result in a stoich map. That's why the CSL manages with its fuel map being 1.00 entirely - because the fueling is calculated from cylinder filling anyway.

So effectively the fuel maps end up being inverted lambda maps, but that's not really the "design" goal.

Also of note, BMW did enter the wrong displacement (3.201 vs 3.246 -- likely means the MSS54 started development on the s50b32 or the S54 initially retained that 86.4mm bore). S62 has the correct displacement entered at 4.941 liters

Last edited by terraphantm; Mon, May-27-2019 at 06:13:57 PM.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-29-2019, 08:26:23 PM   #29
NickG
BMW turbos with the factory ECU

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
So looking into things a little bit, I think K_HFM_TI_RATE would be another means by which we can adjust the fueling for different injectors. From what I can see, K_RF_HUBVOLUMEN (displacement), K_RF_LUFTDICHTE (air density), and cylinder count are all factored together with K_HFM_TI_RATE to generate "RF_TI_CONST" - likely would represent the target pulse width (per RPM?) for a given RF.
Ding, ding, ding!! We finally have a winner here

And yes, injector latency tables SHOULD change and match the injectors being used. The actual latency also depends on the ECU's circuitry. The injector manufacturer's tables are merely a starting point.
Old Fri, Jul-12-2019, 11:02:49 AM   #30
romano21

United States

in my opinion K_HFM_TI_RATE need to be corrected in case of use larger case for airflow meter

Paulclaud
if latency values are set correctly, K_TI_GA value seems to end up pretty close by simply setting it as a percentage of old injectors. e.g 400cc injectors would be 260/400 = 0.65

it's correct it's good base need to be refined from this base.

It's work i use that for M3.8.3 ecu since many year it's work perfectly
Jump to top romano21 is offline   Reply With Quote