BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Sun, Apr-10-2016, 03:04:57 PM   #141
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Post your trailer setups!

For those who are using an open trailer with full cages and the front windows deleted...what are you doing about the front windows?
Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Apr-10-2016, 08:34:02 PM   #142
MAK3N3

In the garage:

United States

16FT Kwik Load Rollback - would like to remove the fairing and get a winch and a tirerack built one day...

Jump to top MAK3N3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-10-2016, 08:38:41 PM   #143
JRM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I would like to get some more feedback on how a 1/2 ton pickup does towing an enclosed trailer with just cars and tires.

I have a 13 f150 with 5.0 and 3:55 gears and tow a 20' V nose enclosed, I'm hauling somewhere around 7500 loaded up. Tows great, but a heavy duty weight distribution hitch is a must.

Don't bother with an ecoboost, had a 2012 exact same to my 5.0 and towing with that sucked.
Jump to top JRM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-13-2016, 06:21:01 PM   #144
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM3 View Post
I have a 13 f150 with 5.0 and 3:55 gears and tow a 20' V nose enclosed, I'm hauling somewhere around 7500 loaded up. Tows great, but a heavy duty weight distribution hitch is a must.

Don't bother with an ecoboost, had a 2012 exact same to my 5.0 and towing with that sucked.

Thanks for the reply!
Old Tue, Jan-10-2017, 07:58:54 PM   #145
foolio
40oz. to Freedom

In the garage:

United States

If all goes as planned I will be ordering a new 18' open aluminum trailer with tire rack in the next couple of weeks. It comes with a winch mount plate but no actual winch. Can I get any opinions on what winches people are using? Capacity/size, brand?? Also, are winches ok to leave mounted even if the trailer is stored outside or should I make sure to bring it in between track events/winter etc.?

Old Wed, Jan-11-2017, 01:46:14 PM   #146
AXDB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio View Post
If all goes as planned I will be ordering a new 18' open aluminum trailer with tire rack in the next couple of weeks. It comes with a winch mount plate but no actual winch. Can I get any opinions on what winches people are using? Capacity/size, brand?? Also, are winches ok to leave mounted even if the trailer is stored outside or should I make sure to bring it in between track events/winter etc.?
If you are not dead set on new, there are some good used ones out there. I have seen this trailer personally and can say it is a very nice example of a trailex.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...pe-Only-910lbs

2003 M3 Carbon Black / Cinnamon
Jump to top AXDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-11-2017, 02:59:02 PM   #147
foolio
40oz. to Freedom

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for the heads up! That is indeed a very nice trailer. However, the new one I am looking at is much closer to me and quite a bit cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXDB View Post
If you are not dead set on new, there are some good used ones out there. I have seen this trailer personally and can say it is a very nice example of a trailex.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...pe-Only-910lbs

Old Wed, Jan-11-2017, 03:38:05 PM   #148
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

I thought about getting a mid size pick up and an aluminum open trailer. My car will be about 3k lbs so I'll be well under the 7k towing cap for a Chevy Colorado and GVW with tires, tools, stuff, and family. My family is relatively lightweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed, Jan-11-2017, 08:17:03 PM   #149
Tinnit

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio View Post
Can I get any opinions on what winches people are using? Capacity/size, brand??
For a trailer winch, the brand doesn't really matter. As a long-time fourwheeler, I'd only get a reputable namebrand for vehicle recovery, but for a trailer winch, I'd get any of the cheap knockoffs. I'd go on Amazon and get whichever winch has decent reviews. For capacity, a 3500lb winch will be more than enough for a free rolling car. If you break something that jams up a wheel so that you're dragging it instead of rolling it, you can keep a snatch block in your trailer supply box. When you double line a winch with a snatch block, you halve the speed and double the strength.

