BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Jul-19-2018, 12:04:16 AM   #1
jinnedow

United States

Default drivers side window doesn't work (1995)

Hey I've had this problem for quite some time now but I'm curious to see what the fellows on the forums had to say. My problem is that my drivers side window does not roll down or up anymore. I have checked all fuses and that's not the problem. I am also unsure if it is a relay because my passenger side window and sunroof still work. I know that the switch is not the problem because I've switched them out before with no luck. I have also put in a new window motor to find that the motor was not the problem. So at this point any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
Jump to top jinnedow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jul-19-2018, 01:29:07 AM   #2
NolliM3

United States

Default Re: drivers side window doesn't work (1995)

It's most likely the bushing...number 5 here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_2055

1995 Alpine White...X-Brace, Fan delete, Cold Air Intake
Jump to top NolliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-19-2018, 08:06:10 PM   #3
roadmax05

Any more details how does this bushing cause the issue, any pictures showing where is exactly located?
I have similar problem with passenger's side window, when pressing window switch I can only hear a short click but window does not move.
Removed the motor from the mount twice, did not see any broken parts, was looking if round magnet has moved (as per some old threads) but it appears to be bonded and does not move, both times after mounting everything back it worked for a week and got stuck again in closed window position.
Jump to top roadmax05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-19-2018, 10:10:55 PM   #4
NolliM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmax05 View Post
Any more details how does this bushing cause the issue, any pictures showing where is exactly located?
I have similar problem with passenger's side window, when pressing window switch I can only hear a short click but window does not move.
Removed the motor from the mount twice, did not see any broken parts, was looking if round magnet has moved (as per some old threads) but it appears to be bonded and does not move, both times after mounting everything back it worked for a week and got stuck again in closed window position.
I have the same exact issue as you...if you removed your motor, you should have seen the bushing. I have not done mine yet; however, here's a pic with a spare motor and a new bushing (my motor was good when I removed the bolt) so I bought the bushing...I didn't remove the motor though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 5.03.46 PM.jpg (127.1 KB, 9 views)

Old Thu, Jul-19-2018, 10:16:34 PM   #5
roadmax05

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolliM3 View Post
I have the same exact issue as you...if you removed your motor, you should have seen the bushing. I have not done mine yet; however, here's a pic with a spare motor and a new bushing (my motor was good when I removed the bolt) so I bought the bushing...I didn't remove the motor though.
The difference is that I removed the motor (metal part only) from that plastic covered part (gear part) by removing the 4 screws.
Jump to top roadmax05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-20-2018, 05:08:39 AM   #6
NolliM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmax05 View Post
The difference is that I removed the motor (metal part only) from that plastic covered part (gear part) by removing the 4 screws.
You should understand that the motor is the entire unit (metal and plastic).

Old Sun, Jul-22-2018, 05:06:23 PM   #7
jinnedow

United States

I am just a little confused as to how the bushing plays a role in moving the window up and down.
Quote:
You should understand that the motor is the entire unit (metal and plastic).
Old Sun, Jul-22-2018, 08:57:51 PM   #8
NolliM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinnedow View Post
I am just a little confused as to how the bushing plays a role in moving the window up and down.
So, if the motor turns to move the window up and down, as well as, the bushing sits over the end of the motor and into the window support bracket that helps the window to go up and down, you should now have an image in mind. You will need to consult your Bentley or wait for someone more knowledgeable to respond and explain more.

Old Sun, Jul-22-2018, 10:20:07 PM   #9
jinnedow

United States

Quote:
So, if the motor turns to move the window up and down, as well as, the bushing sits over the end of the motor and into the window support bracket that helps the window to go up and down, you should now have an image in mind. You will need to consult your Bentley or wait for someone more knowledgeable to respond and explain more.
Interesting. I'm not too sure but I feel like this would apply more to me if I heard somewhat of a noise coming from the motor. In my case I don't hear any noise at all making me believe it has something to do with the wiring.
Old Mon, Jul-23-2018, 01:48:29 AM   #10
NolliM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinnedow View Post
Interesting. I'm not too sure but I feel like this would apply more to me if I heard somewhat of a noise coming from the motor. In my case I don't hear any noise at all making me believe it has something to do with the wiring.
If you think it's your wiring, get your multi-tester and start checking for continuity. Here's a video that shed light on the bushing and how it works in the regulator.