BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Mar-27-2006, 12:45:39 AM   #1
Curly W

Default e36 convertaible rear seat back removal

Can someone help me out with a little advice? I can't seem to figure out how to get my rear seat back out and the dealers in the Washington DC area have all been clueless. I don't know if they really don't know or if they just want me to pay them to do it but it doesn't make any sense to me. :nixweiss:
I've been told to partially open the top storage compartment cover and just pull the top part of the seat forward but it doesn't want to come out very easily. I have a tendancy to break things so I didn't want to pull too hard. I am trying to install an ipod adapter that plugs in between the cd changer and the cable that runs to the stereo. I don't have a service manual (yet) and I'd really be grateful for any advice.
Jump to top Curly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Mar-27-2006, 04:13:31 AM   #2
deilenberger

Reputation: 578 deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly W
Can someone help me out with a little advice? I can't seem to figure out how to get my rear seat back out and the dealers in the Washington DC area have all been clueless. I don't know if they really don't know or if they just want me to pay them to do it but it doesn't make any sense to me. :nixweiss:
I've been told to partially open the top storage compartment cover and just pull the top part of the seat forward but it doesn't want to come out very easily. I have a tendancy to break things so I didn't want to pull too hard. I am trying to install an ipod adapter that plugs in between the cd changer and the cable that runs to the stereo. I don't have a service manual (yet) and I'd really be grateful for any advice.
Piece'a cake.

1. Remove headrests. Pull up REALLY REALLY hard with the top down. Try not to hit yourself in the chin when you do it. Sometimes they don't want to move - try squirting WD40 down alongside the rods. The seat CAN NOT BE REMOVED until you remove the headrests.

2. Remove seat-cushion - the part the butt goes on. Grab front edge and yank upwards. It will release from some clips. Toss it over the side so you have room.

3. Grab the top edge of the rear-seat-back and pull it directly FORWARDS towards the front of the car. There are two clips - one on each side. Once the clips are free, and the edge is clear of the defroster heater-trim, pull the seat back upwards. It will be released from two tabs in the bottom. Pull out the seatbelts enough to thread it out of them (no need to unbolt the bottom.)

Reinstallation is the reverse.

BTDT - today in fact.. There are two large rubber grommets on the far left and right corners of the trunk that go into the passenger compartment. If you find a piece of stiff tubing, you can push it through the grommet along side the existing wiring - using it as a "snake" - attach the wire you want to go through to the end of the tubing with something like electrical tape and pull the wire through by pulling the tubing through.
  • 2002 M3C/6 - Imola Red/Black - SOLD
  • 2003 525iT - Green/Tan - SOLD - replaced with Lexus
  • 2006 Cayenne/S - Iceland Silver Metallic/Stone-steel Gray - Truckster. - SOLD
  • 2007 R1200R - Roadster, black mit/white pinstripes - SOLD and not forgotten..
  • 2012 R1200R - Roadster, Ruby Red - the new REAL BMW..
  • 2011 Lexus RX-350. SWMBO's new toy.
  • 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, white/black. My new toy..
Jump to top deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-27-2006, 03:54:11 PM   #3
cjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Piece'a cake.

1. Remove headrests. Pull up REALLY REALLY hard with the top down. Try not to hit yourself in the chin when you do it. Sometimes they don't want to move - try squirting WD40 down alongside the rods. The seat CAN NOT BE REMOVED until you remove the headrests.

2. Remove seat-cushion - the part the butt goes on. Grab front edge and yank upwards. It will release from some clips. Toss it over the side so you have room.

3. Grab the top edge of the rear-seat-back and pull it directly FORWARDS towards the front of the car. There are two clips - one on each side. Once the clips are free, and the edge is clear of the defroster heater-trim, pull the seat back upwards. It will be released from two tabs in the bottom. Pull out the seatbelts enough to thread it out of them (no need to unbolt the bottom.)

BTDT - today in fact.. There are two large rubber grommets on the far left and right corners of the trunk that go into the passenger compartment. If you find a piece of stiff tubing, you can push it through the grommet along side the existing wiring - using it as a "snake" - attach the wire you want to go through to the end of the tubing with something like electrical tape and pull the wire through by pulling the tubing through.

Don, you are my freaking hero... Please don't abandon us on the E36 forum now that you're moving up to the E46 world!! Seriously, this kind of help is what the rest of us poor guys need, and can't seem to find very easily anywhere else. Thanks for this post - it's going to come in handy when I do the Leatherique treatment that I learned about from... one of your other posts!!

Thanks again for the help.

Chris
Jump to top cjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-27-2006, 04:40:19 PM   #4
Curly W

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Piece'a cake.

Hey thanks! I really needed that! I tried the head rests but was scared I was gonna break something. Will definately watch the chin. I'm going to try to get it done soon as I get home from work. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

Greg
Old Mon, Mar-27-2006, 05:03:31 PM   #5
wsmc831

once removed, spray something down there. I used silicon spray after my first deathmatch with the headrests, they've been fine since.
1991 CBR 600F2 (race bike) -now gone.
Jump to top wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-28-2006, 02:46:51 AM   #6
Curly W

Okay I got the headrests off!!! and what do you know but that the damn seat came right out!!!
Funny thing, I posted the same question on the bimmerwerks forum and got not one single response. Guess I know where to concentrate my time when I've got issues (and man have I got issues). Thanks guys for the help. It made my week.

Now I just need to get some help with the radar detector.

Greg
Old Sun, Mar-15-2009, 09:58:51 PM   #7
m3alert1

United Kingdom

Default Great thread !!!

As you can see from the date this info is always needed.

Thanks.
Jump to top m3alert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-15-2009, 10:37:53 PM   #8
T2
The Anti-Poser

United States

I leave my headrest out...I don't think they match well with the Vaders and it is so easy to pop the rear seats in and out...top and bottom.
"I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my BMW and run off into the hills, or wherever. Sometimes when I get a message on my fax machine, I wonder: "Did little demons get inside and type it?" I don't know! My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts."

Jump to top T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-03-2013, 07:06:27 PM   #9
baj8847

United States

Default Re: e36 convertaible rear seat back removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
Piece'a cake.

Don, you are an angel! You saved my marriage! I told my husband the back seats came out! Eternally grateful! BAJ
Jump to top baj8847 is offline   Reply With Quote