BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, May-14-2017, 06:01:08 PM   #1
19shaun79
<insert funny quote here>

In the garage:

Canada

Default Exhaust camshaft position sensor issues...

it all started after a trip to calgary and edmonton and back to winnipeg last summer. When I got home the engine sounded very ‘ticky’ so I opened it up and checked the valves. A lot of them were out of tolerance, so I adjusted them. I did not remove the VANOS to adjust the valves.
Once I put it all back together, did an oil change and started it up, I got a code - Exhaust camshaft position sensor. The symptoms were quite intense when I started it up - pushing the gas pedal resulted in a ‘bog’ of the engine before climbing in revs. It did not stall and it idled fine.
So I replaced the sensor and started it back up. Once again the car idles fine, seems to climb in revs fine. I took it for a drive yesterday to try to go through a drive cycle with it. The car feels sluggish (like not as fast as my Focus ST), granted I haven’t driven the Bimmer since last August and they are two different cars with different characteristics. The Bimmer just feels slow now. no ‘bogging’ when I hit the gas pedal, but not that ‘throw you back in the seat’ feeling I remember it having last summer.
AND there are codes remaining! It’s showing:
B9 - Function Exhaust VANOS
OF - Camshaft sensor synchronization to camshaft
OA - Signal, camshaft sensor, exhaust

For reference: I have the BEISAN solenoid, and have done all the VANOS lock downs there are. I have headers, no cats, and a FSTT tune. I have deleted the SAP, but still sometimes pop a code for it.

Do I need to time the engine? Should I check the VANOS, even though there is NO WAY that there should be anything wrong with it? What’s going on??

Thanks in advance…
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, May-14-2017, 07:13:26 PM   #2
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Exhaust camshaft position sensor issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19shaun79 View Post
it all started after a trip to calgary and edmonton and back to winnipeg last summer. When I got home the engine sounded very ‘ticky’ so I opened it up and checked the valves. A lot of them were out of tolerance, so I adjusted them. I did not remove the VANOS to adjust the valves.
Once I put it all back together, did an oil change and started it up, I got a code - Exhaust camshaft position sensor. The symptoms were quite intense when I started it up - pushing the gas pedal resulted in a ‘bog’ of the engine before climbing in revs. It did not stall and it idled fine.
So I replaced the sensor and started it back up. Once again the car idles fine, seems to climb in revs fine. I took it for a drive yesterday to try to go through a drive cycle with it. The car feels sluggish (like not as fast as my Focus ST), granted I haven’t driven the Bimmer since last August and they are two different cars with different characteristics. The Bimmer just feels slow now. no ‘bogging’ when I hit the gas pedal, but not that ‘throw you back in the seat’ feeling I remember it having last summer.
AND there are codes remaining! It’s showing:
B9 - Function Exhaust VANOS
OF - Camshaft sensor synchronization to camshaft
OA - Signal, camshaft sensor, exhaust

For reference: I have the BEISAN solenoid, and have done all the VANOS lock downs there are. I have headers, no cats, and a FSTT tune. I have deleted the SAP, but still sometimes pop a code for it.

Do I need to time the engine? Should I check the VANOS, even though there is NO WAY that there should be anything wrong with it? What’s going on??

Thanks in advance…
You need to diagnose it with a scan tool that shows you current camshaft position, and can run it through the Vanos test.

If the tool shows a good, consistent camshaft position reading, but the Vanos test shows your exhaust cam didn't move at all, you probably need to clean out the valve body and/ or get a new solenoid from Raj.
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-16-2017, 05:25:42 AM   #3
DRockM3

Canada

Run the Vanos test on DIS, it helped me pinpoint a similar problem.

My similar problem although on the intake side ended up being the valve body, it must have gotten plugged while I was doing the 'cleaning' procedure. Never could get it clear again. Replaced Valve body and 100%.
Jump to top DRockM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-30-2017, 09:02:52 PM   #4
19shaun79
<insert funny quote here>

In the garage:

Canada

Well, life has a habit of getting in the way of me and my M3.

I had a friend do some tests on the car and he suggested that the exhaust cam was retarded. I opened the engine back up and checked it and sure enough that cam was way out of time. I fixed that, timed the top and bottom.

When I put it back together I cleared the codes, went for a drive and it felt better. No codes came back. The next morning I went to drive it to work and the codes popped up right away. Same codes as before.

Now when I stab the throttle it still has a bit of hesitation. Not as bad as before, but noticeable to me.

I haven't had time to run the DIS VANOS test yet, but I guess that is my next step. At least now I know that the engine is timed properly.

I will update when I have the VANOS test completed.