BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 03:27:01 PM   #11
e46IX

Canada

Default Re: AKG Shifter vs RTD Shifter

Is RTD a worthwhile upgrade from someone who has an Autosolutions 30%?
Jump to top e46IX is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 03:53:22 PM   #12
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Skip the RTD shifter and get the real deal CAE shifter.

My local raceshop who specializes in Spec-E46 Racing and E46 M3 Racing has a ton of track experience with both. Here is what he had to say about the RTD in comparison to the CAE shifter when asked about the difference between the two:
Quote:
Big difference. The RTD is thinner, not fully welded, it flexes. The tolerances are looser, leading to more flex. The hardware is cheaper, one e-clip just came off while driving. The main nut that holds it all together kept loosening up, had to tighten it every session. Etc etc etc.
I've seen the both up close and personal, they are NOT the same and the quality is NOT the same at all. Apparently RTD had to revise their latest variation of shifters due to a law-suit from CAE (from what I am told). I'm not sure if they are still making the lockout version or not, or if they had to cease and desist (I see them still listed for sale). Buying an RTD shifter without the adjustable gear set point pin stops or without the gear lock-out ability pretty much deletes the point of the shifter. Having messed around with both shifters, side by side, in a Spec-E46 race car, other then them looking nearly identical, I wasn't impressed with the RTD shifter.

The owner of the company even reached out to me after reading a brief review I gave from both myself and the race-shop, and he told both of us that he would be sending us out their 'latest' product to test and review free of charge due to our negative feedback/experience. a couple months later and the owner won't even reply to my messages. Don't buy a cheap knock-off. Get the real thing (CAE) or get a different shifter. They might look the same -- but after seeing multiple, they are not. Just read the description alone, on both of their websites, RTD even plagiarized that nearly word-for-word from CAE. Don't give waste your money on a subpar part. Don't encourage business practices like this. Buy a CAE if that's the style shifter you want. It's fantastic. It's pricey for a reason but you get what you pay for.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Thu, Dec-07-2017 at 04:03:47 PM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 04:18:22 PM   #13
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Yeah... I need to get me a CAE
Jump to top BTB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 04:23:16 PM   #14
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

The non-lockout version I'm very pleased with. No issues with the main nut holding the spring, the centering allen bolt which adjusts the 3-4 gate, and it just needed some blue loctite on the top allen bolt which holds the delrin shift knob in place.

The bottom plate had a slightly bent corner, but the rest of the welds looked great. I haven't noticed any flex in the shifter assembly. Again this is all on a track car.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 04:39:33 PM   #15
Turb02

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
RTD will have a Christmas sale soon, fwiw.
Any solid date on this? Ive been asking them for almost a month and nothings come out yet.

Active Autowerke Stage 2-AA Headers-Meisterschaft-Vorsteiner-Brembo-BBS-CSL
Jump to top Turb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 04:48:21 PM   #16
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
The non-lockout version I'm very pleased with. No issues with the main nut holding the spring, the centering allen bolt which adjusts the 3-4 gate, and it just needed some blue loctite on the top allen bolt which holds the delrin shift knob in place.

The bottom plate had a slightly bent corner, but the rest of the welds looked great. I haven't noticed any flex in the shifter assembly. Again this is all on a track car.
For what its worth, the cars that I have seen both the CAE and RTD shifters on (comparing back to back) were ALL (many multiple) competitive track only spec race cars.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 05:10:09 PM   #17
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
For what its worth, the cars that I have seen both the CAE and RTD shifters on (comparing back to back) were ALL (many multiple) competitive track only spec race cars.
Yep, just throwing out my experience with the RTD. FWIW I got it summer '17 so they might have changed the design since he tested them.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 05:29:48 PM   #18
SQ13

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb02 View Post
Any solid date on this? Ive been asking them for almost a month and nothings come out yet.
Nope. There will be hell toupée if it doesn't happen.
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 05:29:49 PM   #19
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

AKG would easily get my vote

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R
Jump to top BearDeXPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-07-2017, 05:35:58 PM   #20
Fhcrubarb

United States

I have a late 2016 (received January of 2017) RTD shifter, race height non-lockout on my track car and I love it. There is a little bit of play in the tolerances but for half the price of the CAE I'm not complaining. I've never shifted an AKG or CAE to know any different.
Jump to top Fhcrubarb is offline   Reply With Quote