BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Feb-06-2012, 09:30:50 PM   #1
EmDeeAr

In the garage:

Default So, do I have a shot at this?

Hey guys,

About 5 months ago, I had my headliner redone it black suede. Unfortunately, it was not done to my satisfaction. I told the shop explicitly to call me if any plastic pieces broke, that way we could arrange to get new parts. Well, the workers broke the clips on one of the pillars, using glue to mend it in an attempt to make it attach correctly. They even glued the top of the pillar to the actual suede on the roof board, getting glue on an exposed, visible portion of it. Also, the back part of the roof board is not "attached" to the metal of the roof. The fabric is attached to the headliner board itself, but I can put my hand between the board and the roof. Also, in certain places, the fabric isn't glued up all the way.

So, when I get back home from school, I will be asking for a refund. If they do not comply, I will be taking the issue to civil court. I will not allow them to simply re-do it. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice....

The only thing is that it will cost about $240 to go through the court process. If I win, though, the headliner place will most likely be ordered to refund me the headliner cost AND my court fees.

With all these pictures as evidence, do I have a shot at it? Should I go for it? I'm pretty annoyed about it.

I don't want to discuss how it should have been a DIY or how I should have found a better shop. This is not the issue - I know what went wrong.

Also, for the future - is it possible to order OEM fabric anymore? Can I order the headliner and pillars pre-covered from BMW?

-Michael

Jump to top EmDeeAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Feb-06-2012, 09:58:24 PM   #2
El Stig

United States

Default Re: So, do I have a shot at this?

I'm in a similar situation my-self where a mechanic shop owes me over a Grand of money...and all i have to say it is a headache of a process... (mind you my incident happened a little over a YEAR ago!)

Hopefully you kept all your receipts......Make sure there aren't any writings in the shop or whatever that tell the customer that they aren't responsible for things like this (YOU'D BE SURPRISED TRUST ME). If you had that agreement about the "Call me if you break anything" in writing that will help..because they can be lying and tell the court that it was already like that; some Before and After pictures will help...... Most likely you will win....but it can be a lengthy process. If you win, the court can ONLY tell the company that they owe you the refund +court costs, doesn't mean that they'll pay you back then and their and in full at one time, could take a few months until you get a full refund if you win.

Good Luck.

Good Luck.
Jump to top El Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-06-2012, 10:18:16 PM   #3
EmDeeAr

In the garage:

Thanks for the input man. I do have the receipt for the headliner itself, but nothing in writing about our "agreement". Also, I don't have "before" pictures because, well, I had no reason to take them beforehand. I don't mind waiting for the money, as long as I get it.

-Mike
Old Mon, Feb-06-2012, 11:26:13 PM   #4
TomS2
BS Buster

In the garage:

United States

if the shop offers you 10-15% of the cost take it. The judge is going to look at the work, and ook at how it affects the value of the car. a perfect job vs. the job you are not happpy with will have a minimal effect on the "fair market value" (that's a term of art look it up) of the car. what are your damages? buy the plastic pieces, or dowhat I did with my GTO when the headliner started to sag a month after i got the car (probably my fault because my back was pressing against it very hard when I had my knee in the baby's seat and I was tightening it down) and get the heavy duty velcro with adhesive. put that between the roof and headliner and watch the problems disappear.
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.
Jump to top TomS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-06-2012, 11:49:48 PM   #5
fitchesbass
I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it

United States

Quote:
Also, the back part of the roof board is not "attached" to the metal of the roof. The fabric is attached to the headliner board itself, but I can put my hand between the board and the roof.
You can fix this yourself. Sounds like they didn't properly re-install the headliner board back into the car.

Regardless...seems like a waste of time to take them to court. Just being honest. Your pictures don't tell me anything.

It's an old car and the clips break when you remove pieces. Plus who's to say you didn't break them before they did the headliner... just saying.

How much did you pay for this work?

Prior BMWs:
E36 M3
E86 Z4MC
E92 M3
Jump to top fitchesbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-07-2012, 12:46:07 AM   #6
EmDeeAr

In the garage:

A lot. Like $650. I can assure you I didn't break the clips, as I never even touched the headliner before this. I have the pillar that fell off. I will take pics of it tomorrow. You can see where they globbed on glue to fix it. But - you are right - there is no PROOF that it WASN'T broken beforehand.

I understand that taking it to court may be a lengthy process. I will be visiting them first of course to maybe strike a deal.

As for the headliner board in the back, there is a ridge where it should attach to...but it just doesn't stay. Is that just a result of the board being old? Did they forget to put a piece in? I dunno what they did right and what they did wrong...

At the end of the day, I might have to count my losses and move on from this one. I will go and talk to them regardless. It has been less than 6 months and it is already falling apart.
Old Tue, Feb-07-2012, 03:03:45 AM   #7
EricSMG
40 something

United States

The headliner gets installed back to front. That is, you start with it pushed all the way back against the glass and then slide it forward - this catches the lip. There are no other parts or pieces, just the headliner and the lip in the roof.

I'm doing my headliner as we speak

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-07-2012, 03:50:41 AM   #8
Downtown LA E36

In the garage:

United States

Go buy a handful of 5 cent clips, fix it and move on. Go to Civil Court - really? Life is too short!
3.46 Diff
D Force LT5W Star Specs / Kosei NTO1
Accusump w/ oil cooler
Oil Pan Baffle
VAC Rear Control Arms
AKG Motor / Trans Bushings
Jump to top Downtown LA E36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-07-2012, 04:28:46 AM   #9
EmDeeAr

In the garage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown LA E36 View Post
Go buy a handful of 5 cent clips, fix it and move on. Go to Civil Court - really? Life is too short!
Right I could do this. I need to get a new pillar first, because they broke the other. I think they should at least pay for this, and not charge me to recover it. I could install it myself, though, yes.
Old Tue, Feb-07-2012, 04:31:28 AM   #10
EmDeeAr

In the garage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
The headliner gets installed back to front. That is, you start with it pushed all the way back against the glass and then slide it forward - this catches the lip. There are no other parts or pieces, just the headliner and the lip in the roof.

I'm doing my headliner as we speak
I tried "snapping" mine onto that lip, but it won't stay. It falls off after a day or so. I guess they didn't slide it forward enough or something.