BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Fri, Mar-06-2009, 03:14:25 AM   #21
ShakeNbake
Texas 2 step

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by prematureapex View Post
Yes, the Quick fits have ASM built-in, and they are DOT approved. For that matter, the regular Scroth Rally 4 has ASM built in.

The ASM has to do with submarining, which is entirely different than the problem/concern with not having a bar in the car and wearing a harness (being held upright and therefore subject to compressive injuries). ASM does absolutely nothing to prevent the kind of injury clubs/people are concerned about regarding a harness in a non-barred car.

In any case, the -friend- (hard to even call him a friend, I knew him) was using a Scroth Rally-4, ASM equipped. It held him upright and he broke his neck when the roof came in. In that instance, submarining would have helped him.

I prefer the -pretension seatbelt lock- then slide teh seat forward method to a CG, as it gets the shoulder strap tight too. Right now, that's where I'm at.

the real problem is, if I put a recliner in the car, I'll feel like I should put in two (as it's not -serious- enough to warrant pulling in and out). And, quick frankly, outlaying a few grand for a pair of leather sportsters isn't thrilling...haha.
Wow, sorry to hear about your loss. That is indeed a worst case scenario.

09 E90 M3 DCT | Turner Studs | RedNeck cutouts | Britax Seat | Diaper survival kit | Bassified
Jump to top ShakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Mar-06-2009, 03:17:19 AM   #22
HaroldC
Yes, it's stock.....

United States

Are you guys running your stock 3 points over the thigh bolsters or through the side cutouts? Because you shouldn't run them over the bolsters, which is probably why some of you have space. You need to run them through the belt cutouts on the sides, especially the female belt receptacle.
Old Fri, Mar-06-2009, 01:31:33 PM   #23
Beach_Bum

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldC View Post
Are you guys running your stock 3 points over the thigh bolsters or through the side cutouts? Because you shouldn't run them over the bolsters, which is probably why some of you have space. You need to run them through the belt cutouts on the sides, especially the female belt receptacle.
I run the left side through the cutout in my PPs, but it is downright impossible to run the receptacle through the cutout on the right side. The receptacle ends up digging into your hip area because of the snugness of the seats. Perhaps it different with other brands though.

Even while running it over the bolster on the right side, the belt is snug against my waist and chest.
Old Fri, Mar-06-2009, 03:00:03 PM   #24
HaroldC
Yes, it's stock.....

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach_Bum View Post
I run the left side through the cutout in my PPs, but it is downright impossible to run the receptacle through the cutout on the right side. The receptacle ends up digging into your hip area because of the snugness of the seats. Perhaps it different with other brands though.

Even while running it over the bolster on the right side, the belt is snug against my waist and chest.
Why don't you order a receptacle with the longer tail? I would assume you value the safety of having the 3 points work the way they were designed to.

Have you ever seen how much a body can move in an impact when the seat belt is setup correctly? Even in Grand Am racing, where they run 6 point belts, right side nets and window nets, is requiring for 2009 that every car now runs a left side net in addition to the window net. That's how much the body can move in an impact.

Once you realize how much you can move, I hope you make it a priority to get the OEM belts functioning the way they were designed to.
Old Fri, Mar-06-2009, 03:10:51 PM   #25
silber

United States

Quote:
Why don't you order a receptacle with the longer tail? I would assume you value the safety of having the 3 points work the way they were designed to.

Have you ever seen how much a body can move in an impact when the seat belt is setup correctly? Even in Grand Am racing, where they run 6 point belts, right side nets and window nets, is requiring for 2009 that every car now runs a left side net in addition to the window net. That's how much the body can move in an impact.

Once you realize how much you can move, I hope you make it a priority to get the OEM belts functioning the way they were designed to.
Do you (or anyone else reading this) know of any receptacles that are able to fit through the outer opening? I know this what SHOULD be done but I haven't personally seen it before on our cars. Something like this (997 GT2 with factory buckets):

Jump to top silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-06-2009, 03:11:46 PM   #26
jpjpjp

United States

I used the CG lock and I thought it worked real well.
Jump to top jpjpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-06-2009, 03:30:54 PM   #27
docwyte
Track addict

United States

I've been very pleased with my Schroth quick fit belts. If the roof collapses enough that you end up with a spinal injury with them, it would've happened with the stock 3 points as well.

Unfortunately everything is a compromise. You either keep the stock seats and run the schroths or you get a complete rollbar, fixed back seats and 6 point harnesses.

'98 BMW M3 Track Rat
'08 Lexus GX470 Daily Driver
'15 KTM 1190R Beastly Moto
Jump to top docwyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-06-2009, 03:50:33 PM   #28
Beach_Bum

United States

Quote:

I definitely value safety and I've been somewhat concerned about it since installing the seats. If I had known that I could rig my receptacle to come through the cutout without it smashing my hip, I would have done it a long time ago.

Do you have any links to where I can find the extended receptacle?

Old Fri, Mar-06-2009, 04:06:09 PM   #29
PKumarM3
Banned

India

if ur running fixed back seats, run a rear roll bar.

uve already eliminated the rear seating. why stop there? is ur life that unimportant?

safety is the ultimate modification.
Jump to top PKumarM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-06-2009, 04:13:20 PM   #30
prematureapex

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3 View Post
if ur running fixed back seats, run a rear roll bar.

uve already eliminated the rear seating. why stop there? is ur life that unimportant?

safety is the ultimate modification.
Fixed-back seat = non-reclining racing seats. The back seats are still in the car.
Jump to top prematureapex is offline   Reply With Quote