BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sun, May-20-2018, 01:40:31 AM   #1
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Default New to E36 - Any maintenance advice?

Hello friends,

I recently "rescued" a 1995 318i. This is an old car, it cost me $1,000, and it has 240,000 miles on the clock. I expected to fix its big issues [runs pretty darn good but won't idle - chokes and gasps and cuts out // the rear suspension is hilariously bad // atrocious brakes // exhaust is louder than my M3 and wants to poison the driver with CO] and then sell it (I didn't plan on getting the car, but I know that if I didn't take it and fix it, it'll never get fixed and it'll be hauled off for scrap when the next owner gets his or her 5,000 miles out of it).

So: I'd like to learn a thing or two on it (I'm not a very experienced mechanic, but I know I can do all the stuff this car needs), and I'd like to give it to a family I know who will probably use it for a few years. Anyway, this kind of stuff gives me warm and fuzzies

I want to share my list. Then, could you please reply with any other items these E36s/M42s could probably use really badly when they've got 240,000 miles? *Any parts of cleaning/maint procedures*? The only thing I know is that it has a new clutch. It also needs some interior components, but I'll worry about those once I get the mechanics in order, haha. I am NOT an aesthetics guy.

Hood hydraulics - $10.29

Valve cover gasket - $15.80

Spark plugs +
Plug wires - $169

Air filter - $11.62

Intake boot – one intake, to output - $22.50

Rotors and pads: $99

Rear shocks struts- $134

Headlight Restoration chems - $14.95

Both fog lights - $32.95

Exhaust/Muffler - $223

*THANK YOU*

- DGN

2006 E46 M3, 6MT, Convertible, Black/Black - 72k miles
60k mile Service II, Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune, Schrick CSL Cam, Active Autowerke Catless Headers, Section 1 High-flow cats & Section 3.
Jump to top TheDoogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, May-20-2018, 03:42:33 AM   #2
hakentt-mss54

United States

Default Re: New to E36 - Any maintenance advice?

why did you post questions about 318i in M forum? Looks like you got it all figured out, fog lights are priority for sure
Jump to top hakentt-mss54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-20-2018, 04:18:49 AM   #3
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Well, Iím assuming the E36 chassis is pretty uniform? I know a lot of my old 330CI maint items carried over to my M3.

Plus, I prefer OCD M-car standards to whatever Ďbare minimumí 318 people would suggest. Plus, what the hell kind of e3) 318 owner is going to still be active on a forum? Thatís why I ask you veterans.

Haha, re:fog lights. They are both smashed out, so I want to replace them.

60k mile Service II, Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune, Schrick CSL Cam, Active Autowerke Catless Headers, Section 1 High-flow cats & Section 3.
Old Sun, May-20-2018, 01:55:32 PM   #4
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

welcome to the e36 world. I don't know much about the maintenance on those engines but probably just gaskets, filters and rubber hoses etc. Might have to look into the cooling system as i'm sure that was a problem across the whole lineup. As for everything else... with those miles every single bushing under the car will be completely destroyed or disintegrating. They will all need to be replaced or you'll suffer alignment issues and knocking of suspension etc. these bushings include,
Inner and outer tie rods
Lower control arm bushings
Inner and outer ball joints
Rear subframe bushings (with reinforcement plates)
rear upper control arm bushings
rear upper and lower bushings (in the trailing arm)
rear trailing arm bushings (with reinforcement plates)
differential bushings.
shocks and struts with new mounts (reinforcement plates for rear)
Sway bar links front and rear
wheel bearings front and rear

Then you have other perishable items such as
motor and trans mounts
exhaust hangers
drive shaft flex disk
drive shaft center support bearing
shifter linkage bushings

Then you have fluids that should be changed
engine oil
coolant
power steering (and fix most likely leaking lines)
trans fluid
diff fluid
brake fluid

Of course if you're just looking to flip the car then you won't want to do everything. My list doesn't even include everything an e36 could need. Just find and replace whats totally trashed. If you're going down the rabbit hole, just realize you won't get your money or time back.

And finally! This thread is worthless without pics
Old Sun, May-20-2018, 03:03:47 PM   #5
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Brilliant. Thank you!

Okay, I'll look up picture locations of all those bushings, and I'll check them all. Just by driving it, around long sweeping corners and hitting small imperfections in the road, you can tell that they certainly are rough.

You're right about not getting time or money back: that's okay. Business is slow, and I need a project, and I'll be donating the car anyway (and the family will be hauling their kids around with it, one of whom is my God-daughter), so I have a lot of flexibility on throwing away some cash and time.

Still: I will only replace the stuff that is definitely at the end (or long past) its service life. After I clear this car out, I want to find an old E30 vert. Mmmmmmmm.

Hey: thank you very much. This is actually exactly what I was looking for. (I'd planned on all the fluids, but I'll be having my garage do all that: I don't have the facilities to ensure no spills, and I still have oil in jugs lying around from my old Land Rover project.

Old Sun, May-20-2018, 03:05:25 PM   #6
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Pictures? Ehh..... don't laugh.....

Old Sun, May-20-2018, 05:55:43 PM   #7
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Looks worthy of saving to me. Realoem.com will be your saving grace for part numbers. Make sure you use good bushings like lemforder or meyle. Good luck and start a build thread as you go
Old Mon, May-21-2018, 12:17:03 AM   #8
bhennrich

In the garage:

United States

For safety sake make sure to polish up the headlights so someone can actually see at night!
Jump to top bhennrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-21-2018, 01:42:13 AM   #9
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhennrich View Post
For safety sake make sure to polish up the headlights so someone can actually see at night!
Indeed- I've ordered some of the 3M specific-purpose stuff. We'll see

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
Looks worthy of saving to me. Realoem.com will be your saving grace for part numbers. Make sure you use good bushings like lemforder or meyle. Good luck and start a build thread as you go
Yes, I will, thank you; and thank you for the link. I'm sure I'll use it a lot.

Today I got it up on jack stands and set up with wooden blocks as a redundancy, removed the wheels (broke 3 reducers and an extension before going and buying a man's 1/2" breaker bar and socket), removed the rear-half of the exhaust, removed the brake calibers, and the front two caliber ... holder... things. Ran out of daylight, and didn't get much time today (young kinds, Mass, etc).

Parts won't arrive for a week, but I'll keep tinkering

The bushings I've seen so far are miserably corrupt. And the brake pads were non-existent on the back. I can't believe people can sleep at night with their cars in this condition.

Thanks again, my friend.

Old Mon, May-21-2018, 01:43:11 AM   #10
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Also, I just saw 'the mitten'. Ha! I'm in Michigan, too. West coast.