BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Tue, Jan-07-2020, 08:57:17 PM   #1
ATB88

United States

Default Kassel HP DME

I'm planning on upgrading to a CSL airbox in a few months through the Turner group buy, and my car currently is running a non-HP DME, so I'm going to have to upgrade.

Looking at ebay, it seems like my cheapest and most reliable bet for getting an HP DME is through Kassel: https://www.kasselperformance.com/pr...s54-hp-tuning/

I can get an HP DME sent to me for $369.

They offer options for EWS delete ($109), and for VIN recoding ($20).

Questions:

1. Do I need EWS delete? Assuming that I have DIS (I do), can I not re-code my EWS to a new DME? And that will allow me to keep my current EWS and ignition key cylinder? That's a completely straightforward process, right? Seems like a trivial way to save $109.

2. VIN recoding obviously seems important -- I assume that without this nothing will work? Is this something there's an easy tool for? I assume this is probably worth the $20 rather than trying to figure out how to do it myself.

3. Assuming everything in my 01/2002 car is completely stock (pre-CSL box), is an HP DME completely plug and play in a non-HP car? I know that there were a few emissions related bits added to the intake system in later years, but those were later than the introduction of the HP DME right? So pre and post HP cars should plug and play an HP just the same and it will be able to see what bits you have when you plug it in?

(also, yes I know I could send in my current non-HP to Kassel to be "upgraded" to an HP for about $130 less, but having my original DME on hand with stock tune will be useful for emissions etc so I would prefer to have both)

Thanks for the help!
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-07-2020, 09:14:45 PM   #2
eacmen

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Kassel HP DME

I could be wrong but I believe if you want to be able to swap DMEs then the EWS needs to be deleted.

You don't *need* to recode the VIN but it's a good idea if you ever bring that ECU in for emmissions.
[RIP] 2001 E46 M3, Tilton Triple Disc Clutch, JRZ RS2 (750/650), ST-40 332mm front BBK, BW TA16 Square 18x9.5, RE-71R 265/35R19, Redish Motorsport Plates, Mason X-Brace, Mason Front Strut Bar, RaceCapture Pro MK3 w/custom Raspberry Pi Dash.

Jump to top eacmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-08-2020, 12:01:52 AM   #3
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

You can only sync EWS if the previous EWS info is wiped from the DME, which can only be done via BDM. It's unclear if Kassel is doing that.

That said, EWS delete is stupid easy, as is entering your VIN info. So don't pay extra for that.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-08-2020, 06:43:40 PM   #4
ATB88

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
You can only sync EWS if the previous EWS info is wiped from the DME, which can only be done via BDM. It's unclear if Kassel is doing that.

That said, EWS delete is stupid easy, as is entering your VIN info. So don't pay extra for that.
Ah, I see. So, using the DIS procedure for syncing your EWS to your DME is only designed to work for factory fresh DMEs hence will only work on a used DME if BDM is used to wipe the old EWS info. Thanks.

As for EWS delete -- I see threads talking about it where they use ECUWorx tool to code it out (stupid easy), which is the extent of what Kassel would be able to do. But the threads also talk about re-wiring stuff (not that hard, but would like to avoid if possible). It's unclear to me if the re-wiring is necessary to make the car run no matter what once you've coded the EWS out, or if the re-wiring is only necessary if you want to physically remove the EWS module from the car (for weight savings)?
Old Wed, Jan-08-2020, 08:11:33 PM   #5
repoman89

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I had my HP converted to CSL/H-bridge spec and firmware by him. It came back with the csl bootloader and a few options ticked for my car (6-speed, seems to have your 2004+ alternator fix in there somehow, etc). Wouldn't fire up until I synced EWS with INPA which if I understand it correctly means the EWS info was wiped.
Jump to top repoman89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-08-2020, 10:57:20 PM   #6
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB88 View Post
Ah, I see. So, using the DIS procedure for syncing your EWS to your DME is only designed to work for factory fresh DMEs hence will only work on a used DME if BDM is used to wipe the old EWS info. Thanks.

As for EWS delete -- I see threads talking about it where they use ECUWorx tool to code it out (stupid easy), which is the extent of what Kassel would be able to do. But the threads also talk about re-wiring stuff (not that hard, but would like to avoid if possible). It's unclear to me if the re-wiring is necessary to make the car run no matter what once you've coded the EWS out, or if the re-wiring is only necessary if you want to physically remove the EWS module from the car (for weight savings)?
Rewiring is only necessary if you want to remove the module from your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoman89 View Post
I had my HP converted to CSL/H-bridge spec and firmware by him. It came back with the csl bootloader and a few options ticked for my car (6-speed, seems to have your 2004+ alternator fix in there somehow, etc). Wouldn't fire up until I synced EWS with INPA which if I understand it correctly means the EWS info was wiped.
Cool, shouldn't need to EWS delete then.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-08-2020, 11:07:30 PM   #7
ATB88

United States

Awesome! Thanks all!
Old Thu, Jan-09-2020, 04:26:47 PM   #8
repoman89

In the garage:

United States

Now that I think about it more I think I requested on the receipt I sent in with the DME that he not delete EWS and instead either leave the data as is (not possible or at least easy I think) or wipe it. Not sure what he'd do without a specific request.
Jump to top repoman89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-09-2020, 06:51:13 PM   #9
jbfrancis3

United States

I just sent my CSL-coverted ECU back to Kassel to examine why the VIN on the ECU was zero'ed out. This caused my failure of state emissions in Virginia, I am assuming. My converted ECU was also experiencing issues being reflashed by TTFS.

When I originally received my converted ECU back from Kassel, it worked perfectly in the vehicle; no EWS issues.

The ECU arrived at Kassel today. I anticipate hearing back from Jim in the next week.
Old Tue, Jan-14-2020, 03:18:47 PM   #10
jbfrancis3

United States

Just to follow up on my own remarks above:
- I heard back from Jim today. Continued excellent support as I have stated before.
- The factory ECU that I sent to Jim already contained a "zero'ed out" VIN number of sorts, as documented on the front cover of my ECU. He was matching the cover. Its possible the ECU was replaced under prior ownership and the chassis VIN was coded to the new ECU.
- There were no flashing issues detected at Kassel, including use of different platforms.