BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Sat, Apr-22-2017, 08:16:47 PM   #41
aeronaut

United States

Default Re: If you could only give one piece of advice to a beginner on the track...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Totally agree. Better them have to make some corrections while they are relatively slow rather than later on when they've built up enough speed to more dangerous.

When I started out years ago in my E60 M5, my instructor reached down and turned off my DSC for me my very first session. I really didn't know what he was doing? I've known no difference every since.
I don't think there's a wrong answer here. My opinion is that with cars so capable and fast, a novice can get in trouble much more quickly than an instructor can intervene. I depend on the DSC to correct stupid and dangerous mistakes that would otherwise end poorly. Especially for a first (or 2nd) day novice in a 450HP+ car, which is becoming common. I don't mind DSC in sport or track mode, but not off. Then, when the light comes on, the question gets asked....why did that happen? What did DSC just correct? What would have happened without DSC?

Agree that in full nanny/street/idiot mode, DSC can be overly annoying.
Jump to top aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Apr-22-2017, 08:33:15 PM   #42
DreamTime

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: If you could only give one piece of advice to a beginner on the track...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpoweruser View Post
With the BMW cca? I'm no pro but I will be there and will help you out how I can.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Yes, with the BMW CCA the weekend of June 17th and 18th.

Awesome!! I will see you there! As we get closer I will send you a pm. I look forward to meeting you!

Again, thank you everyone. I have taken every piece of advice to heart and I am super thankful! You guys rock!!!
Jump to top DreamTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-25-2017, 02:18:15 AM   #43
will.c

United States

Technical things about driving, mods, and safety aside, since you're probably not gonna do this for a living, just keep in mind you're there to have fun, enjoy life, and make friends. Just put yourself out there and talk to everyone. The people in tracking community are genuinely welcoming and kind to each other, no matter what shape size color you are. It's like we just speak the same unique language that naturally ties us together, and that's the only thing that matters. A lot of my best friends now are my track buddies.
Jump to top will.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-25-2017, 03:18:38 AM   #44
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.c View Post
Technical things about driving, mods, and safety aside, since you're probably not gonna do this for a living, just keep in mind you're there to have fun, enjoy life, and make friends. Just put yourself out there and talk to everyone. The people in tracking community are genuinely welcoming and kind to each other, no matter what shape size color you are. It's like we just speak the same unique language that naturally ties us together, and that's the only thing that matters. A lot of my best friends now are my track buddies.

This is absolutely true! Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Rally Road/P0lar Adapters, SS Brake Lines, Motul 600,Hawk HT-10 Pads, Braille Lightweight Battery, Hotchkis Sway Bars, SR2 CF Sunroof Panel,Apex ARC-8 & Sportline CS8's, Recaro Sportser CS Seats,SAP delete,Lightweight Cabin Filter Housing
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-25-2017, 12:34:07 PM   #45
Biohazard29

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
agree with this, you won't win a trophy but you will have some fun. For me, this is how I relieve stress in my life. Seat time is your best investment beyond your helmet, brake fluid, and pads when getting started.

Walking isn't a lost art - one must, by some means, get to the garage.
Jump to top Biohazard29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-26-2017, 03:55:42 AM   #46
DreamTime

In the garage:

United States

Yes, yes, yes... I am so thrilled to have found such a great community of people who love driving beautiful cars really fast... I can't wait to get out on the track. And, I super appreciate all the advice I have received. Every last word that was contributed to the beginning of my exciting journey is MORE than appreciated and loved. THANK YOU!!!

Jump to top DreamTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-26-2017, 05:53:01 PM   #47
Dib

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
When I started out years ago in my E60 M5, my instructor reached down and turned off my DSC for me my very first session. I really didn't know what he was doing?
While I get what this person was going for, if an instructor adjusted (or attempted to adjust) anything in my car (other than his/her seating position or microphone volume etc) without discussing it first, I'd ask for a new instructor.

Quote:
So right Will. Had no idea when starting how many people I would meet solely through this. I now feel like I can go to almost any event alone and be pretty certain that I will have friends at the track.
Old Wed, Apr-26-2017, 07:06:50 PM   #48
m13s

In the garage:

United States

Mary,

Great job going to your first event. Also lots of great input form the forum members! As an instructor/coach I would prefer to work with women because they A. Listen, B. Don't have an ego, C. Smell nice.

Save your money on mods and get some seat time, find a good patient instructor to work with you, relax, breath and get on track.

Most of all be safe and have fun. Don't be afraid to ask questions and remember the right seat driver is not there to judge but to help you learn. Any sim time helps as well to learn the track prior to going.

Send a report when done.
Jump to top m13s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-26-2017, 07:29:43 PM   #49
SQ13

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m13s View Post
I would prefer to work with women because they Smell nice.

Do us bros not smell nice?