Two more things I'd consider: most winches are sold with a wired remote. You could either look for one that comes with a wireless remote or there are several aftermarket options (most are universal) for adding a wireless remote. That'll allow you to sit in the car to steer it or walk along side it, which the wired remote won't allow you to do. Also, it looks like most winches still ship with steel cable. I highly recommend switching it out for synthetic rope. The rope is much lighter and way safer. It doesn't store energy like the steel cable and you won't get your hands cut on frays like with steel cable. Some winches come with synthetic rope, or you can replace the cable later.

Quote:
Also, are winches ok to leave mounted even if the trailer is stored outside or should I make sure to bring it in between track events/winter etc.?
Yep, you can leave the winch out. Jeep guys leave theirs out in the elements year-round. The finish won't look as good as it would if you protected it, of course, but it should still work fine. I suggested synthetic rope earlier... many brands of synthetic rope are UV sensitive. If you do get the rope (and I hope you do), I'd put a cover over the winch. A simple vinyl cloth with some eyelets in the corners bungied over the top should be more than enough. The fancier brands (like Warn) should have high quality form-fitting covers available. That said, I ran UV-sensitive rope on my Jeep winch with no cover for years, exposed 365 days a year, and never had any breaks.

Last thought: Trailers are already enticing to thieves. Adding a winch makes it even more attractive. If you're in a secure, out-of-sight area, then you're probably fine. If you're in a high traffic area and/or if the trailer isn't already locked up, I'd get a hitch lock for it and I'd secure the winch somehow - mine is on a 2" receiver, so I pull it off and put it in the garage. You could also put a tack weld on the attaching bolts so that it's harder to walk away with the winch.
Jump to top Tinnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-11-2017, 08:24:36 PM   #150
foolio
40oz. to Freedom

In the garage:

United States

Now that is EXACTLY the information I was looking for...thank you Tinnit for taking the time for such a detailed knowledge transfer!

Thanks for the security advice too. That I have not fully figured out yet. I do not have room where I live. I got a couple friends barns that may be an option. Last resort is a local, secured U-store-it place that charges $1/ft per month for outdoor storage. I will only need that during track season as I can store it at my mom's rural farm in the winter. In all cases I will be getting a hitch lock regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinnit View Post
For a trailer winch, the brand doesn't really matter. As a long-time fourwheeler, I'd only get a reputable namebrand for vehicle recovery, but for a trailer winch, I'd get any of the cheap knockoffs. I'd go on Amazon and get whichever winch has decent reviews. For capacity, a 3500lb winch will be more than enough for a free rolling car. If you break something that jams up a wheel so that you're dragging it instead of rolling it, you can keep a snatch block in your trailer supply box. When you double line a winch with a snatch block, you halve the speed and double the strength.

Two more things I'd consider: most winches are sold with a wired remote. You could either look for one that comes with a wireless remote or there are several aftermarket options (most are universal) for adding a wireless remote. That'll allow you to sit in the car to steer it or walk along side it, which the wired remote won't allow you to do. Also, it looks like most winches still ship with steel cable. I highly recommend switching it out for synthetic rope. The rope is much lighter and way safer. It doesn't store energy like the steel cable and you won't get your hands cut on frays like with steel cable. Some winches come with synthetic rope, or you can replace the cable later.

Yep, you can leave the winch out. Jeep guys leave theirs out in the elements year-round. The finish won't look as good as it would if you protected it, of course, but it should still work fine. I suggested synthetic rope earlier... many brands of synthetic rope are UV sensitive. If you do get the rope (and I hope you do), I'd put a cover over the winch. A simple vinyl cloth with some eyelets in the corners bungied over the top should be more than enough. The fancier brands (like Warn) should have high quality form-fitting covers available. That said, I ran UV-sensitive rope on my Jeep winch with no cover for years, exposed 365 days a year, and never had any breaks.

Last thought: Trailers are already enticing to thieves. Adding a winch makes it even more attractive. If you're in a secure, out-of-sight area, then you're probably fine. If you're in a high traffic area and/or if the trailer isn't already locked up, I'd get a hitch lock for it and I'd secure the winch somehow - mine is on a 2" receiver, so I pull it off and put it in the garage. You could also put a tack weld on the attaching bolts so that it's harder to walk away with the winch.