BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Nov-17-2018, 12:13:19 AM   #1
GrendelsbaneM3

United States

Default What coilover would you recommend for carving canyons KW clubsports or TC Kline DA?

Not really interested that much in track days, but I want a coilover that can handle spirited driving in a canyon on road trips without being so harsh that my back will kill me from daily driving the car.

Given the customer support statements here and the ability to chose the springs, I am leaning towards the TCK, but before plunking down my hard earned money, I wonder if I am missing something about the KW's. It looks like KW clubs have absolutely no warranty.
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Zionsville Competition Cooling Kit with Offset Fan / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune / ESS 575 Supercharger

Jump to top GrendelsbaneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Nov-17-2018, 01:29:03 AM   #2
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: What coilover would you recommend for carving canyons KW clubsports or TC Kline D

Between those two, TCK
Old Sat, Nov-17-2018, 02:50:07 AM   #3
chsbmw

United States

Default Re: What coilover would you recommend for carving canyons KW clubsports or TC Kline D

Do it once, do it right. MCS singles. Had GC track/school on my E36 (comparable to TCK) and while the handling was great, the compliance wasn’t there. When I bought the E46, I held off until I could pull the trigger on the MCS’. At 9 clicks rear, 7 front, it rides more “comfy” and it is on rails with no squeaks, rattles or clunks. Not to mention my OCD is in check w the click-type rebound adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top chsbmw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-17-2018, 04:30:16 AM   #4
GrendelsbaneM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsbmw View Post
Do it once, do it right. MCS singles. Had GC track/school on my E36 (comparable to TCK) and while the handling was great, the compliance wasn’t there. When I bought the E46, I held off until I could pull the trigger on the MCS’. At 9 clicks rear, 7 front, it rides more “comfy” and it is on rails with no squeaks, rattles or clunks. Not to mention my OCD is in check w the click-type rebound adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MCS is no doubt a great choice, but I can't justify the $$$. The TCK and KW's are pretty much the top end of what I want to spend on suspension.
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Zionsville Competition Cooling Kit with Offset Fan / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune / ESS 575 Supercharger

Jump to top GrendelsbaneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-17-2018, 05:26:33 AM   #5
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelsbaneM3 View Post
MCS is no doubt a great choice, but I can't justify the $$$. The TCK and KW's are pretty much the top end of what I want to spend on suspension.
Ohlins then?
Old Sat, Nov-17-2018, 06:13:29 AM   #6
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

I have KW Clubsports on my E36, they are a bit on the harsh side but everyone's got their own definition of "harsh." Adjustable top mounts are nice. Overall build quality is nice. I don't recall the warranty situation but I know they offer rebuild services, and if you don't like the spring rate you could always put a Swift spring of your choosing on there.
Old Sat, Nov-17-2018, 06:26:20 AM   #7
usdmej

United States

if you're just doing spirited canyon carving tbh just go with KWV2s or KWV3s. canyon roads (and the roads to get to them) aren't perfect so you'd benefit from the better street comfort they'd provide.
Old Sat, Nov-17-2018, 02:08:24 PM   #8
EricSMG
40 something

United States

A bone stock E46 M3 with PSS/PS4 tires in good working order is a killer canyon car. Add a little more front camber and it's darn near perfect. It will go faster than you have the balls to push. You don't need coil-overs for this.

You want coil-overs, which I totally get. Of those choices I'd go TCK DA, but know that this will force you into camber plates.

Edit - your current setup is probably a good step down from stock in terms of true handling, so your reference point may be skewed. A 1"+ front drop on soft spring without any bump-travel restored is simply not going to result in good handling over anything but the smoothest road.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG

Last edited by EricSMG; Sat, Nov-17-2018 at 03:16:25 PM.
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-17-2018, 02:50:20 PM   #9
twentyseven
@itsmejonnyv

United States

Can’t speak to the Clubsports but I have KW v3 on one of my cars, they are better than I expected (v2’s are a big step down) and very comfortable, but I’ve had four different M’s with TCK DA and they get my vote all the way. No complaints about v3’s though, if I DD the car these would probably be my choice however the linear spring rate setup of TCK ticks the canyon carving box much better without sacrificing the comfort.

MCS aren’t worth it. If you don’t want to get camber plates, Ohlins are awesome just aren’t as comfortable. Bilstein PSS10 get an honorable mention (best bang for the buck).

'04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///M3 SMG coupe
V-CSL, BBS CH, Öhlins R&T, Supersprint, Brembo GT, custom Z4M seats, AVIN, G5R projector swap

'06 Jet Black + Black ///M3 SMG coupe
100% Stock. 48k mi ***FOR SALE***

'06 Alpine White + Cinnamon ///M3 ZCP 6MT coupe
Built motor by ACE performance, VF Stage 3, (610whp@16psi), KW V3

Last edited by twentyseven; Sat, Nov-17-2018 at 02:54:49 PM.
Jump to top twentyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-17-2018, 03:17:42 PM   #10
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyseven View Post
Can’t speak to the Clubsports but I have KW v3 on one of my cars, they are better than I expected (v2’s are a big step down) and very comfortable, but I’ve had four different M’s with TCK DA and they get my vote all the way. No complaints about v3’s though, if I DD the car these would probably be my choice however the linear spring rate setup of TCK ticks the canyon carving box much better without sacrificing the comfort.

MCS aren’t worth it. If you don’t want to get camber plates, Ohlins are awesome just aren’t as comfortable. Bilstein PSS10 get an honorable mention (best bang for the buck).
Good (and surprising) input on the V3s. You would say they're less aggressive than the RT? Do you think the V3 will let you run near-ish stock ride height, say .5/.75" front drop?

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote