BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Feb-04-2018, 12:21:26 PM   #21
Paulo M

United States

Default Re: Smg to 6mt??? Hurt or increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninohale View Post
Did you just compare a Gallardo/$100k car to an e46 m3?!

Just making sure....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Compare the cars? No. Compare a buying process? Sure.

Let me guess, you converted your transmission to 6spd? Lol smg owners are hoping the swap raises the value of their car,...lmao good luck. And that’s no knock on smg, I actually dont mind them.

Last edited by Paulo M; Sun, Feb-04-2018 at 12:26:32 PM.
Jump to top Paulo M is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Feb-04-2018, 03:38:08 PM   #22
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Sigh, so that settles it. All smg cars should be swapped out! Including zcp and csl’s...since it changes nothing and increases price...
Would be nice to cure the world of the SMG plague. I did my part.
Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-04-2018, 04:41:11 PM   #23
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Pretty sure it'll increase the cars value, on average.

Quote:
Sigh, so that settles it. All smg cars should be swapped out! Including zcp and csl’s...since it changes nothing and increases price...
I'd convert an CSL to 6mt, if i had one. Even adds additional lightness to the CSL

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-04-2018, 04:49:14 PM   #24
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
We can agree to disagree, but that is a big hit and it won’t increase the price like you say it will imo. And there’s more risks/involvement to a transmission conversion vs changing interior seats lol. Hell there’s less risks with an exterior color change. Again we’re debating resale on a car generally selling for $10k-$15k these days.
I agree that a 6MT conversion (not a swap) is technically more invasive than an interior swap as the it requires special tools/machining/coding and an astute attention to detail to do it right.

That said, if done right, I do not agree that it's a 'big hit'. I would say that worst case scenario is that the value would be the same as it was pre-conversion but more likely the value will go up slightly simply due to supply/demand.

FAR, FAR more people want a 6MT car than an SMG car. A swapped car is in fact a 6MT car which means it's more desirable than an SMG car but less desirable than a factory 6MT car, I would think.

In the end, though, I do agree with your bigger point that if we're talking the average $15k car who gives a flying fukk. Swap the car and enjoy it. So what if you lose or gain a couple grand. Makes no difference in the grand scheme. But it will make a HUGE difference to your ownership enjoyment if you must have a 6MT.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG

Last edited by EricSMG; Sun, Feb-11-2018 at 10:12:10 PM.
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-04-2018, 05:12:19 PM   #25
pawa_k2001
Track Junkie

In the garage:

Ukraine

So for a 2002 BMW M3, Alpine White on black manual bases leather interior, also slicktop. 55k miles with religious maintenance.

Does a SMG to manual help, destroy or doesn't effect the value? (not that it matter since I already did the swap and started to look into a MK60 swap too)

Suspension: AST 4100 GTS Suspension, Vorshlag camber plates, Mason front strut bar
Engine: Evolve R Software, Status Gruppe SCZA exhaust
Exterior: Status Gruppe front valance
Brakes: Bimmerworld brake stiffener kit
Wheels: Apex ARC-8 18x9.5" W/ Dunlop Star Spec tires 275/35/18

Last edited by pawa_k2001; Sun, Feb-04-2018 at 05:15:36 PM.
Jump to top pawa_k2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-04-2018, 05:44:58 PM   #26
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
So for a 2002 BMW M3, Alpine White on black manual bases leather interior, also slicktop. 55k miles with religious maintenance.

Does a SMG to manual help, destroy or doesn't effect the value? (not that it matter since I already did the swap and started to look into a MK60 swap too)
It'll likely range between not impacting the value to slightly adding to it. I wouldn't worry about it hurting the value except for the few people who have to have absolutely original everything.

What would hurt value IMO is taking short cuts. Not wiring in cruise control, not coding it properly, using an RTD-style shifter instead of an OE linkage, and so on.
Old Sun, Feb-04-2018, 05:52:02 PM   #27
pawa_k2001
Track Junkie

In the garage:

Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
It'll likely range between not impacting the value to slightly adding to it. I wouldn't worry about it hurting the value except for the few people who have to have absolutely original everything.

What would hurt value IMO is taking short cuts. Not wiring in cruise control, not coding it properly, using an RTD-style shifter instead of an OE linkage, and so on.
I actually pulled the wiring from a donor and did a pin-to-pin conversion(clutch switch). Now how will it effect the value if I go with the MK60 swap? I would swap in a 2005-2006 chassis wiring harness, MK60 system and new brake lines. The end goal is OEM style swap. (why? don't know just want to. It will be a ZCP abs module, brakes and steering rack)

Suspension: AST 4100 GTS Suspension, Vorshlag camber plates, Mason front strut bar
Engine: Evolve R Software, Status Gruppe SCZA exhaust
Exterior: Status Gruppe front valance
Brakes: Bimmerworld brake stiffener kit
Wheels: Apex ARC-8 18x9.5" W/ Dunlop Star Spec tires 275/35/18
Jump to top pawa_k2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-04-2018, 09:35:43 PM   #28
mercedesc63

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
I actually pulled the wiring from a donor and did a pin-to-pin conversion(clutch switch). Now how will it effect the value if I go with the MK60 swap? I would swap in a 2005-2006 chassis wiring harness, MK60 system and new brake lines. The end goal is OEM style swap. (why? don't know just want to. It will be a ZCP abs module, brakes and steering rack)

I like the way this thread going finally...

I would say it would’nt have any effect whatsoever in comparison to a trans swap/conversion. I only say that because not that many people even care about the MK60. But to the right buyer it can be worth something because its esentially just a mod.
Jump to top mercedesc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-05-2018, 04:49:31 AM   #29
Blaikenstein

United States

My understanding is that the smg transmission internals are in better condition than a factory manual of the same age so that’s a plus. The downside being the labor and costs of the swap that include wiring and coding. To me it’s more a situation where you do it for your own driving experience and it’ll likely help reselling it later as a 6spd vs smg, that is if your not marking it up just because you paid to have it swapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Blaikenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-11-2018, 10:06:55 PM   #30
deephouse

United States

Smile Re: Smg to 6mt??? Hurt or increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46lsb View Post
Mine was converted. I wouldn’t of bought it if it was an smg. I know I wouldn’t of found mine in factory manual. And the conversion was done by kaiv and it was his personal car.
Same here, Kaiv had done mine 2years ago when my SMG pump went out. Have to say he did a fantastic job, probably better than the dealer. Had a new clutch gone in as well as few parts were replaced while he was at em. For a documentation purpose, he took several pics of the job as it progresses too. Kaiv is amazing! I have 0 issues since then!
Jump to top deephouse is offline   Reply With Quote