BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Sep-15-2009, 02:46:22 PM   #1
Razkal

Canada

Default Power seat does not move foward or back

Hello all,

I have been having a strange problem recently. My driver seat does not move forward or backwards now. The seat performs all other functions and the memory buttons work but the seat does not move forward/backwards.

Has anyone experienced this type of issue?

Thanks in advance.

2002 BMW M3 - Carbon Black | Imola Red
Mods: 19" Staggered Volk Progressive ME's, Bilstein PSS9, smoked corners, grills, side grills, indicators, smoked LED tails, icelink, Tischer short shift kit, ZHP shift knob, baby seat
Jump to top Razkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Sep-15-2009, 10:31:38 PM   #2
jblack

United States

I just fixed mine.

Here is what to do.

1. Does the switch "Click" when you push it? Mine did. If not, you may have a different problem (related to the switch).

2. Piviot the seat up (like to let a passenger into the back seat). Look under the seat - the motor for back and forth is the most rear mounted, and inboard - check that it is plugged in and nothing looks wonky.

3. Buy a new motor (52-10-8-251-415 - called an actuator). It is attached with 2 torx screws. I was able to remove and install the new one without removing the seat.

Done. Fixed mine - hardest part was unplugging the actuator -I attacked that from the front of the seat. Part was $105.13 list. Dealer wanted $600 for doing the repair.
Jump to top jblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-16-2009, 03:04:12 PM   #3
Razkal

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblack View Post
I just fixed mine.

Here is what to do.

1. Does the switch "Click" when you push it? Mine did. If not, you may have a different problem (related to the switch).

2. Piviot the seat up (like to let a passenger into the back seat). Look under the seat - the motor for back and forth is the most rear mounted, and inboard - check that it is plugged in and nothing looks wonky.

3. Buy a new motor (52-10-8-251-415 - called an actuator). It is attached with 2 torx screws. I was able to remove and install the new one without removing the seat.

Done. Fixed mine - hardest part was unplugging the actuator -I attacked that from the front of the seat. Part was $105.13 list. Dealer wanted $600 for doing the repair.
Hello jblack,

Thank you so much for your response. I will have a look tonight and see what is up. Thanks also for the instructions, I really appreciate it.

Mods: 19" Staggered Volk Progressive ME's, Bilstein PSS9, smoked corners, grills, side grills, indicators, smoked LED tails, icelink, Tischer short shift kit, ZHP shift knob, baby seat
Old Wed, Sep-16-2009, 05:57:28 PM   #4
JmanM3

United States

I've had the same problem for over half a year but haven't tried fixing it yet.
Thanks for the explanation

Jump to top JmanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-17-2009, 01:26:56 AM   #5
jblack

United States

Seriously guys- I though it was going to be a bioch and a half. I pictured seat removal, trim tears, airbag lights- the whole deal. If you have a set of torx drivers or sockets, it is about a 30 minute job. Just pissed I didn't do it a while ago.
Old Thu, Sep-17-2009, 01:59:01 AM   #6
johnclarke

United States

Hey, can't you just hold the seat still and move the car back and forth?

j/k
Old Thu, Sep-17-2009, 06:37:55 PM   #7
Razkal

Canada

Update:

I got under the seat last night and saw my problem right away. The ground wire had somehow been cut. I reconnected the wire using another piece to bridge it and it works with no problems again.

Old Thu, Sep-17-2009, 10:06:09 PM   #8
silbul

In the garage:

United States

Hm, this is interesting. Well before I bought mine, I helped a seller solve a non-adjusting power seat (fore/aft), and it looked like a (black?) wire to the motor had been cut (clean, not frayed wires/insulation). I wonder what is up under the seat that is not just sharp but has cutting power?
Jump to top silbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-17-2009, 10:25:39 PM   #9
jblack

United States

Cool! Sounds like you saved 600 bucks as compared to the dealer and 100 bucks compared to the actuator. You know - had you taken it to the dealer, you would have gotten a new actuator when 2 cents worth of electrical tape would have done it!

Good job!
Old Wed, Sep-30-2009, 07:51:24 AM   #10
cjrivera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razkal View Post
Update:

I got under the seat last night and saw my problem right away. The ground wire had somehow been cut. I reconnected the wire using another piece to bridge it and it works with no problems again.
Very strange. My car just started with the same problem today. Any chance of taking a picture of the wire that was cut?
Jump to top cjrivera is offline   Reply With Quote