BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sun, Nov-19-2017, 04:36:12 AM   #111
bimmerdriver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,353
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 bimmerdriver is on a distinguished road
Location: Metro Vancouver

Canada




Default Re: DIY: E46 M3 (S54) detailed valve adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
Question - I have observed others, and was taught myself, to turn the motor by using a wrench on the camshafts rather than the front fan nut. See here, between cylinders 1 and 2, where the camshafts are not round:





I have not seen online anyone else do this... I am wondering if I was taught incorrectly or if this is an acceptable method, as it saves from having to remove any of the fan components.
I would not do this, nor would I advise anyone to do this. the timing chain and tensioners were designed for the load to be driven from the crankshaft, not the camshaft. maybe it's not a big deal, but I would just stick with that, since you also have to align to TDC using the damper anyway.
__________________
2002 (12/2001) M3 6MT Coupe Carbon Black on Black - ZCP/CSL Wheels, 245/35/19 Mich PS2 & 285/30/19 Conti ExtremeContact DW, H&R 15 mm Front Spacers, CSL F/R Brakes, EBC Redstuff, TMS SS F/R Brake Lines, PSS9, TMS F/R Sway Bars, TMS Rear Control Arms, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, TMS/Carbonio Intake, Eisenmann Exhaust, AutoSolutions 30% SSK, BMW Illuminated Shift Knob, BMW Performance Pedals, BMW Performance 4.10 R&P, CDV Delete, Flossmann GTR Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk, Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser, Euro Front Signal Lights, Euro Rear Tail Lights, Angel Eyes, Homelink

1997 328is 5MT Coupe Madeira Violet on Black - Staggered M Forged Double Spoke Wheels, Bilstein Sport, H&R Sport, M Tech Rear Spoiler (Sold)
Jump to top bimmerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Dec-02-2017, 10:35:25 PM   #112
M3_Pilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 562
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 M3_Pilot is on a distinguished road
Location: OC

United States




Default Re: DIY: E46 M3 (S54) detailed valve adjustment

Two part question: would it be optimal to reset the ecu so it could adjust the vanos and timing to the new clearances? If so, how could I do that? Currently researching but any tips would be appreciated!
__________________


2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
Jump to top M3_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-03-2017, 12:39:34 AM   #113
mrgizmo04
Registered User
 
mrgizmo04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,356
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 mrgizmo04 is on a distinguished road
Location: Menlo Park

United States




Default Re: DIY: E46 M3 (S54) detailed valve adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Pilot View Post
Two part question: would it be optimal to reset the ecu so it could adjust the vanos and timing to the new clearances? If so, how could I do that? Currently researching but any tips would be appreciated!
That's an interesting one. I've never come across a reset required since it operates within a certain tolerance of shim thickness and few thousands of an inch shim thickness change probably won't make a diff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
'85 528e 164k miles (sold)
'05 M3 6MT coupe

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-03-2017, 12:45:39 AM   #114
M3_Pilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 562
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 M3_Pilot is on a distinguished road
Location: OC

United States




Default Re: DIY: E46 M3 (S54) detailed valve adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
That's an interesting one. I've never come across a reset required since it operates within a certain tolerance of shim thickness and few thousands of an inch shim thickness change probably won't make a diff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yes, I see what you're saying. But that difference is also enough for us to have to make an adjustment. I suppose the ecu is also constantly adapting so it would adjust accordingly if necessary.
__________________


2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
Jump to top M3_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-03-2017, 10:22:03 AM   #115
ThunderMoose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,421
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 ThunderMoose is on a distinguished road
Location: League City

United States




Default Re: DIY: E46 M3 (S54) detailed valve adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Pilot View Post
Yes, I see what you're saying. But that difference is also enough for us to have to make an adjustment. I suppose the ecu is also constantly adapting so it would adjust accordingly if necessary.


I don't see how the shims (within tolerance) have any effect on timing. The engine certainly doesn't know since it gets all of its information off the camshaft sensors which should not be impacted at all by valve clearance.
__________________


#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-05-2017, 02:27:10 AM   #116
M3_Pilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 562
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 M3_Pilot is on a distinguished road
Location: OC

United States




Default Re: DIY: E46 M3 (S54) detailed valve adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I don't see how the shims (within tolerance) have any effect on timing. The engine certainly doesn't know since it gets all of its information off the camshaft sensors which should not be impacted at all by valve clearance.
Yeah that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.
__________________


2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
Jump to top M3_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-05-2018, 02:54:25 PM   #117
den_bart
Registered User
 
den_bart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Age: 24
Posts: 131
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 den_bart is on a distinguished road
Location: Sacramento

United States




Default Re: DIY: E46 M3 (S54) detailed valve adjustment

Are the specific cam lobes suppose to be facing up when taking off a specific shim?

Step 45 states to "Turn the 1/2" drive ratchet on the crankshaft bolt clockwise. You'll notice that the camshafts will begin to rotate. Keep rotating the camshafts until the first pair of cam lobes of any cylinder, exhaust or intake side, are pointing directly vertical. The smaller section of the cam lobe needs to be pointing directly vertical to the plane of the valve train."

It just says to have any of the cam lobes to be pointing up. But does the cam lobe that's facing up; is that referenced to the one that your changing the shim from?

Last edited by den_bart; Fri, Jan-05-2018 at 02:57:48 PM.
Jump to top den_bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-05-2018, 03:10:19 PM   #118
mrgizmo04
Registered User
 
mrgizmo04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,356
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 mrgizmo04 is on a distinguished road
Location: Menlo Park

United States




Default Re: DIY: E46 M3 (S54) detailed valve adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by den_bart View Post
Are the specific cam lobes suppose to be facing up when taking off a specific shim?

Step 45 states to "Turn the 1/2" drive ratchet on the crankshaft bolt clockwise. You'll notice that the camshafts will begin to rotate. Keep rotating the camshafts until the first pair of cam lobes of any cylinder, exhaust or intake side, are pointing directly vertical. The smaller section of the cam lobe needs to be pointing directly vertical to the plane of the valve train."

It just says to have any of the cam lobes to be pointing up. But does the cam lobe that's facing up; is that referenced to the one that your changing the shim from?
Yes, on the one you are changing the shim on, cam lobe should be facing straight up, you basically don't want any cam lobe to shim contact as you are adjusting the shim to set proper clearance. You also can't do intake and exhaust on the same cylinder with the same cam lobe position due to cam lobe overlap. So if you are working on cyl 1 for example and you get intake cam lobe to point straight up, you can do the intake valves but you will notice to do exhaust you need to readjust by turning the crank to get the exhaust lobes to point up. It's ok to turn crank counterclockwise also, if needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
'85 528e 164k miles (sold)
'05 M3 6MT coupe

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-07-2018, 06:14:19 PM   #119
den_bart
Registered User
 
den_bart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Age: 24
Posts: 131
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 den_bart is on a distinguished road
Location: Sacramento

United States




Default Re: DIY: E46 M3 (S54) detailed valve adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Yes, on the one you are changing the shim on, cam lobe should be facing straight up, you basically don't want any cam lobe to shim contact as you are adjusting the shim to set proper clearance. You also can't do intake and exhaust on the same cylinder with the same cam lobe position due to cam lobe overlap. So if you are working on cyl 1 for example and you get intake cam lobe to point straight up, you can do the intake valves but you will notice to do exhaust you need to readjust by turning the crank to get the exhaust lobes to point up. It's ok to turn crank counterclockwise also, if needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thank you! Your loads of help!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Jump to top den_bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-08-2018, 03:48:09 AM   #120
mrgizmo04
Registered User
 
mrgizmo04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,356
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 mrgizmo04 is on a distinguished road
Location: Menlo Park

United States




Default Re: DIY: E46 M3 (S54) detailed valve adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by den_bart View Post
Thank you! Your loads of help!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Cheers, mate. Happy to help. Get 'er running!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
'85 528e 164k miles (sold)
'05 M3 6MT coupe

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:51:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing DIY: E46 M3 (S54) detailed valve adjustment in the Faults, Fixes and DIY Forum - Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix! at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)