BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Mar-07-2011, 10:19:47 AM   #21
natty99
Heeeeyyy

United States

Default Re: flipm3: 2002 Jet Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
hey!

yea i can definitely share more feedback. i plan on doing another long term review in the near future. to answer some of your questions:

Reliability: absolutely no problems thus far. i believe i've surpassed the warranty policy due to time. but stance doesn't really charge much from what i remember for parts and revalving. it's go through its second winter this year and still no problems at all. no squeaks, no rattles. despite the pillowball mounts and camber plates, there isn't much NVH that i can notice.

Street Comfort:Perfect for me! It has a reasonable amount of stiffness, but more than enough comfort for daily driving. I've driven my parents, sisters, and girlfriend and no one has ever complained. Chicago has a ton of potholes and torn up streets that I frequently pass through, and I have not had any problems nor complaints.

Track Performance:I love it! It got rid of a ton of understeer and increased stability exponentially. My first time at the track, I was thoroughly surprised by the amount of grip and control I had despite my weak tire choice. Coming out of turns, I find myself having a lot of stability despite pushing it more and more. The car feels very in control as I try to roll out of turns and come out of apexes pretty hard. Even when correcting oversteer, the car reacts fairly quickly in correction. I don't have the most track experience compared to many drivers out there, but I can say this is a great setup that suits me. Having linear springs makes is that much more predictable at the limits. One other big thing I noticed was when braking, the car stays very balanced and neutral. I didn't feel drastic nose dive at all and it made driving very smooth.

Things I'd like to change:I am hoping to bump up the spring rates a little more since I don't mind a stiffer ride. The original spring rates are great for the primarily street focussed setup, but I would definitely be interested in upgrading to possibly 500/550 ft lb Swift Springs.

Hopefully that helps out a little more with some of my impressions. I plan on hitting up a couple more track events this coming April, so I'll make sure to provide more feedback.

I'm definitely looking forward to your TEs!! Are you getting them custom painted or ordered from Rays themselves?
Awesome! Thanks for the great write-up. I'm torn between these and TCKs but your review is helping to sway me.

The TEs should be arriving next month...got them ordered straight from Rays. Admittedly, I refer to pics of your car whenever I get too antsy over the wait. I'm so excited! I'll be sure to PM you when they're finally on the car
SUSPENSION/CHASSIS: Moton Street Sport S/A coilovers | Hyperco 450 front TCK 500 rear | GC Street camber plates (-2.4*F) | GC RSMs | RE weight jacks | TMS RTAB limiters | TMS RCAs (-1.4*R) | Mason Engineering Race FSTB | OEM front strut tower reinforcement plates | TMS rear subframe reinforcement
BRAKES: Brembo GT 6/4 monoblocks, 355 front 345 rear
WHEELS/TIRES: Volk TE37s in gloss white, 18x9.5 +22 (F) 18x10.5 +22 (R) | Michelin PSS 245/40 and 275/35
DRIVETRAIN: 3.91 BMW Motorsport
SHIFTING: AS 30% SSK | Illuminated ZHP | RE tranny mounts | GSP clutch pedal with UUC bushings | UUC "big boy" clutch stop | CDV delete | TMS SS clutch line
LIGHTING: Lightwerkz TFX retrofit | Digital 55w 4300K HIDs
INTERIOR: Euro first aid storage boxes
Jump to top natty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Mar-07-2011, 01:01:27 PM   #22
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
Really like the approach you've taken with the car, lots of JDM goodness. I plan to follow a similar strategy as you, focusing on handling performance before I get to power.

Good choice on going N/A and getting quality headers. Airbox next?
Thanks! I try to choose the parts that are high in quality and top performing. In terms of very LONG-term plans for power, I plan on doing the following:
Evolve Airbox, Exhaust --> Cams --> Stroker motor whenever this one explodes, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natty99 View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the great write-up. I'm torn between these and TCKs but your review is helping to sway me.

The TEs should be arriving next month...got them ordered straight from Rays. Admittedly, I refer to pics of your car whenever I get too antsy over the wait. I'm so excited! I'll be sure to PM you when they're finally on the car
No problem man! I am very happy with them and hopefully after your research, you are able to find a set that works out for you. Definitely let me know when you get those TEs in!! I haven't seen authentic white TEs in 5x120 yet!

2004 E46 M3 6MT | Silver Grey . Cloth | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My E90 M3 Build Thread
2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2016 981 Cayman 6MT | White . Black | Coming Soon

POST YOUR DYNO GRAPH HERE: The Official Dyno Thread
Jump to top flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-07-2011, 04:04:34 PM   #23
vman

Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Spring 2011

Future Plans:

With progression in modifying my car, I have focussed primarily on handling performance and preventative maintenance. After MUCH research, I have decided to change directions a little and starting some power to our already amazing S54 engine. I was almost set on taking the plunge on an ESS VT1-445 for it's great "bang for your buck" performance. With this being the LAST N/A inline 6 from the ///M Factory, I felt like it would almost be sacrilegious to add some forced induction. Although, from all the reviews that I've read, the ESS supercharger supposedly drives like a N/A.

Alas, I decided that over the next several years, I want to build this car into a beat N/A motor. The best part is that I can do it in a nice slow progression. With our terribly restrictive headers, I decided that it was the firs to go! I spent months and months trying to decide which headers to go with (JVT, Ebay, SS V1 Stepped, SS V2 Stepped, Kromer Kraft). With this car being a street focussed vehicle, I decided to invest in Supersprint V2 Stepped headers with the Custom Performance Euro200.

Just a few days ago, I made the order through Jack@CPI for the following:

Supersprint V2 Stepped Headers
CPI Euro200
Header Installation Kit

Supersprint is out of stock on the headers and currently manufacturing them, so hopefully they arrive next month!! I'm pretty excited to get these parts installed and to tie them together with my upcoming Tune (more on that next time )

Glad to see you are moving forward with your plans! Another epic thread from another Carbon Black M3 owner .

I plan on finally installing the SS v2 headers, SS cats, and SS resonated section 2 this spring/summer as well as a tune and rear subframe reinforcement at VS. I am just having a hard time deciding on the right exhaust. I want to do the full SS Race bit, but I want to be different, so we will see.

Definitely going ESS F/I in a year or two if the car is still in the garage then.

Much props with your build!

Performance Eurowerks

2004 TiAg E46 M3 coupe w/ SMG
AP V2 header | Supersprint Section 1 | Supersprint Resonated X-Pipe | Dixis Spirit Exhaust | Evolve-R Stage 2 Tune | Ground Control Camber Plates | Ground Control Street / School Coilovers w/ Sway Bar and Endlinks |Volk TE SL Double Pressed Black - 18x9.5 & 18x10.5 or Apex ARC-8 Hyper Black 18x9.5 ET 35 & 18x10 ET 25 | Turbotoy V3 Hub | Challenge 1x1 CF roof | SGT 1x1 diffuser | SGT FRP CSL trunk | SGT Dual Hole Bumper w/ 1x1 One Piece Lip | FX-R 3.0 w/ Osram CBI bulbs (by LightWerkz) | Evolve Eventuri CAI | Recaro Pole Position seats | Storm Motorwerks V4 Titanium Plated E-Brake w/ Black Alcantara | Storm Motorwerks PVD Titanium Coated and Illuminated SMG Paddles w/ Neoprene Layer | Karbonius Carbon Fiber (1x1) lower steering wheel trim | Karbonius Carbon Fiber (1x1) Dashboard trim | Subframe reinforced with Redish plates
Jump to top vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-07-2011, 04:12:47 PM   #24
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Glad to see you are moving forward with your plans! Another epic thread from another Carbon Black M3 owner .

I plan on finally installing the SS v2 headers, SS cats, and SS resonated section 2 this spring/summer as well as a tune and rear subframe reinforcement at VS. I am just having a hard time deciding on the right exhaust. I want to do the full SS Race bit, but I want to be different, so we will see.

Definitely going ESS F/I in a year or two if the car is still in the garage then.

Much props with your build!
honestly bro, it feels good to finally make an order and get things set in stone. i've been debating what setup to go with for far too long, only to come full circle to what i originally wanted

i didn't invest in a section II and muffler just yet because i'm still indecisive on route i want to take. i may build a custom setup or go with something already available on the market.

my car will be at VS this coming April to get everything installed so if you're around, we should definitely meet up!

Old Sat, Mar-12-2011, 01:32:29 AM   #25
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Default teaser

something arrived in the mail

Old Sat, Mar-12-2011, 03:13:34 PM   #26
Kal_el

In the garage:

United States

Awesome journal man. Would love to see the NA motor build.
Old Sun, Mar-27-2011, 12:08:14 AM   #27
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_el View Post
Awesome journal man. Would love to see the NA motor build.
thanks! i am pretty excited to start working the power mods. to reach my end goal will take A LONG time, but i'm sure in the end it will be worth it.

___

QUICK UPDATE: Custom Performance Euro200 just arrived in the mail last night. I got word that SupersprintNA should hopefully be sending out my SS V2 Stepped Headers next week.

Old Sun, Mar-27-2011, 02:38:12 AM   #28
///scott

In the garage:

United States

very nice car, I like the direction you have taken it and look forward to seeing the future progress...love the white TE's btw

Jump to top ///scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-07-2011, 09:34:32 PM   #29
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///scott View Post
very nice car, I like the direction you have taken it and look forward to seeing the future progress...love the white TE's btw
thank you very much for the compliment!

hopefully at the end of April, i can update you all with the new parts and tune. im still waiting for SuperSprint to ship those headers!!! it's tough being patient

Old Tue, Apr-26-2011, 06:31:39 AM   #30
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Default DYNO: Stock Baseline

with my new set of modifications coming in, i have decided to do a baseline run to see where i stand power wise. i chose to go with DynoJet since it is the most readily used dynometer, so it may make comparisons with other setups more tangible in the future. i have constantly kept up with the maintenance of my vehicle since delivery, so i was really hoping for strong results. to be honest with you, i was fairly surprised with the results.

Car and Modifications:
  • 2002 BMW E46 M3
  • 73,XXX miles
  • 100% Stock

DynoJet Information
  • Model: DynoJet 224x AWD

Conditions:
  • Temperature: 67F
  • Atmospheric Pressure: 29.4 inHg
  • Humidity: 42%
  • SAE Correction: 0.99

Results:
  • RunFile_003.drf: 291.18whp, 230.07wtq
  • RunFile_004.drf: 288.68whp, 230.67wtq
  • RunFile_0005.drf: 289.56whp, 230.73wtq
  • Average: 289.81whp, 230.49wtq

I am still waiting for the .drf files from P&L Motorsports. When I receive them, I plan on posting proper screen shots of the dynos with various correction facts and accurate measurements at specific RPMs. As you may notice, I have no AFR recordings. Unfortunately, their AFR sensor broke for their dyno and computer, which puts me at a loss. They hooked up my car to a wide-band gauge for me to see, but no way to actually record it onto the graph. Hopefully this won't pose any complications with tuning, regardless, I am fairly disappointed that I won't have accurate measurements.

Stay tuned for dyno with headers/cats, then with headers/cats/alpha-n!!