BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 04:28:26 PM   #1
Mindart

In the garage:

United States

Default Passenger side motor mount....

Hey guys.... I read the DIY on this and sounds very easy. So I went to knock it out last night

I knew going into it i'd likely have issues with the passenger side... and of course i did couldn't get the motor high enough or at least I didn't want to force it.

Drivers side was a snap. Since i was short on time I just stopped and I am going to go to finish the job tomorrow and borrow a fan wrench from a buddy to take it off, but honestly I am not sure that's going to allow me to get the motor any higher as the manifold ( I have a m50 on my S52 motor) is hitting the wiring loom near the firewall and I doubt will go much higher.

Am I doing something wrong with the position of the jack under the oil pan? or am i really going to have to take off the engine mount bracket to get this job done.

Seems like for some they have no issues and others the passenger side can be more of a hassle... i don't get it

thanks!
Jump to top Mindart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 05:23:23 PM   #2
haus
So anal, my torque wrench has a torque wrench up its ****

United States

Default Re: Passenger side motor mount....

My notes say I had to loosen/remove the bolts that hold the mount bracket to the motor even after removing the fan, fuel rail plastic cover, etc. Others may have different advice...
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 05:26:14 PM   #3
pbonsalb

It helps to have both loose to allow movement to change 1. I have sometimes loosened or even removed the mount arm, depending on the mount I am installing. Some aftermarket ones have long studs, which require more lifting to clear. Another option is to use an engine brace up top and lower the subframe. This can affect suspension alignment.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 05:50:58 PM   #4
Mindart

In the garage:

United States

guess i'll be taking the fan off AND loosening the a cast aluminium bracket.

I don't have the engine brace... and since the other new mount is in on the drivers side and in place I am not really worried about the engine falling on me

I still don't get why some guys have a problem while others don't... there must be some sweet spot from underneath that doesn't allow the motor to tilt so it lifts evenly....

oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
It helps to have both loose to allow movement to change 1. I have sometimes loosened or even removed the mount arm, depending on the mount I am installing. Some aftermarket ones have long studs, which require more lifting to clear. Another option is to use an engine brace up top and lower the subframe. This can affect suspension alignment.
Jump to top Mindart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 06:37:53 PM   #5
pbonsalb

Engine brace helpful or needed only if lowering the subframe although you could creatively use a floor jack and a prop or a carefully support the oil pan with wood to spread load. If you keep engine level and lower subframe no need to mess with fan.
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 09:31:12 PM   #6
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

just support the engine with jack on the oil pan (With a block of wood). undo the 4 bolts holding the arm to the block. undo the motor mount from the subframe and remove both together. Replace and reinstall reverse order. If you're trying to lift the motor of the mount you're going to have a hard time and put a lot of stress on the oil pan trying to get it high enough.

Side note: dropping the subframe will not change the alignment. Has nothing to do with alignment and can only go back into the exact same place. This is another way to do it if you had a support bar or hoist but is WAY more work than necessary.
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 11:34:30 PM   #7
pbonsalb

You don’t have to drop the subframe. Just lowering it on its bolts usually gives enough clearance combined with a little hacking of the motor. Since alignment is extremely precise, it can change whenever a subframe is loosened. Yes, there are guides for the frame, but I think you can still alter the alignment when you raise it back up.

Do whatever seems easiest for the tools you have.
Old Fri, Jul-13-2018, 11:46:34 PM   #8
Braymond141

United States

Just jack it up till there is space. That's how everyone does it.
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-14-2018, 04:48:45 AM   #9
humarahumara

United States

OP, what you're going through is not uncommon in e36's and e46's. What I would do is have the drivers side motor mount loosely bolted and jack up from the oil pan. As the motor rises, there should be enough tilt (now that the drivers side is loosely tacked down) to get the passenger mount off. Take off the fan clutch as well. No need for the wiring loom in the back. Good luck!
Jump to top humarahumara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-14-2018, 06:20:10 AM   #10
tofunin

United States

I've undone the wire loom and removed the cabin vent intake piece which is 2 6 or 7mm bolts on the side. Be sure to note on how the bottom vent piece sits on a V ledge when you reinstall the piece.
Jump to top tofunin is offline   Reply With Quote