BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Thu, Feb-09-2017, 12:51:35 AM   #41
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: CrookedCommie's Track/Street Build

Very nice, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Are you feeling loose in the rear end currently?
Jump to top nholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Mar-01-2017, 03:14:41 PM   #42
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

First track event of 2017 @ Road Atlanta.

First time here, Road Atlanta is a beast of a track. Great weather and Chin puts on a pretty good event. There's some rolling chicanes in Novice, but I was able to get bumped up to Intermediate on Sunday, and the two check out instructors I rode with were able to get me up to speed on T1, T6 and T12 so I was able to get down to 1:43 late on Sunday when I had a lap or two to myself. You can get some unbelievably fast entry speed into T1 and T6. The new spring rate (700/800) worked out really well, as did the ride height (13.25/12.75) - no issues with rubbing. I need to play around with the TC Klines and speed up the compression and rebound - some speed through T3 curbing would actually bounce the car back when it hit the ground, and T5 exit the dampers felt really slow to respond.

Here's some slow footage from Saturday following a GT4. I'm just starting to learn the track and get some flow here.

Had a little incident down the back straight - the AKG shifter threads into a base mounted to the chassis, it unscrewed itself completely at the exact moment I was going from 4 to 5. I thought when it happened I snapped a linkage, so when I got the car stopped I thought I was going to get towed out... decided to look at it while I was waiting and realized what had happened. Screwed it back in and I was back in business. It's getting red thread locker now that I'm back home.

Car ran flawlessly otherwise. 1000+ miles road trip and 5+ hours on track.

I need to remove the airbags, tilt the race seats back (I got yelled at that they are upright), either fix or remove A/C. I'm also going to try to drop the transmission a bit to get some thermal barrier tape on the transmission tunnel. The floor gets way too hot without any carpet and sound deadening.

Last edited by CrookedCommie; Fri, Mar-03-2017 at 10:33:26 PM.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-22-2017, 05:32:03 PM   #43
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Couple small updates.

Blackstone report, I'm using Liqui Moly GT1 10W-60

New Rod Bearings, 3000 miles, 3 track days, 1 over rev. Should have a follow up in about a month or two.

I dropped the transmission a bit so I could get some aluminum thermal barrier on the transmission tunnel to try to lower the temps on the floor. It's been cold in the Midwest the last couple weeks, so no idea if it helped yet.

The HF transmission jack makes it easy to drop the whole exhaust

You can use the engine brace to raise the engine a bit and lower the transmission, gets you just enough clearance to wrap everything. I also used aluminum tape to tape up all the edges and overlaps:

Also while I had it down I put in the AKG DSSR. Makes absolutely no difference in side-to-side play while you are in gear, that's internal to the transmission. It does feel a bit more "crisp", but I don't think it's any type of upgrade:

I also removed all the airbags and module (no pics, pretty straight forward):
Steering wheel - remove center section, you can remove the explosive on the back of it by just unbolting it.
Passenger side - remove trim, remove glove box, remove side vent
Curtain air bags - these were a hassle. You need to partially undo the dashboard on each side so you can squeeze the detonator through the side of the dash. Unbolt and remove.
Side airbags - remove door panel, break $15 worth of plastic clips and stripped screws, unbolt airbag, fiddle with connector, give up and cut off.
Module - remove and tape off ground

Total this is probably less than 15lbs, no airbag light, but I'm getting a seat belt light now. Going to look into coding that out, along with SAP and windshield wiper light so I can remove those too.

Last edited by CrookedCommie; Thu, Jul-06-2017 at 07:47:31 PM.
Old Wed, Mar-22-2017, 07:29:17 PM   #44
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Are you getting a lot of heat coming up from below?

Quote:
Old Wed, Mar-22-2017, 07:32:25 PM   #45
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
Are you getting a lot of heat coming up from below?
To the point I was worried my weekend bag would start smoking. The passenger side is by the headers too which doesn't help. I'll report back this weekend, it's supposed to be in the 70's down in Atlanta.
Old Wed, Mar-22-2017, 09:22:47 PM   #46
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

I had some of that same adhesive backed heat shielding laying around, so I put it between the body and the elbow there in my car. I hope it helped? No one noticed lol

Quote:
Old Tue, Mar-28-2017, 06:21:20 PM   #47
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
I had some of that same adhesive backed heat shielding laying around, so I put it between the body and the elbow there in my car. I hope it helped? No one noticed lol
Tested it on the way down to Road Atlanta this weekend. The thermal wrap didn't do anything, but filling up the A/C with freon worked, so I'm pretty comfortable now.

