BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Oct-09-2014, 05:19:47 AM   #21
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Super Rough Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspa View Post
This thread is hurting my brain.

1. You have mis-matched front and rear tires

2. You have tires that are *way* over-inflated

3. You're wondering why the car isn't behaving right

Might be something to do with points 1 and 2.

Also I find it's not at all uncommon for tire shops to inflate to the max pressure. Every time I get any tire work done I check the pressures and often have to let them down. Get a tire pressure gauge that has a release valve, makes it very easy.
Told you in the main post to prepare yourself
Jump to top nascar_acj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-09-2014, 05:20:50 AM   #22
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Dropped them down to 35/38 for now and already feel a huge difference back to its old feel. Gonna probably drop them a few more eventually.
Old Thu, Oct-09-2014, 05:36:28 AM   #23
Kong Sheng Han
Banned

In the garage:

North Korea

Female on the forum? We're gonna need pics. You can PM them to me if you'd like
Jump to top Kong Sheng Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-09-2014, 06:01:27 AM   #24
cyberlando

In the garage:

United States

I know right I'm more impressed by this woman's effort than anything.....i know women thay drove a car straight into the ground knowing there engine didn't have oik and just didn't really care! Kudos to you op much respect

And pics or you being a female doesn't exist lmao jk
[] Led Interior [] DICE Module [] Auxilary 3.5 jack [] 4 channel Amp with component speakers.....and more
Suspension/Handling:
[] KW V3 [] Eibach F&R Sways [] Vibratechnics Tranny mount [] UUC RTAB
[] Vibratechnics Motor Mount [] SSBL [] Turner Camber Plates
[] 90A Akg Subframe Bushings [] Akg Differential Bushings [] Subframe Renforcement

Jump to top cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-09-2014, 07:39:22 AM   #25
mdavidm3

In the garage:

United States

having your tire pressure that high will cause uneven wear. the center of the tire will wear faster than the edges. stick with the stock 33/35
Jump to top mdavidm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-09-2014, 01:05:06 PM   #26
WeekendM3

In the garage:

India

When I first bought my M3 I was confused as anything when it came to resetting the tire pressure monitoring system. I kept inflating my tires to proper specs and would simply press the "reset" button and drive off...only to have the warning light come on again in a few days. I knew this was not normal so I did some research and luckily found the "correct" way to reset the tpms system. Hope this helps and keeps your tpms system light from constantly being on because that's not normal.

1. Check Tire Pressure to make sure no variance from side to side.
2. Sit in car, with out touching the pedals.
3. Key in ignition, Turn key on to engine off position (second position).
4. Press and hold TPM until TPM lights go out completely on the dash.
5. Press and hold TPM again until yellow TPM light indicator comes lit on dash.
6. Start car and drive. Light will go off itself once it has calibrated tire pressure. (might go out at idle).

2003 - Alpine White / Imola Red M3 Coupe 6MT * Factory Sunroof Delete * Manual Seats * Xenon * HK * Dinan Exhaust * Karbonius CSL Airbox * TTFS Tune * OE Operational CSL Flap / Snorkel *
Jump to top WeekendM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-09-2014, 02:41:14 PM   #27
DodgeStratus

United States

I too would recommend lower PSI than 35/38. That's a good pressure if you're looking for excellent mileage, but my experience is once that heats up you're over 40, at least in the rear. The highest I run the michelin PSS hot is about 37, otherwise I've noted increased wear in the center. It looks like you're experiencing the same from what your picture indicates.

My experience is based on what I like to call my "accelerated wear program" :-)

Best of luck and seems like you're plenty knowledgeable on the subject :thumbs up:
Jump to top DodgeStratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-07-2014, 07:15:17 PM   #28
nascar_acj

In the garage:

United States

LOL just happened to come back and check on this forum and came across this post of mine. Thanks again for the help, everyone. Yes, female driver here. I wish I was a bit more daring and felt safe enough pulling things apart on the car, but alas, I am afraid it'll never run again and I'll be stuck walking. *sigh*

Recently had a bit of a moment with the brake booster possibly trying to go out, took it by the shop and the foreman drove it and couldn't get it to do it again. Interesting enough, he felt like the car drove pretty smooth while I'm over there rambling about how ridiculously rough it is. He told me the tire pressure sensor probably won't go away until I switch those fronts out to match the rears due to it measuring the revolutions instead of the pressure.

Speaking of the fronts- Never again will I have SPTs. Unreal. The tread is just fine, really, still enough to pass inspection, but holy moly the rubber is cracking like hell. Gonna switch them over to the A/S's like the new-ish rears in the next month. I'm talking little pin hole cracks all over the tread, the edges look like a cheese grater was taken to them.

The ride is less bouncy, but now more rough and almost feels like a vibration, but nothing moving the steering wheel. I only feel it more pronounced on old roads (which is mostly what I have to drive on) and not so much on newly paved roads. Just feels like every bump in the road is more intense than it used to be, which makes me worry about suspension parts rather than the tires.

My car is possessed and it knows I'm a worry wart.