BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

View Poll Results: What is your 4.0L V8's oil consumption rate?
My E9x M3 V8 engine burns 1-liter of oil every 5,000+ miles 112 53.85%
My E9x M3 V8 engine burns 1-liter of oil every 4,000 miles 31 14.90%
My E9x M3 V8 engine burns 1-liter of oil every 3,000 miles 33 15.87%
My E9x M3 V8 engine burns 1-liter of oil every 2,000 miles 11 5.29%
My E9x M3 V8 engine burns 1-liter of oil every 1,000 miles 21 10.10%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old Fri, Mar-02-2012, 05:37:29 AM   #61
PedalOnTheRight

United States

Default Re: Post your ENGINE OIL CONSUMPTION RATE here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Isn't piston speed the real variable? Don't have engine dimensions handy, but a long-stroke piston could be travelling at the same speed at 7K rpm as a short-stroke one at 8,400 rpm, no? Both should generate the same amount of heat, correct? Furthermore, with an appropriate cooling system that shouldn't be an issue anyway. And hey, motorcycles rev to the moon compared to the S65 engine, and mine have never burned any oil.

Having said that, what you said actually makes sense, even if I don't know why. Maybe the S65 has forged pistons that behave differently, or titanium connecting rods, etc. I don't believe our engines even have the former, but as long as oil consumption is not over the top, I don't have an issue with that. Heck, even my 2 new Hondas consume oil too, something that never happened to me before with any new car. My guess is sloppy quality and/or looser tolerances for cheaper costs, but could be wrong. Thanks a lot for your insight buddy .
Piston speed is certainly a consideration, but it's only part of the equation regarding oil consumption. Interestingly enough, the S54 inline 6 has a mean piston velocity of 24m/s (up near current Formula 1 engines and sport bikes), whereas the S65 V8 is 21m/s - and it seems less e46 owners have issues with oil consumption. As Cleveland mentioned, heat is the primary enemy when engineers try to ensure everything runs smoothly in all environments - specifically the varying thermal expansion characteristics of different metals. Considering that the meticulous engineers at BMW have won over 25 international engine of the year awards since fuel injection was introduced, I'd be more inclined to point to improper break-in procedures and a lack of adequate engine temperature as leading culprits. Perhaps BMW designers did in fact make an error, I guess time will tell. One liter in 5000 miles is a lot for a new engine.

It would be interesting to compare the consumption rates with S85 owners (M5/M6) as the S65 in the E92 has the same basic architecture.
Jump to top PedalOnTheRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Mar-10-2012, 11:20:53 PM   #62
FatalTundra

United States

Hi, this may not be relevant but my wife and I purchased a used 2011 M3 with approximately 9700 miles about one month ago and on the way home, the oil level light came on. It was one quart low. No problems yet but I did wonder when the last oil change was performed since the light came on.
Jump to top FatalTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-10-2012, 09:29:25 PM   #63
Chester///M

United States

I had the 1200 mile service done a month ago. Recently the add oil message came up. I add a quart of oil. A couple of days later, my car is leaking oil.

I check the filler cap and notice a bunch of oil down the neck and around the cap, clearly indicating the oil is likely coming from there. After a few minutes of trying to get the cap on correctly I notice that the O ring should be seated inside the filler cap rather than loose under the cap.

It dawns on me that the dealer did not properly install the cap when they changed the oil and I simply continued the bad approach when I added oil. The unsealed cap is what likley allowed the oil to spill over.

I wonder if other dealers have done this same thing and that is causing some cars to need oil sooner....I encourage people to check the filler cap to make sure the O ring is seated up inside the cap.

Best,

JP
Jump to top Chester///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-11-2012, 12:29:08 AM   #64
MMME30W
I ♥ Manuel

Germany

Purchased used 2009 E92 MT in Feb with 22k, now at 25k. Noticed very slight drop in oil level, based on the oil display.

So on that, I voted for 5,000+.
Jump to top MMME30W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-12-2012, 04:42:17 PM   #65
mrblue

In the garage:

United States

My 2013 m3 didn't burn any noticeable oil up to the 1200 mile service, but within 200 miles after the service, I had to add a quart. I was on a trip and the only oil available was the one quart of 10-30 Mobile One that I put in the trunk "just in case". I added that at 1400 miles. It now has 3000 miles (1600 since adding the quart) and the indicator is showing down less than a quarter of a quart. I wonder if A) the dealer didn't add the right (10-60) oil. Or B) they top it off properly.
That's the problem with "Genuine BMW Service", you can't stand next to them and watch.
Jump to top mrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-27-2012, 03:39:31 AM   #66
Eau Rouge
No manuel no care.

In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Eau Rouge is a glorious beacon of lightEau Rouge is a glorious beacon of light

United States

During break in: No oil added
Since 1200 mile service, one quart added @ 3.1k miles.
Now, car has 6.1k miles.
Quote:
tenfifteen: We have a bunch of kids who can add but not think, and that's the value of educating kids in the humanities, history, etc.
Teaching what's merely essential/practical for a person to function in society is a sad and low bar to set for educating our kids.
Jump to top Eau Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-14-2013, 01:03:00 AM   #67
M3XTEX

Mexico

How would we know if the dealer did install the proper 10w-60 Oil in there. I am starting to really push the engine at 3000 Miles, and for me this car is a keeper (I know, I say the same thing about every car I own, but at least for now I love this car).
Jump to top M3XTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-15-2013, 02:53:34 AM   #68
MMME30W
I ♥ Manuel

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3XTEX View Post
How would we know if the dealer did install the proper 10w-60 Oil in there. I am starting to really push the engine at 3000 Miles, and for me this car is a keeper (I know, I say the same thing about every car I own, but at least for now I love this car).
Um did you get a receipt / invoice showing the oil used and it's BMW part number?

...Wi not trel a holiday in Sweden this yer? See the loveli lakes. The wonderful telephone system.
And mani interesting furry animals. Including the majestik moose. A moose once bit my sister...
Old Fri, Feb-15-2013, 10:23:52 PM   #69
M3XTEX

Mexico

^I believe I did not get one...They gave me the "free service for three years plan".
I was looking for a more "technical" response, (viscous tests or something), they can put whatever they want on paper.
um?
Jump to top M3XTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-15-2013, 10:36:02 PM   #70
MMME30W
I ♥ Manuel

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3XTEX View Post
^I believe I did not get one...They gave me the "free service for three years plan".
I was looking for a more "technical" response, (viscous tests or something), they can put whatever they want on paper.
um?
Every service I have ever had performed at a BMW dealer involvong warranty service specifies the parts consumed on the service invoice I receive.

For example, "TWS Synthetic Oil part no. 07-51-0-009-420, 9 quarts."

I assumed you were getting your service done at a dealer that provides these reports. Why are you not getting these?

Short of sending an oil sample to an outfit like Blackstone Labs I'm unaware of any home-use oil viscosity testing kits.

...Wi not trel a holiday in Sweden this yer? See the loveli lakes. The wonderful telephone system.
And mani interesting furry animals. Including the majestik moose. A moose once bit my sister...