I'm testing out the caliper temp with these Brembo stickers, but at the end of the weekend, the sticker looks exactly the same. Not sure what I'm supposed to look for, and they came with no instructions. Might try some temp paint next, 400F and 450F to see where I'm at.

I screwed up and turned early into T6 with too much speed - bailed out into the dirt, the combination of sand and abs did not stop the car fast enough. Kissed the tire wall and broke my kidneys. Looks like ECS has some cheap black ones that are supposed to fit well. Everything else can be buffed out, pretty lucky!

Got these codes at the end of the day Sunday, but the car still pulls hard and is running fine on track. I stopped by L2Motorsports who are right down the paddock at Road Atlanta, they ran the codes and checked around. The throttle position was registering fine at the pedal and actuator, the tech said the O2 sensors are running slow, replace them and see if the codes come back. He also noticed the throttle actuator was whining and told me to keep an eye on it. I have two new O2 sensors on the way, but if anybody else has any ideas please let me know!

Last edited by CrookedCommie; Thu, Jul-06-2017 at 07:48:46 PM.
Old Tue, Mar-28-2017, 07:50:37 PM   #48
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
Tested it on the way down to Road Atlanta this weekend. The thermal wrap didn't do anything, but filling up the A/C with freon worked, so I'm pretty comfortable now.

Quote:
I'm testing out the caliper temp with these Brembo stickers, but at the end of the weekend, the sticker looks exactly the same. Not sure what I'm supposed to look for, and they came with no instructions. Might try some temp paint next, 400F and 450F to see where I'm at.
Are you running ducting?

So, I have these but from Alcon. I also used them on my Brembo BBK with my E92M. They turn black when they hit a particular temperature. I place mine on the brake caliper clip, but they were reading really low so I just moved them to the same location as you.

I tried out some genesis paint and it was way better than the AP Racing stuff I normally use. It has a lot more color gradients and goes up higher than the highest color in my AP Racing paint kit.

No ducting on my car and I was at the upper limit of the pads. 1250*F!

Quote:
I screwed up and turned early into T6 with too much speed - bailed out into the dirt, the combination of sand and abs did not stop the car fast enough. Kissed the tire wall and broke my kidneys. Looks like ECS has some cheap black ones that are supposed to fit well. Everything else can be buffed out, pretty lucky!
Close one!

What paint? #BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Got these codes at the end of the day Sunday, but the car still pulls hard and is running fine on track. I stopped by L2Motorsports who are right down the paddock at Road Atlanta, they ran the codes and checked around. The throttle position was registering fine at the pedal and actuator, the tech said the O2 sensors are running slow, replace them and see if the codes come back. He also noticed the throttle actuator was whining and told me to keep an eye on it. I have two new O2 sensors on the way, but if anybody else has any ideas please let me know!
The TVA issue plagues the E9x platform, I assume the S54 has a single TVA that also has plastic gears and is rested on top of the motor where the electronics are prone to heat soak?

Quote:
Old Tue, Mar-28-2017, 07:55:33 PM   #49
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Awesome thanks man. No ducting which is why I wanted to check the temps to see if I even need it. I'll try out that paint - I looked around for the Alcon stickers but they might have been out of stock so I grabbed the Brembo, maybe it's not sticking to the caliper because I didn't put it in a flat place? I'll try again at the next event.

I'm going to pull up INPA and see what it says regarding the codes. It could be the TPS, gas pedal, or the actuator. I'm going to replace the one TPS at the front by the oil filter housing and test to see if I can get the code back. Not too worried, even if worse case scenario it's a throttle actuator I'll just grab a used one and throw it in ($100) vs new ($500+).
Old Tue, Mar-28-2017, 08:13:00 PM   #50
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

FWIW I got my Alcon stickers off of fleaBay.

Quote: