BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Oct-02-2014, 12:44:05 AM   #1
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

Default Super Rough Ride

Okay, prepare for the silliest question this forum has ever seen, but I'm posting it anyways before I eff up something.

2005 stock M3, 78k. Used to just be a daily driver at home, commuted an hour and half to school and an hour and a half back twice a week for a whole school year, not a single issue outside of regular maintenance. Now I live three hours from home and I drive it Monday to where I live during the week, drive it home on Friday. Not a problem. Don't drive it during the week or weekend other than those two days, really. All of my driving is on old country roads except for quick jots on the interstate.

But to the point of my post:
I have Kuhmo Ecstas spts on the front, still great tread even though I'm not a fan of the tire. And I just in the past month switched by (completely smooth) old Michelin Pilot Super Sports out for the Michelin Pilot A/S 3's on the rear. I knew they'd be a bit different feel and louder, but whatever.
NOW my point (sigh)- The ride is incredibly rough. There's no steering wheel vibration and it doesnt shake or rattle if the surface is completely perfect, but every teeny split in the asphalt, crack, pothole, small rough patch... I go flying. It seriously feels like the car takes off into the air and slams back down.

The guys who put on my new tires blew up all my tires to the door reading, 41/48. I told them that was absurd since I've always kept in the low 30s and they assured me I was wrong. Being female, I tend to hear that a lot. Woo.

NOW THAT MY ESSAY IS OVER....

Would the tire pressures being that freaking blown slam up cause the car to take off like that and bounce all over the dang place? I just dont want to be laying in a campus parking lot draining tires down for nothing. Let me hear your opinion, please, and your suggested tire pressures.

(Sorry for the ramble)
Jump to top nascar_acj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-02-2014, 12:48:01 AM   #2
zirrah
fack

United States

Default Re: Super Rough Ride

Errr that's too high. I just looked at the door panel the other day due to a tpms alarm. Believe it's 33 / 35. I tend to agree with the manufacturer.

2006 CB Comp Pack and everything else
Jump to top zirrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-02-2014, 12:53:07 AM   #3
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirrah View Post
Errr that's too high. I just looked at the door panel the other day due to a tpms alarm. Believe it's 33 / 35. I tend to agree with the manufacturer.
I figured as much when I'd get out of my car and felt like my spine was squashed all together. But "noooo, this is much better for the tires".... that's what I get for not being able to just get them put on the wheel and put them on and fill them on my own.

I can't even trust my pressure sensor anymore, it stays on and there's nothing wrong. I've reset it a million times, comes back on five mins up the road. Not a single thing wrong, just wants to be spazzy. Between that and my sunroof that opens without being told to, it's got a mind of its own.
Old Thu, Oct-02-2014, 12:59:14 AM   #4
DiXiS 18

Would air them down to around 36-38 and see how that feels. Your tire PSI will also rise as they gain heat (while your driving). Also take a look at your RTAB, FCAB, and alignment if you still experience these symptoms. Your tire light is probably activating because of the vast difference in PSI that it's not set too. Try taking the air out and resetting. If it doesn't stay off you can reset the system to your new values.

And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win.
-Ayrton Senna
Jump to top DiXiS 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-02-2014, 01:03:34 AM   #5
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiXiS 18 View Post
Would air them down to around 36-38 and see how that feels. Your tire PSI will also rise as they gain heat (while your driving). Also take a look at your RTAB, FCAB, and alignment if you still experience these symptoms. Your tire light is probably activating because of the vast difference in PSI that it's not set too. Try taking the air out and resetting. If it doesn't stay off you can reset the system to your new values.
I mentioned that when they were inflating them like they were supposed to float the car across the ocean. Guy told me they were putting cold air in them so the fact that they'd rise didn't matter. *sigh* Wouldn't surprise me if those rears are bouncing around at 50 psi warmed up.

Thanks for the help. I'll drop them down tomorrow and ride around a bit to see how it feels.
Old Thu, Oct-02-2014, 01:09:06 AM   #6
foolio
40oz. to Freedom

In the garage:

United States

Not near my car right now, but that door reading of 41/48 are probably the maximum load pressures.

Old Thu, Oct-02-2014, 01:10:56 AM   #7
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio View Post
Not near my car right now, but that door reading of 41/48 are probably the maximum load pressures.
Bingo. I told them I thought that was for a full load, not one 125 pound driver and a book bag. Ridiculous.
Old Thu, Oct-02-2014, 01:16:46 AM   #8
M3_Ed

In the garage:

Canada

Tire pressure is definitely too high. If you're running 19's I find 33/35 to be pretty good. 18's more so in the 32/34 range.

But generally speaking the pilot A/S series are pretty stiff tires. Put it this way, my old 18" PS A/S rode rougher than my current 19" gmax as-03's...Of course the A/S's handled better in the twisties so it's always a compromise.

EDIT: Not sure about tire pressure for 18's now. It's been a while, may have been 34/37

M3_Ed's Journal

Jump to top M3_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-02-2014, 01:34:02 AM   #9
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Ed View Post
Tire pressure is definitely too high. If you're running 19's I find 33/35 to be pretty good. 18's more so in the 32/34 range.

But generally speaking the pilot A/S series are pretty stiff tires. Put it this way, my old 18" PS A/S rode rougher than my current 19" gmax as-03's...Of course the A/S's handled better in the twisties so it's always a compromise.

EDIT: Not sure about tire pressure for 18's now. It's been a while, may have been 34/37
I'm on 19's, much prefer them over the 18's I used for a while. I've always ran 34-36 all the way around with the 19's.

I was going to just get another pair of SS' but after getting stuck driving in every weather condition imaginable (including a thin layer of snow on a major highway, that was "fun") I figured I'd go with something that could at least handle rain a bit better. Plus after -see photo attached- happened, I saw how short of time they really lasted, but since they're stacked, warranty doesn't do much. It's just taking some time to get used to the noise, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BvNLobVIIAAf1ev.jpg (32.8 KB, 41 views)
Old Thu, Oct-02-2014, 02:08:59 AM   #10
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Oh yes, waaaaaaaayyyyy to high. Dump truck ride quality for sure.

With 18" PSS' I run 32/34 and have a decent ride. Anything more, even 2 psi, and I can barely stand driving the car in the city.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote