BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sat, Mar-30-2019, 04:09:33 AM   #1
StealYourFace

In the garage:

United States

Default Shifter questions (oem rebuild)

The previous owner took a clean car and did a few mods that I have undone (cheap coilovers, cheap aftermarket 1 piece seat, muffler delete) and others I have left (Dinan carbon fiber cai, and "tune") .

He stated that he put a uuc dssr on the car. I have been driving stick shift bmws for 20 years now... 1,3 and 5 are all too close... to the point that while sharing the car at the glen with my dad he shifted into 1st instead of 3rd.... got both feet in in time to not grenade anything, but he did loop the car.... nothing hit.

Previous owner also put in solid bushings engine and trans that are being replace with oem rubber... this shifter though.... I want to solve it once. Part of me is thinking going all oem rebuilt with a weighted oem knob, or maybe the z3 shifter, again, owm selector, all new bushings detents ect. And another trans fluid change.

It's a decent clean car that can be really nice with not a lot of money involved.

As far as 1st, 3rd and 5th being so close, would the dssr cause that? Can it be shimmed if thats the case? Other ideas? I'm aware going all oem will last be 40,000 miles or so, and I'm sort of ok with that.... but it's not ideal. since I've driven some other cars with really sweet shifters.

Thanks for reading.
Old Sat, Mar-30-2019, 06:18:45 AM   #2
omairtheman1

United States

Default Re: Shifter questions (oem rebuild)

I really like the Rogue shifter I got. It's more OEM + than most.
Jump to top omairtheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-30-2019, 03:14:33 PM   #3
Richardsperry
95 SC M3

United States

There could be a few issues that you’re dealing with.

I never had a problem with my UUC ssk.

The lever is adjustable for height, which increases distance.

Also check the shift carrier bushing in back, and the joint in front. But really you shouldn’t be having an issue. Perhaps call Rob at UUC?
Old Tue, Apr-23-2019, 07:35:11 PM   #4
JJCTHE1

In the garage:

United States

I would do an OEM rebuild, there are plenty of kits you can get pretty cheap and just replace it all. The Z3 shifter is nice w a ZHP knob, that is what I have its a little notchier than stock but feels way better and all OEM BMW parts, all easily available and can be bought in a kit. UUC kit is good as well. Good to hear you are undoing dumb mods.
Old Sun, Apr-28-2019, 08:32:33 PM   #5
UDPride

United States

The BMW manual trannies are pretty blech from the factory to begin with so the tinkering upside is marginal. There are some things you can try to do but there's only so much that can be done with these rubbery, sloppy, notchy, gritty-clutch monsters. Its sort of like shining a turd and pretty much every BMW manual Ive driven has felt like an ol' turd in the hands compared to the competition (have not driven anything post-E92). You pretty much said it yourself driving BMW sticks for 20 years. These are what they are. I dont like it either but Ive just learned to live with it and accept that the S52 is as good as the tranny is bad and so its a wash. I take that back, its a net positive b/c the S52 is brilliant.

If I drive my E36 for a week or two, the blech-ness fades. But I really notice it when I drive the E36 and Cayman back to back. Its bologna to filet mignon gearbox/clutch-wise. Your gearbox may be even worse than stock with all the tinkering, and can be improved some, but I cannot say. Im just saying even getting it back to OEM with a weighted shifter (which I have) and a SSK (which I have), its still never going to be great. Id categorize it as a "grudgingly tolerable" existence. Folks may think Im huffing the Krylon, but I dont look down on the E36 M3 Automatic toters on here and why some dude walked into a showroom back in the 90s, drove the stick and auto back to back and thought the auto was better at being an auto than the stick a stick and ended up buying the auto M3. I have sympathy for that conundrum.

It wouldnt be a BMW without some love/hate to make it interesting.
2006 CAYMAN S | 45K mi | Guards | Tweaked but Daily Driven

Front Engined! Mid-Engined! Rear-Engined!
There Is No Substitute for the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Jump to top UDPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-29-2019, 03:37:57 PM   #6
haines

In the garage:

United States

I donít think the UCC shifter would make the the spacing between 1st, 3rd, and 5th closer, it makes the throw between odd and even gears smaller. I love my UCC shifter and couldnít go back. The OEM throw is so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top haines is offline   Reply With Quote