BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Mar-15-2017, 05:01:22 AM   #11
MrCooperS

United States

Default Re: Who should I trust? Advice needed regarding M3 service (VANOS & others)

I've always trusted Indys over stealerships. My opinion is that it's sounds like your car is overdue for some major maintenance or preventative maintenance IF your new Indy mechanic is really reputable.

For what it's worth, my car had a PPI done at a shop that was reputable in Queens NY. When I bought the car and dropped it off with my mechanic who I trust, he began to work on it and found a slew of things that needed work such as the upper chain guide. He also found some leaks that were misdiagnosed by the PPI. And this car felt "fine" driving back over a hundred miles from NYC to Boston.

Point is, upon a visual inspection, the diagnosis is only accurate to a certain degree. Find a mechanic with a good reputation, someone you can talk to and ask questions. And don't be surprised if new things come up when they start opening up the engine.
Jump to top MrCooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Mar-15-2017, 05:09:06 AM   #12
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Who should I trust? Advice needed regarding M3 service (VANOS & others)

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_basten View Post
What exactly is the $1500 VANOS rebuild? I don't know how they can determine anything with just little noise, without open it up, and the car drive perfectly fine. Since you know you need a valve adjustment anyway, I would do a valve adjustment and Beisan VANOS refresh all together to knock down the VANOS. You can't really determine the VANOS condition without open it up to check the tabs and bolts.
Yes, this is what I was trying to convey in my very long post. They said they "heard" the vanos rattle. I wasn't given any explanation as to how or why they came to the conclusion it needed the vanos rebuilt, except for "they heard the rattle"... when I listen to the car, I hear nothing different than what I've heard at any time the car's been running smoothly. I'm incredibly sensitive to any sound or handling changes, so this is why I was stunned. I know the sound of the specific vanos rattle, but I'm still a bit confused as to how this can be diagnosed without opening it up to inspect further?

2005 BMW M3 E46
"The M-Beast"
Jump to top nascar_acj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-15-2017, 05:13:23 AM   #13
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCooperS View Post
I've always trusted Indys over stealerships. My opinion is that it's sounds like your car is overdue for some major maintenance or preventative maintenance IF your new Indy mechanic is really reputable.

For what it's worth, my car had a PPI done at a shop that was reputable in Queens NY. When I bought the car and dropped it off with my mechanic who I trust, he began to work on it and found a slew of things that needed work such as the upper chain guide. He also found some leaks that were misdiagnosed by the PPI. And this car felt "fine" driving back over a hundred miles from NYC to Boston.

Point is, upon a visual inspection, the diagnosis is only accurate to a certain degree. Find a mechanic with a good reputation, someone you can talk to and ask questions. And don't be surprised if new things come up when they start opening up the engine.
Thank you for responding. The car has definitely been very well maintained, as it was my daily driver for about five years before I moved home and began working from home. When I say daily driver, I mean I was driving back and forth across NC in it every week without a single issue. The car has been an absolute champ and I never expected it to be so reliable. Once I parked it, it started going haywire for a bit, so I started driving it around town now since I don't leave town much and it's gone back to being it's normal old self.

Speaking of new things coming up... I'm actually sending off this oil sample I got today to Blackstone. Oh boy. (Though honestly I drive it like a total grandma, so at least I know for the majority of its life, it's never been totally abused)

2005 BMW M3 E46
"The M-Beast"
Old Wed, Mar-15-2017, 05:22:27 AM   #14
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

To everyone who has responded so far- Thank you. Today was sort of like finding out a relative is sick... even though they seemed completely healthy. Is that a bad analogy? lol

Anyways, thankfully I'm hoping to pick up a new daily by this summer (I had planned on sooner, but I just don't drive enough (& have other cars at my house) for it to make sense just yet.) So while I will be maintaining the M3, it will probably end up being in the garage for more time here and there, which will allow me more time for maintenance and the ability to baby it. It took me about the last five months to drive it 1,000 miles, when I was originally putting about 13-15k on it a year and driving it long distances. I've been sort of screwed over by mechanics in the past, so while I'm a very outspoken and confident person, I get sort of iffy when knowing what to trust and what not to trust. Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the advice!

2005 BMW M3 E46
"The M-Beast"