BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jul-28-2016, 02:54:16 PM   #31
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Best BBK for E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I've actually only experienced the pad knockback on the ST-60s, not the ST-40s. But there I was able to induce it on full thickness street pads without trying... and it was terrifying (didn't expect it). Awful to the extent that I stopped driving the car hard because I didn't find it enjoyable anymore.

My issues with the stoptech street performance are...

pedal feel isn't awesome

initial bite isn't awesome

in the rain they wash out faster than any other pad I've experienced (this is the main one for me)

in the winter, all the above are exacerbated

pad deposits if you drive slowly(never been an issue for me, but my parents ran into this)

Ok. Makes sense because I know there was an issue with the ST60s and pad fitment which may be your issue. Frankly...that's a little scary. Not sure if that contributed to the issue though.

I do agree that the bite isn't the ST street pad's strong point. They can take light track use, a little more than OE. And once you overheat them, just toss them in the trash.

You can find street pads for the ST40...anything from an older Porsche. The ST60 is a bit more challenging. I think the ST60 pads are the same as one of the AP calipers.

On my E90 M3 with the ST60, I'd either do the Stoptech ST40/355 front kit or go with a PFC BBK. The ST60 kit has none of the advantages that the ST40 has over its competitors. Pads are expensive and hard to find, rotors are too large in dia so finding 18" wheels that fit is a pain, and pad changes are a minor wh0re.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jul-31-2016, 05:56:53 PM   #32
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Can anyone comment on the drivability of the PFC Z45 calipers on the street (daily use), perhaps in comparison to AP, Brembo?

It looks like AP has the anti-knockback springs, and the PFC don't..?

Last edited by BTB; Sun, Jul-31-2016 at 06:01:20 PM.
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-31-2016, 08:24:22 PM   #33
DiXiS 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB View Post
Can anyone comment on the drivability of the PFC Z45 calipers on the street (daily use), perhaps in comparison to AP, Brembo?

I can't speak in comparison to the others as I don't have enough experience with the others but I haven't had any negatives about the PFC calipers besides the finish on them not lasting more then 1 track session.

The PFC's don't come with anti-knockback springs but they can be ordered separately and added. I've known someone to do this. I never bothered with mine as I don't have/feel any knockback.

And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win.
-Ayrton Senna
Jump to top DiXiS 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-31-2016, 09:24:10 PM   #34
nickpiper12

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

No need for anti-knockback springs with the PFC's, never had an issue.

You're welcome to drive my car around one day at Alex's shop and feel how they are on the street.
Jump to top nickpiper12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-31-2016, 09:41:57 PM   #35
bjz

In the garage:

Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
If I might add, also look at the pad change procedure and pad selection available.
Having a BBK with easy pad change operation is a real advantage when it comes to switching between track and street pads.
I'll let the BBK-educated people chime in as I don't know much about all this, but I'm really happy with my AP-Racing system.
AP Racing is TOP.
Jump to top bjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-31-2016, 09:54:02 PM   #36
SYT_Shadow
Piraña Powered

Spain

Quote:

The PFC kit can be used on the street just fine, but it is not meant for the street. The only issue that's annoying is you hear some pad slap.

I do not know if they come with anti knockback springs, however, how they come from the factory requires absolutely no modifications to have zero knockback.

I've had my E92 kit which is custom MonteCarlo Blue to match my car for two seasons. It always has brake dust and crap on it and whenever I get around to wiping them clean they look 100% perfect
Jump to top SYT_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-31-2016, 10:11:04 PM   #37
stogybear

Armenia

How bad of an idea would it be to run the porsche 996 brakes on track? They're brembos but are they watered down production car brakes or similar to what you'd get from brembo directly?

Anyone have first hand experience?

2005 AW M3 - 6MT - Bay Area
Jump to top stogybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-31-2016, 10:34:16 PM   #38
SYT_Shadow
Piraña Powered

Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taron View Post
How bad of an idea would it be to run the porsche 996 brakes on track? They're brembos but are they watered down production car brakes or similar to what you'd get from brembo directly?

A member here, P0lar, used to build bbks for E46Ms based on Pcar brakes. Not 100% sure of which he was using but he said they were good quality
Jump to top SYT_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-01-2016, 12:18:02 AM   #39
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiXiS 18 View Post
I can't speak in comparison to the others as I don't have enough experience with the others but I haven't had any negatives about the PFC calipers besides the finish on them not lasting more then 1 track session.

The PFC's don't come with anti-knockback springs but they can be ordered separately and added. I've known someone to do this. I never bothered with mine as I don't have/feel any knockback.
Good to know, thanks. Is the finish really that bad? That surprises me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpiper12 View Post
No need for anti-knockback springs with the PFC's, never had an issue.

You're welcome to drive my car around one day at Alex's shop and feel how they are on the street.
That would be sweet, I'm sure they would meet/greatly exceed my expectations. Not sure when I'll be over there but hopefully this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
The PFC kit can be used on the street just fine, but it is not meant for the street. The only issue that's annoying is you hear some pad slap.

I do not know if they come with anti knockback springs, however, how they come from the factory requires absolutely no modifications to have zero knockback.

I've had my E92 kit which is custom MonteCarlo Blue to match my car for two seasons. It always has brake dust and crap on it and whenever I get around to wiping them clean they look 100% perfect
Nice, I would be both surprised and very disappointed to find the finish fading/wearing down after only a season or two of track driving (especially if only a few times a year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taron View Post

I vaguely remember reading that the 986/996 brakes have the same brake balance as the e46 m, so it worked well or something? Not sure if that even makes sense or not; then again I'd be surprised if a rear engined car (40:60 weight) had the same bias as a front engined (50:50) one...
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-01-2016, 12:46:17 AM   #40
DiXiS 18

SYT has a different experience but mine was ruined after one 20 minute session. The calipers were sent back to PFC and redone and the exact same thing happened first session again. So 2 times for me and same result.

And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win.
-Ayrton Senna
Jump to top DiXiS 18 is offline   Reply With Quote